The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What are you reading?

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah and like... in the tunnel he could HEAR something coming up behind him! THAT was creepy! I think Jack experienced the animals too, when he was doing some work outside, and every time he turned to look at them they were getting closer... and closer... and closer. He chalked it up to him hallucinating, but man! Creepy stuff! And  yeah, using the snow falling off them as you said, good stuff!

Yeah it's hard to find someone who's read the book these days. XD So yeah, glad you read it too! :DD I like too how the book kind of explained some back story to some scenes you see in the movie but were never explained. Like when Wendy saw Roger, the guy in the dog costume in that room, and you're just like what the...? Cause you don't KNOW who that is... or the woman in room 237 (different room number in the book). The book actually explains pretty in depth who Roger and that woman are, and in particular, why Roger is dressed like a dog. XD

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Yeah, the tiny scene with Roger always seemed like a kind of Easter Egg for people who'd read the book. The old woman's back story always made me feel really sorry for her, though the pity always disappears when she comes back  :lol

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Making slow progress on Rereading/re-listening to The Ethical Slut.
And trying to read the D&D novels.  That is going poorly, due to my damaged eyelids.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: bushwacked,Aug 24 2013 on  12:26 PM
Yeah, the tiny scene with Roger always seemed like a kind of Easter Egg for people who'd read the book. The old woman's back story always made me feel really sorry for her, though the pity always disappears when she comes back  :lol
Yeah I agree with that, she had a tragic back story but WOW was she creepy! And yeah, those who've read the book would get right away why the guy was dressed in the dog suit. XD

(runner up)
(runner up)

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I've been trying to finish The Andromeda Strain for a couple of years now. I bought it for a project in my 10th or 11th grade English class and I never finished reading it; and I got a mediocre grade on the assignment.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Finished reading Neptune's Inferno, and I admit, I shed a few tears at the end of it. Reading about Robert Graff's trip back to Guadalcanal with his son and grandson at the very end of the book... pretty moving stuff.  :cry

(runner up)
(runner up)

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Finally, after a month of delay, "The Origin of Indo-Iranians" by Kuz'mina.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Watership Down.  I decided to reread an old favorite of mine.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Tikikata

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://www.strawberrytiki.net
Just started reading book eleven of Guardians of Ga'Hoole, also the third and final book in The Legends. Amazing storytelling. Grank, Siv, and Hoole are the best characters!

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Frank Herbert's Dune.  I guess I am still in a nostalgic mood.  I am revisiting another old favorite of mine.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Dracula, reading roughly 1 chapter a day, though I forget or get to busy to read it some days.  Reading the Project Gutenberg free version.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer

I have heard much of this book and the controversy behind it, but I have not yet (until now) had the opportunity to read it myself.  Based upon what I have heard, I do expect some self-serving commentary in the book (claiming that Speer had no knowledge of the death camps, that he was helping to conspire to assassinate Hitler, etc.) which I will have to take with a grain of salt, but I also hope to acquire an insider perspective to the personalities and dynamics of the inner circle of Hitler's regime.

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My Friend Flicka by Mary O' Hara,it's a good read if you like horses/ponies like me.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
No Exit by Daniel Grey Marshall - about a teenager who goes through everything... abuse, violence, loss, alcoholism, taking drugs, stealing... and he's also in love. An emotional read!
Inactive, probably forever.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The Law of Primitive Man by E. Adamson Hoebel

This book is an analysis of how primitive law came into existence and its relevance to contemporary law.  It weaves both legal analysis and anthropology into its analysis, so it should be of considerable interest to me.  I am only about a chapter in and it certainly has piqued my interest.

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Seabiscuit

And no it''s not about a biscuit in a sea  :lol.

It's about the racehorse,I'm the GOF's official horse nut after all.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I finally managed to get my hands on 'Doctor Sleep', the sequel to 'The Shining'. It's really good so far.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Coming of age in the Milky Way by Timothy Ferris

This book explores the various models that have been used to explain astronomy and our place in the universe.  It also paints an interesting narrative, delving into the great minds that have challenged our previous understanding of the universe and fought against social and political opposition in order to have their models freely discussed.  I am only a few chapters in, but thus far I rather enjoy the book.  The only major shortcoming that I can see thus far is that the author over-simplifies many of the points, which I suppose can be excused as this is a book for a lay audience.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I am about to begin reading "Something from the Nightside" by Simon R. Green.  It was highly recommended by a friend (and he also gave me a copy as an early Christmas present) so I am looking forward to it.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Started reading 'Gardens Of The Moon', part of the Malazan: Book Of The Fallen series. Pretty much everyone who reads them says it's one of the best adult fantasy series out there, so I'm looking forward to getting into it.