The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time - Magical Discoveries

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
True, but you have to remember that is one way for them to make a profit, stretch out the series to as many dvd's as they can, instead of it being as few as possible.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I agree.  You could easily fit 10 episodes on one disk.  The quality reduction wouldn't even be noticeable. :p

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
Well I have to agree on that since pokemon and some other cartoons have at least 7 to 8 episodes on each DVD and usually do box sents in volumes.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I do wish they'd put a decent amount on each dvd instead of trying to stretch out the series onto as many dvd's as possible.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
^ Of course I agree with that, but basically the length of a TV episodes DvD is roughly the same as that of a sequel DvD.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jul 17 2008 on  04:13 PM
^ Of course I agree with that, but basically the length of a TV episodes DvD is roughly the same as that of a sequel DvD.
That's no excuse with dual-layer dvds.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That's no excuse with dual-layer dvds.
dual-layer DVDs are more expensive and more easily damaged (scratches are more likely to cause read errors): two traits I can see making them rather unappealing.  I'm not sure on the compatibility of old DVD players (1st or 2nd gen) with dual-layer DVDs either.

Discs that are even easier to damage than normal DVDs...in the hands of kids...I'll pass. :p

Still though, 4 episodes per release should at least come at a cheaper price.  That's pretty harsh... <_<

(I'm still waiting for a release of the original LBT on blu-ray. :p)

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
True that, Tim. Still, at least something's going on at Universal, blu-ray or not.

And as for the cover, frankly, they could have put Grandpa and Threehorn doing the can-can and I'd be happy, just the DVD's existence proves that at least something LBT's going on over there.

Not that I'm going to buy it. I'm waiting for when the whole enchilada comes out in one box set.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Jul 20 2008 on  01:12 AM
True that, Tim. Still, at least something's going on at Universal, blu-ray or not.

And as for the cover, frankly, they could have put Grandpa and Threehorn doing the can-can and I'd be happy, just the DVD's existence proves that at least something LBT's going on over there.

Not that I'm going to buy it. I'm waiting for when the whole enchilada comes out in one box set.
How about that with Petrie, Ducky, or Ruby shaking some maracas?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
With animated videos, the movie file/files can be compressed A LOT more than a standard video and still look all right.  I was able to put LBT 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 on one disk WITH all of the menus and everything.  I'm sure Universal could fit a lot more onto one of the tv episode disks.

Think of it this way.  I can take a DVD rip of a LBT movie that's usually 700mb and I can increase it's size to 5gb or even higher.  The quality isn't more, but it takes up more space.  That's what they've done with the tv eps so they can excuse taking up an entire disk for 4 episodes.  I've played around and I was able to get 12 episodes on one disk without noticeable degradation even on my uncles 42" widescreen TV.  Even DVD quality disks shouldn't be more than 2,500kps and have a higher resolution than the standard....720x480 or 1280x720 or 1920x1080(HD DVD).  If they encoded DVDs right, they wouldn't take up any more than a gig or 2.  A standard DVD is 4.2gb, and a dual layer is 8 something (I'm not sure.  I don't use dual layer.).  More compression is possible and realistic with animated movies.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If Paramount can get an entire season of their various star trek series on 7 disks including whatever extras they have, I'd guess universal could put LBT on less then 6 or 7 episodes if they really wanted to.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Jul 20 2008 on  10:12 PM
Welcome to Capitalism. Population:Getting richer.
And where the words "We care about what we do" have been forgotten.

Anyways, I can't wait for this to come out.  I'll put it up onto my computer the moment I get it.

On top of that, I'll make the vids for the songs that are in the 4 episodes.

Hmm... I wonder what the next one will be named. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They are likely just milking things as far as they can.  That is often one of the side effects of the capitalist system.  It's not all benefits.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jul 20 2008 on  12:06 AM
With animated videos, the movie file/files can be compressed A LOT more than a standard video and still look all right.  I was able to put LBT 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 on one disk WITH all of the menus and everything.  I'm sure Universal could fit a lot more onto one of the tv episode disks.

Think of it this way.  I can take a DVD rip of a LBT movie that's usually 700mb and I can increase it's size to 5gb or even higher.  The quality isn't more, but it takes up more space.  That's what they've done with the tv eps so they can excuse taking up an entire disk for 4 episodes.  I've played around and I was able to get 12 episodes on one disk without noticeable degradation even on my uncles 42" widescreen TV.  Even DVD quality disks shouldn't be more than 2,500kps and have a higher resolution than the standard....720x480 or 1280x720 or 1920x1080(HD DVD).  If they encoded DVDs right, they wouldn't take up any more than a gig or 2.  A standard DVD is 4.2gb, and a dual layer is 8 something (I'm not sure.  I don't use dual layer.).  More compression is possible and realistic with animated movies.
As my own recent study of video compression has shown, it is no surprise that EVERY DVD has compressed video, sound, etc.  You see, when I did a DV recording of my VHS version of LBT 2 and put it in BEST quality with my VHS converter, I found the movie alone (From the WARNING notice up to when the credits ended.) to be over 16 GB. (Which I got rid of after I was done compressing it into a 550 .wmv file. (Note: Still learning how to compress properally here.  Give me a break.)) Yeah, that's pretty big, but think of it this way...

It is UNCOMPRESSED in all fields.  So it is no surprise it takes up so much space.  Copyright DVDs use .vob format, which is a nice start for compressing video, sound, etc.  Just about any DVD ripper out there can take the .vob format and compress it into a smaller file, or even uncompress it into a bigger file, some of which are incredibly simple in doing so. (Magic being one of several I've tried myself that I highly recommend for any beginner in this.) Of course, seeing how LBT 2 alone is over 16 GB when uncompressed from a VHS, it makes you wonder just how big the 2 hours or longer movies were back then. (My prediction says that the 3 hour and 6 minute long Titanic would be 40 GB+.  Now there's a big file for ya. :blink:)

For the sake of our computers, lets be glad it's all compressed.  I could definately see Universal fitting the whole TV Series onto 2 to 3 disks without wasting the quality of it.  Sadly, their head wants money more than anything right now, so we have to suffer with 3 times as many. -_-

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Here are the featured eps:

The Amazing Threehorn Girl
Return to Hanging Rock
Search for the Sky-color Stones
Days of Rising Waters

I look forward to this, especially to seeing Ducky's dark side for myself.  It will be interesting but at the same time teach folks that everyone has a dark side :yes.  Anyhoo, I can't wait to see these :D.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've seen this dvd on the shelves in france. Decided not to buy it.. Because it was French only :p I might get some dvd's from america or something, as I dont think the dutch will ever see the tv series...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Some interesting episodes.  Ducky's dark side, Ruby's family appears, Ducky teaches someone something (I'll not say anymore to avoid spoilers)

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
They could have done a better job thought.I looks like Cera is pirate hording shiny stones.