The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT features i real life

kjeldo · 14 · 1674

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
Did one of you ever thought of the connection between the fact that Spike and Tippi (who are Stegosauri) have impaired or no speech at all and the fact that Stegosauri had small brains?

Use this topic to post more of these links! :idea

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ah okay That doesn't mean anything Spike is a great character still.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes, I thought of that. There probably is a connection, but it is not based on scientific fact. All the Gang members are of the same intelligence, even though the encephalization quotient suggests there were large gaps in intelligence among their species in reality. According to the EQ, Littlefoot should be the dumbest by far, with Spike a distant second, then a smaller gap to Cera, then a small gap a Petrie, a small gap to Ducky, a small gap to Chomper and then a large gap to Ruby, which should be the smartest by far. But since the people who creted LBT are not paleontologists, maybe the popular image of "the dumb stegosaur" made the authors choose the "slower" member of the Gang to be a stegosaur. The authors catered to public opinion here.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Well, it just seems that with some of the dinosaurs, they take aspects of their biology, and use them to create their personality. As well as having the spiketails all being a little dim, I notice that they seem to have gotten the whole thing of oviraptors being smart, with Ruby being a rather philosophical character sometimes. Plus, I dunno why, but I always imagine her parents being the dinosaur equivalent of scientists.

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Ceras trait in LBT to crush stones and other things with her horn is male mating behaviour. But the funny thing here is that she is a female dinosaur.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Quote from: Dilopho,Jul 2 2011 on  06:09 AM
Ceras trait in LBT to crush stones and other things with her horn is male mating behaviour. But the funny thing here is that she is a female dinosaur.
Hmmm....Perhaps referring to how she was originally going to be a male threehorn?

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Allicloud,Jul 2 2011 on  07:48 AM
Quote from: Dilopho,Jul 2 2011 on  06:09 AM
Hmmm....Perhaps referring to how she was originally going to be a male threehorn?
Or she could just be more of a tomgirl. She kind of acts like it in my eyes.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
She acts like a stuck up. Even tho she needs help she won't admit it.

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Brain size alone actually does not determine intelligence. For instance, bees are able to do mathematics and can instantly calculate the fastest route to destinations but their brains are extremely tiny. Crows and ravens are able to quickly learn how to fashion tools without anyone teaching them and have learned how to crack open a nut by dropping it front of cars, and even learned how to use sidewalks and wait for the red light to cross, and their brains are also very small.

The notion that the bigger the brain, the smarter you are is incorrect. The truth is that there's more to intelligence than just the size of the brain. The true factor in intelligence lies in the neurons. The more well connected they are, the more hardwired the brain is, the smarter the animal. Insects are likely to be just as smart as any large animal, and animals like birds can be very sophisticated toolmakers, but we don't think of it because we tend to think brain size is the deciding factor in intelligence.

And here's something else that's quite interesting. Some people are starting to believe that crows are able to talk to each other. And I don't mean like vocal signals or body languages. I mean an actual language. If this is true, and crows do have an actual language, something that was believed only humans possessed, it might be possible that some dinosaur species also had a language.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon, Jul 4 2011 on  02:35 AM
And here's something else that's quite interesting. Some people are starting to believe that crows are able to talk to each other. And I don't mean like vocal signals or body languages. I mean an actual language. If this is true, and crows do have an actual language, something that was believed only humans possessed, it might be possible that some dinosaur species also had a language.

All well, and I agree with you. That's why I said a higher brain-to-body-mass (EQ) suggests higher intelligence, but it is not 100% certain. Humans, bottlenose dolphins and chimpanzees for example have the highest EQs in the animal kingdom, and we know they are highly capable creatures. Humans have the highest EQ of all, and are so poweful as a species they have no natural enemies. To a human the greatest threat is another human.

Still, crows could throw a wrench into the workings of this theory, and that would open the possibility of previous existence of very intelligent dinosaurs. If only we could find some well-preserved brains...

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Birds have small brains but are really smart. And some birds can actually talk in human language.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie85,Jul 4 2011 on  05:21 PM
Birds have small brains but are really smart. And some birds can actually talk in human language.
My African Grey is proof of this.  Sometimes you can even converse with him :lol.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
That is awesome. Ever had a conversation with him?