The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Wired or Wireless Mouse?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I bought a fancy new mouse not that long ago that flashes different colours. I was really happy with it, but now the wheel has stopped working correctly. It sure makes it annoying when I'm playing Minecraft and trying to scroll through my inventory hotbar.
:opetrie

This is the worst. I have 3 old mice lying around, all with this issue. Either the mouse wheel no longer clicks or it scrolls incorrectly. I wonder if it can be easily fixed somehow, but mine are usually just discarded and replaced.

I've recently replaced my wired mouse at home with one that can be used both as wired and wireless. Really happy with the purchase so far and really hoping the scroll wheel lasts longer.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Huh. None of the mouses I've ever used had a mouse wheel problem. They work fine all the way to their expiration date!

StardustSoldier, you tend to get things in the pink color variety I notice. ;)
It's a cool mouse, I'll say. I'm not sure if I'd spend more unnecessary money on products for pure asethetics, but that's my personal opinion on that. :)

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
This is the worst. I have 3 old mice lying around, all with this issue. Either the mouse wheel no longer clicks or it scrolls incorrectly. I wonder if it can be easily fixed somehow, but mine are usually just discarded and replaced.

I've recently replaced my wired mouse at home with one that can be used both as wired and wireless. Really happy with the purchase so far and really hoping the scroll wheel lasts longer.
Huh. None of the mouses I've ever used had a mouse wheel problem. They work fine all the way to their expiration date!

This is the first time in a long time that I've had a mouse wheel problem. Usually my mice stop working properly because the click button becomes too sensitive and then it'll keep double-clicking when I don't want it too. Still, yeah, it's probably time for me to get another mouse.

StardustSoldier, you tend to get things in the pink color variety I notice. ;)

You know, when you originally brought this up on my Ask thread if pink was my favourite colour, based on my purchasing history, I only thought about my headphones. I completely forgot about this. At the time, however, I was just looking for a basic wired mouse because I needed a new one. I didn't realize it came with the spiffy colours until after I set it up. The light on the mouse flashes between blue, pink, and red, and I just so happened to take the photo when it was on pink.

So, while the pink headphones were a deliberate decision, this was a coincidence. Thus, I don't actually have a habit of buying pink products, despite how it may have seemed. :P

It's a cool mouse, I'll say. I'm not sure if I'd spend more unnecessary money on products for pure asethetics, but that's my personal opinion on that. :)

In many cases that's how I feel as well. But this mouse only cost me $20. And, as I mentioned, I didn't know about the neat colours originally anyway, although it's cheap enough and the colours impressed me enough that I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a fancier mouse in the future.

Then again, maybe the fact that it was so cheap explains why it doesn't work properly any more. :rolleyes
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 04:31:56 PM by StardustSoldier »

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

In many cases that's how I feel as well. But this mouse only cost me $20. And, as I mentioned, I didn't know about the neat colours originally anyway, although it's cheap enough and the colours impressed me enough that I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a fancier mouse in the future.

Then again, maybe the fact that it was so cheap explains why it doesn't work properly any more. :rolleyes

Haha, the mouse would've been better for its price if it didn't have those flashy pink, blue, and red colors. They might of perhaps sacrificed quality for pure looks. :rolleyes

Also, the next time that you purchase a more expensive mouse with flashy lights, *coincidentally* take the picture when it lights up at pink again. :p

At the moment, I really enjoy the wireless mouse I'm using. I don't feel so restricted using it unlike the wired mouse. :)

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I want to get another mouse with colourful lights, although we'll see if my next one has pink as one of the colours or not. Regardless, I will take a photo of it to show you guys.
:cerahappy

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
I guess I was a bit prejudiced about a wireless mouse, because I am using one with my laptop and it has been working flawlessly thus far. It's a Logitech mouse, but do not ask me exactly what, cause I do not know the answer to that question as I happened to buy the cheapest and best I could find so I wouldn't have to unplug my desktop mouse every time I wanted to use my laptop instead. I think it really matters which manufacturer you buy the mouse from in the end.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 12:15:29 PM by Anagnos »

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&amp;Tomato) on July 02, 2012, 11:26:50 AM
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on July 02, 2012, 11:26:50 AM
No gamer should ever use wireless anything unless they want their character to just stop responding to your input, usually at the worst possible time.
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&amp;Tomato) on September 09, 2017, 02:18:41 PM
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on September 09, 2017, 02:18:41 PM
If you're a gamer, never use wireless.

