The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Useless Sharptooth Showcase - September 2020

rhombus · 32 · 6520

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Oof... well, don't worry.  I'm sure you will get them one day!  :bestsharptooth

----------------

In this topic please feel free to discuss the useless sharptooth from LBT VI as a character, or discuss any other overlooked sharptooth from the series, to share your own creations (fanfics or fanart), or to mention some of your favorite fanworks of others involving them.  For a full set of rules please see the 2020 Monthly Character Showcase topic but keep in mind that this is meant to be fun as opposed to any sort of contest.

I will go ahead and get the discussion started with the following question:

Do you think the useless sharptooth from LBT VI is the ultimate representation of futility in the series, or should another predator/antagonist take that title?

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm upset that the gif does not show Dinah and Danah leap frogging away from him  :bestsharptooth

But yeah, this guy with the addition of Dinah and Danah are the reasons why I find it difficult to watch this movie haha. Like the sharpteeth in LBT13 are pretty bad but not on the level of a longneck walking into your mouth willingly and somehow still getting out alive  :PCera

Nanotyrannus

• Junior synonym
  • Chomper
  • i'll put something here eventually
    • View Profile
I'm pretty confident that I've spent more time discussing this one specific sharptooth with people on the wiki than I have characters like Bron, Tria or Ali. Make of that what you will.

Speaking as someone who has spent 70% of his time buried in the sharptooth aspect of the series over things like stories and actual characters, and as someone who is decently fresh off of all fourteen of the movies, I think it's inoffensive as far as sharpteeth go; it is lame, but at least it does more than just stand around and roar and trip over tiny pebbles like some of the later ones - heck, I don't even think it's the worst in its own movie, I would argue that that honor goes to the random T. rex that pops up at a point during the climax.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
"useless sharptooth" - general name for all LBT sequels sharpteeth... sigh...
And this one is from my least favorite LBT movie.
Well, honestly, I can't say if this sharptooth is the true "ultimate representation of futility in the series" o not. I can remember a couple "good" or "amazing" things this sharptooth did during his appearance, but still... I dunno.
I never tried to select one sharptooth from all of them and get him title of the most useuless ever.  Yeah, I think Stupid Claws from TV series, despite my talks about him, is not the worst-worst, just being regular character and talks about him how he is "the best" make his the most "notable", so I automatically blame him for sins of all of his predecessors. XD
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
Well, he's certainly more than earned his epithet in the series. Useless describes him perfectly. Then again, most of the sharpteeth in the films/TV series have been pretty useless, aside from LBT1 Sharptooth as he was a genuine threat. I'd even add that Red Claw (as useless as he is) actually represents more of a danger to the Gang and their relatives than the sharptooth from LBT6. If you can't wipe out somebody who is literally in your mouth, you're the most useless creature in the whole wide world. I have to agree with Flathead that this makes it difficult to watch the film without rolling your eyes in irritation. I guess Littlefoot just has very good plot armor. :bronGoodJob

Hammy

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Been rewatching all the sequels (and honestly enjoying them a lot more than I think I ever have), and boy, can't think of a more appropriate nickname for this Sharptooth. For a movie that emphasizes how much of a western hero Doc is, it would have been nice to have an even slightly more threatening Sharptooth. I have to imagine that this Sharptooth is only threatening to the kids because they're, well, kids, and the movie is from their perspective. Come on, guys, even just a little scratch on Littlefoot could have helped. A little.

Even with all that being said, I still love the movie. The whole "the real hero is Grandpa" gets me every friggin' time.

"It's a good thing Sharptooth aren't very smart." No, I think this Sharptooth is just especially special even as sequel Sharpteeth go.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
"It's a good thing Sharptooth aren't very smart." No, I think this Sharptooth is just especially special even as sequel Sharpteeth go.

There are very few that could in truth be called clever. I suppose you could say that Chomper's folks are one of the smarter ones, but even they have their dumb moments. This universe likes to treat their kind in an extremely unfair way. :cry

Sarah

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
After a quick research I found out, that the only realistic scene, where this sharptooth appears in, is off all scenes the scene, where he isn't able to bite through the branch in his mouth. In fact "it was found out, that Allosaurus did not bite particularly hard."( Dinosaur Encyclopedia 2009). So I think if the only realistic behaviour this sharptooth shows us is, that he isn't able to eat the longneck, that had climbed into his mouth, then he is pretty useless.I like the fact that another dinosaur from the jurassic period appears in this film and in fact this sharptooth keeps the story moving forward well. But he really wasn't scary or dangerous. Did you know, that the name Allosaurus means "different lizard"? This sharptooth was definitely different than the others, but not in a good way. Compared to any other sharptooth, he absolutely deserves the name "useless sharptooth".

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
I'm pretty confident that I've spent more time discussing this one specific sharptooth with people on the wiki than I have characters like Bron, Tria or Ali. Make of that what you will.

