Beyond the Mysterious Beyond > Brain Food

The World wide Mythology Trivia Quiz

(1/19) > >>

Saft:
Thought it was about time for a worldwide mythology based trivia quiz since mythology is just awesome and that due to the factor that before writing stories had to be passed around by oral language than the written language and even then only a minority could read and write thus mythological based art was intended to portray in a physical way for stories to be understood to the majority.  Now, it has been stressed to me by the lecturer that there are many versions of the one mythology aspect, doesn't make them wrong just that there are different versions.  So with that in view, questions and the acceptance of answers should in theory be based on the more common version.  
Since this is also world wide mythology, any aspect can be asked as a question.

So here is the first question:

Because the Greek titan Kronos had betrayed his father Oranos and killed him, he feared that any offspring that he had would do the same to him and displace his rule.  What did he do to combat this and what did his sister-wife Rhea do to prevent him from combatting her last child (Zeus)?

The Friendly Sharptooth:
Gross as it must sound, Kronos devoured his children as soon as they were born. Rhea secretly gave birth to Zeus in Crete, giving Kronos a stone that was wrapped up to be swallowed instead, and Kronos was fooled. I took mythology in high school and absolutely loved it.

Saft:
Right.  And then Zeus and his siblings rose up and defeated the titans.  One has to feel sorry in a way for Kronos but as metnioned, he did murder his father...

(I only chose the Greek myth since it's one that I know more about, but anyone can ask whatever myth base they desire).

The Friendly Sharptooth:
There was a goddess who was hired as a nursemaid for a young prince. This goddess grew fond of the boy and decided to bestow immortality on him, done through a ritual over fire. Who was the goddess, and what caused the ritual to fail?

Malte279:
Not sure if you are referring to Achill, but if you do there are several possibilities about the what and why. If Achill is the one you mean Thetis would be the mother. As for the ritual some texts have her bathe Achill in the river Styx (the border of the realm to the death) to make him invulnerable (not immortal) according to that story his heel remained vulnerable because she held him by the heel when submerging him into the water.
The other (somewhat more sensible) version has her hold Achill over a special fire that would make his skin impenetrable. But while doing so Achill's father Peleus entered and reacted in the manner we would assume Daddy to react when he returns home to find Mummy roasting the dear lad over a fire, thereby preventing Thetis from finishing the job on Achill's heel.
(Not sure though if the answer is correct as I think Thetis was actually Achill's real mom rather than a nursemaid).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version