The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What are you reading?

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Twilight.

By Stephanie Meyer.

Dear Lord give me the strength to finish this book.

By the way, it's just as terrible, if not more so, as what people say about it.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Quote from: LBTDiclonius,Aug 11 2013 on  03:22 AM
Twilight.

By Stephanie Meyer.

Dear Lord give me the strength to finish this book.

By the way, it's just as terrible, if not more so, as what people say about it.
Stop! Burn it, burn it with fire LBTDiclonius!   :p

I'm re-reading the Song Of Ice And Fire series for when George R R Martin released the next one.

buffypii

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/buffypii
I'm re-reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling.

Also reading Insurgent by Veronica Roth.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Think I'll start reading "The Admiral Benbow: The Life and Times of a Naval Legend" at work later today. Such an obscure admiral who led an interesting and ultimately tragic life, and it falls right in with my Caribbean theme I'm on now in preparation for my cruise. :smile

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
To me the bronies bible: The Elements Of Harmony

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
"Quantum Physics" by Stephen Gasiorowicz.

....................................................... :wacko .

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Nothing at the moment, but I did finish the audio version of Princess Academy: Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale. Brilliant book, written so beautifully and clearly.
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
These days, I read a lot of fanfictions for the FF Awards but I'm also reading the whole HP series having finished the fourth. I'll continue reading the fifth when I'm done with the fics (if school allows me time-wise, that is)
Inactive, probably forever.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Jurassic Park and Watership Down.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Finally managed to get around to reading 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ Great book! Read it awhile ago but still remember a lot of it. Only his second book but it's still pretty horrifying. Of course, I feel he truly comes into his own with his third book, The Shining, but I definitely thought his first two were good as well. :yes

I'm TRYING to finish Neptune's Inferno so I can move on to Ship of Ghosts, but... got a little sidetracked with an encyclopedia I bought last night about cruisers of WWII. :p

(runner up)
(runner up)

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ Great book! Read it awhile ago but still remember a lot of it. Only his second book but it's still pretty horrifying. Of course, I feel he truly comes into his own with his third book, The Shining, but I definitely thought his first two were good as well. :yes

Oh boy, The Shining is one of the creepiest books I have ever read. Even the part with the fire hose made me feel uncomfortable  :lol

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Not really the movie wasn't that creepy either.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Not really the movie wasn't that creepy either.
For you, maybe. I thought it was damn creepy, the Nicholson film maybe a little less so, but still pretty spooky.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
None of it was creepy I saw it at 13 and wasn't scared one bit. The whole movie was good just not creepy. I've seen scarier movies than the Shining with Jack Nicholson. So the creep factor isn't there.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ As said, that's your opinion. The Shining is rather regarded as one of his finest works, and I'm talking about the book, not the film. There are multiple reasons for this, from the way he made generally unsympathetic characters actually feel sympathetic, to overall feel of the book, to the nuclear family relations that suffer under the constraints of stress and "cabin fever."

But anyway, getting back to the book, yes, I enjoyed the book more than the movie, Bushwhacked, but then again I usually do anyway in those cases. :yes I'd say my favorite part was the topiary scene, with the hedge animals. That freaked me out, and sadly, did not make it into the film, but wow! And yeah, the fire hose! :lol I also loved that while Jack has major issues with alcoholism and his temper, he's genuinely TRYING to change throughout the story, and better himself. That made him a well-written, sympathetic character, and made it all the more tragic when he finally does succumb. Also moving was the brief scene where he managed to snap out of the possession the hotel had over him, and reassure his son that he loved him whilst also telling him to run before the hotel took over again. Urgh! It irks me that that didn't make it into the film either but... Kubrick was going for his own story too, and I can understand that.

(runner up)
(runner up)

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'd say my favorite part was the topiary scene, with the hedge animals. That freaked me out, and sadly, did not make it into the film, but wow!
Oh my god, yes! It's the part where Danny's outside in the playground after it's snowed, and he can hear the snow falling off them as they move when he's not looking? And just before he's playing in the tunnel when he feels like it's going to collapse and he'll be trapped  :unsure: That part was so well written, really made me feel bad when I was reading it.

I'm glad I've found someone who likes the book, nobody else I know has read it  :D