Speaking as someone who has spent 70% of his time buried in the sharptooth aspect of the series over things like stories and actual characters, and as someone who is decently fresh off of all fourteen of the movies, I think it's inoffensive as far as sharpteeth go; it is lame, but at least it does more than just stand around and roar and trip over tiny pebbles like some of the later ones - heck, I don't even think it's the worst in its own movie, I would argue that that honor goes to the random T. rex that pops up at a point during the climax.

Oh yeah, you and I had a lot of discussions about that guy (and the other sharpteeth too) on the wiki from 2017-2019, that’s for sure...

Given that Allosaurus is my favorite dinosaur, I was hoping that they would have done something to make it more scary. The only thing impressive about it was the fact it survived that fall...
At least the music tracks accompanying the scenes in which it appeared were dramatic enough: Sharptooth and the Earthquake, of course, and also that one theme from the original where Littlefoot saves his friends at the Mountains That Burn. I think that played twice; first time was the Michael Tavera remix and then the original Horner version.
But despite that, the music doesn’t completely save the Allosaurus. However, I do have fond childhood memories of watching VI on DVD, seeing it on top of the log, slowly moving towards the stuck Spike; that is a scene that is embedded in my head forever, for some reason. Was it useless? No, it served a purpose in the plot. Littlefoot probably wouldn’t have been able to attempt to “fix” the “bad luck” without it falling to its apparent death. What else was he going to do - go look that random T. rex that was out there?
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Goldenwind

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
He did serve it's purpose for the story, but wow was his threat level close to:  :bestsharptooth . Despite this, I think he is the least passionate of the reasons I have for movie 6 being my second least favorite of the franchise. (I've ranted about my least favorite movie enough for you all to know what it is.  :rolleye )

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh boy!  There are reasons I don't like The Secret of Saurus Rock.  This Sharptooth being one of them. (Dinah and Dana, along with Littlefoot are high on that list too.)

I mean, this Sharptooth was just terrible.  He was bad as a Sharptooth and I'm glad he was killed off at the end.  Good riddance!  We don't need something this bad in the movies.  One of the worst Sharpteeth ever.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
I guess I must never have noticed what a joke this guy was when I was a kid, because upon first joining this forum and reading of his reputation, I couldn't really remember anything that made him more pathetic than other sequel sharpteeth. However, Bro and I recently watched this movie again for the first time in quite a while...and sure enough. :p I mean, he stood behind Cera and growled like a doofus for how long before finally lunging? Even the TV show sharpteeth could probably beat this guy in a fight!

ToasttheLBT14carno

• Ruby
  • Uhhhhhh..... Hi?
    • View Profile
Well, yeah the Allosaurus in VI is fairly useless and it looks nothing like an Allosaurus, but hey at least it has the most amazing sounds ever........right? And kinda like what Hypno said, the music that plays during all 3 scenes with the Allo are frickin awesome. I mean, you can't go wrong with Sharptooth And The Earthquake now can you? Plus this sharptooth is nowhere near as useless as that green t.rex from the same movie. But this Allosaurus needs some aimbot or something, it just always seems to miss it's bites
TOAST!!

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
What is with this franchise and giving certain sharptooth species two fingers when their supposed to have three fingers In fact that inaccuracy started with this guy. Though in some shots this sharptooth does have three fingers so why doesn't it have three fingers the entire time? :thinking

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
What is with this franchise and giving certain sharptooth species two fingers when their supposed to have three fingers In fact that inaccuracy started with this guy. Though in some shots this sharptooth does have three fingers so why doesn't it have three fingers the entire time? :thinking

That always annoyed me, too! But Chomper got the finger inaccuracy worst of all... :ChomperOhNo He has two in LBT 2, then has grown an inaccurate third by LBT 5!

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I think they give Chomper three fingers so that he could grab things. That doesn't make the fact that he has three fingers better but there's a reason they did it. Oh yeah they gave the quote on qoute Allosaurus in Journey of The Brave four fingers. :facepalm

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I think they give Chomper three fingers so that he could grab things. That doesn't make the fact that he has three fingers better but there's a reason they did it. Oh yeah they gave the quote on qoute Allosaurus in Journey of The Brave four fingers. :facepalm

Good point, that's what must have been going on with Chomper...at least he has an explanation. :ChomperOhhh

Wait, there was an Allosaurus in LBT 14? Refresh my memory, I can't remember it. :confused

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Since animators cut one of five fingers of cartoon characters in various cartoons, I don't mind if some sharteeth, on the contrary, have extra one. :D
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Good point, that's what must have been going on with Chomper...at least he has an explanation. :ChomperOhhh

Wait, there was an Allosaurus in LBT 14? Refresh my memory, I can't remember it. :confused
The Featherhead sharpteeth last year were revealed to be Allosaurus by one of the storyboard artists on JOTB Llyn Hunter. That's why I put in quote on quote because they look nothing like Allosaurus. The head shape is completely wrong. I mean this guy's head shape was also wrong but the ones in XIV are more wrong. Why didn't they make them Yutyrannus which is what people originally thought they were. Also while the feathers are nice Allosaurus most likely didn't have feathers as far as I am concerned. I would normally be great with inaccurate dinosaur desings in LBT but this is just too much. Okay tangent over.