5 years of straight facts

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
Also, I noticed that someone else commented about their mouse wheel problem, and I have one myself. Actually, I've had this for quite a while now and it's starting to get to the point I can't stand it anymore. My current desktop mouse is pretty old by now, so no wonder if the equipment will start to malfunction sooner or later. Nevertheless, I can live with it for the time being, but I would most definitely welcome another one if I found one that's to my liking, which sadly hasn't occurred yet.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I still use wired mouses, although I wouldn't mind giving wireless another try sometime. I'm not super-keen about having to use a battery, but on the other hand I do have tons of spare batteries that are currently sitting there unused.

Anyway, I fixed my mouse wheel problem... sort of. The wheel causes me the most grief when I'm playing Minecraft, and I always play Minecraft on my desktop. So what I did is swap my desktop and laptop mouses, as my laptop mouse wheel is currently working fine. I still need to get a new mouse to replace the one with the broken wheel, but in the meantime this has eased a lot of the pain.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 05:16:24 PM by StardustSoldier »

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

This is the first time in a long time that I've had a mouse wheel problem. Usually my mice stop working properly because the click button becomes too sensitive and then it'll keep double-clicking when I don't want it too. Still, yeah, it's probably time for me to get another mouse.

Seems I may have jinxed myself when I said that. Just yesterday the mouse wheel on my desktop (formerly laptop) mouse stopped working completely. :( And meanwhile, the mouse I currently have connected to my laptop still has a broken (but still semi-functional) wheel. Looks like Minecraft will have to wait until I can get myself a new mouse.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
When I played Minecraft back in the day StardustSoldier, I never used my mouse scroll. I just used the numbers on the keyboard at the top that correspond to each individual item slot. It’s so much faster and easier that way in my opinion. Also, you won’t accidentally skip over the item slot you desire, which is a problem with mouse scrolling. So, I’ll say that Minecraft is still perfectly functional, if not better that the scroll function is gone.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have used the keyboard numbers before to select my inventory items, and indeed I was doing that earlier when dealing with my faulty mice. Personally, though, I find the scroll wheel easier than having to reach up and press the number each time... but then again, that may only because the former is what I'm so used to. But since I posted my above message, I have gotten replacement mice, so all is well in the world again. :D

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Does almost everyone here have some kind of problem with their mouses most of the time, either by breakage or half-functional use? I honestly wonder where you people buy your stuff. :lol

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

glionameghan

• Ruby
    • View Profile
It depends on your personal choice, though my suggestion would be to buy a wireless mouse.

There are several advantages and disadvantages for using wired as well as a wireless mouse.

Wired Mouse vs Wireless Mouse:

1.Wired mouse has a limited space to move and the cable restricts your free movement. Wireless mouse has much larger movable area and the area depends on the range of the receiver.
2.For wireless mouse, you need to consider the battery. Since it is running on battery, the charge will get depleted very fast if you do not manually switch off the power button on the mouse. For wired mouse there is no battery required as it draws power direct through USB.
3.Sometimes the signal from the wireless receiver can get intercepted if you have other wireless devices functioning in the vicinity and can delay the screen response time for the mouse pointer. For wired mouse this condition does not happen.
4.For free movement and cable tangle free movement, wireless mouse is more advantageous compared to a wired mouse.
5.If you are using a wireless keyboard, some mouse manufacturers such as Logitech allows users to use multiple devices using one receiver know as unifying receiver. This will allow users to free up USB ports for other devices. Users can connect mouse, keyboard and pen with a singe unifying

Trinder

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Wireless is usually for more hardcore people, why? Because it’s more expensive. Wireless mice tend to be at least twice as expensive as a similar non-wired mouse. It also breaks more often so you need more money and there’s more headache attached to it.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile