The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Haha! I'm skipping Vista alltogether!

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Nov 22 2007 on  04:45 PM
OBVIOUSLY? It sounds like to me it will require even more resources

Voice command and all that extra crap?  Naw.  That might need 500-600mhz, not the 2,400mhz vista needs!
You're suggesting that adding these extra features like voice command and touch screens will reduce the requirements, not increase them.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Every new OS has replaced the other.  It's natural (except with vista.  It'll never replace XP, but vienna might.)

You're suggesting that adding these extra features like voice command and touch screens will reduce the requirements, not lessen them.

Yes.  Vista uses so much because of the visual style crap.  If they take that out and add features instead of visual garbage, then they'll have a better OS that uses less resources.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Now you're suggesting that the "visual garbage" will be removed. What makes you so confident?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
because everyone is complaining about how much vista requires.  They've gotta make cuts somewhere.  If they add more to it, they have to take some away.  Visual junk is the first to go.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
We don't know for sure if they are removing it or not. It is too early to tell.

And, another thing, how do we know that thus voice recognition technology won't utterly whomp? I've yet to encounter voice recognition technology that isn't flawed in one form or another (ever heard of On-Star?), where it just totally butchers what you tell it. They will have to make significant improvements before they can do something this wide-scale.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I agree with Manny. It is too early to make any assumptions.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The Japanese have developed almost flawless voice technology.  If it's gonna replace the mouse and keyboard, it's gotta be good.

And BTW, did you know that my LBT visual style uses less than 20% of what the default windows theme uses?  And that's just what I can do with visual stuff.  Imagine what tens of thousands of knowedable computer programmers can do when they work together.  They can make the visual stuff take up far less, they just choose not to because it's easier for them to just leave it where it is.  They have to make the next OS use tons less resources if they plan to sell it.  Buisnesses, schools and orginizations are all refusing to upgrade to vista because they all need new computers.  Microsoft is losing money big time.  They have to try something new and different if they are to succeed.  Remember this is microsoft we're talking about.  They can do anything.  They're probably trying to find a new way to make visual styles so it doesn't use so much.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
They've proven that they are capable of messing up an operating system once, so I wouldn't be surprised if they mess up yet another OS.

And we still aren't sure that this "replacement for the mouse and keyboard" will be the best thing ever. It may well be the biggest mistake ever. We've seen it before where an inferior product is mass produced and distributed (and Vista sure ain't the biggest example, but it's fairly close). I won't be shocked to see it occur again.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I actually have the very expensive $700 program that they've tested on computers to replace the mouse and keyboard.  The one in 2009 is going to be even better.  It has a 99.92% seccess rate and requires no programming.  It's by dragon voice technologies.

And I'm not too hip on this replacing the mouse and keyboard thing.  I oftentimes need to work without disturbing others. <_<

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Still, if Vista was so bad, then we really don't have any reason to believe the next operating system will be better or not even worse than Vista. Your take on the release-to-be may be correct, but it may turn out to be the biggest flop yet. Again, it is too early to tell.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Nov 22 2007 on  07:11 PM
Still, if Vista was so bad, then we really don't have any reason to believe the next operating system will be better or not even worse than Vista. Your take on the release-to-be may be correct, but it may turn out to be the biggest flop yet. Again, it is too early to tell.
Agreed.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I don't necessarily think that the next OS will whomp. It may well be the best thing on a computer ever. Or the worst, worse than even the "visual garbage." I don't know. It could go either way. But I frown on the idea that the new OS will be absolutely good, that there's no chance for them to mess up again. The workers at Microsoft are humans like you and I, and are well capable of messing it up, as much or more than the last time.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, if Gates makes Vienna use any more than vista did, he has to be the dumbest dude alive unless he's found some way to force everyone to upgrade.  No one is going to tolerate more computers becoming obsolete so quickly.  Gates isn't dumb, so he's either gonna make it better and make us happy, or make it worse and force us to upgrade, making us PO'd.

EDIT:  Well, I gotta go eat now.  I hope this topic stays hot while I'm away.  I don't like cold topics after a hot meal. :D

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Nov 22 2007 on  07:15 PM
Well, if Gates makes Vienna use any more than vista did, he has to be the dumbest dude alive unless he's found some way to force everyone to upgrade.
Harsh.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Do dee do dee do...  :rolleyes:

Just waltzing on by...but think about this...why do you need 2ghz of processing power to create a text document of 25kb?  A majority of people do not (currently) do things on their computer that require anything higher than 500mhz of power daily.  Its not just Microsoft...its everyone who says faster and power hungry is necessary (and better to boot).

More than 80% of the time my laptop is on, 98% of system resources have nothing to do but sit there.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
why do you need 2ghz of processing power to create a text document of 25kb?

On most of the computers I tested, I needed at least 2.4ghz just for the start button to come up the instant I clicked on it every time. :rolleyes: Most of my resources are under 10% used, but it still can't even make the start menu come up when I click it. <_<

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
For the new os we'll have to wait and see.  I doubt the voice technology will ever replace the keyboard and mouse.  Though in the vast minority I type better then I speak.  The phone systems have voice based os never understand a thing I say to them unless I scream nearly at the top of my lungs then it is about 50/50.  I think a touch screen replacing a mouse may be nice, though then you'd have to clean your screen daily I'd guess, and the price of a monitor would be higher.  And the folks in india that everyone outsources to are only slightly, at best, better then the voice based phone systems.  They understand the individual words, but not the meaning of the sentence it's self.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
At 54 wpm and 94% accuracy, I'm not letting go of a keyboard anytime soon.  Those voice recognition things aren't super accuarate, and you have to tell them to insert commas, periods, quotes, etc.  That's more of a hassle than its worth.  For those with disabilities or are better with oral dictation than writing, this is awesome...for those who like typing, its not going to work.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm sure they'll give you an option of a keyboard and mouse.  They just won't be ps2 anymore.  They'll all be usb :D

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Nov 22 2007 on  09:25 PM
At 54 wpm and 94% accuracy, I'm not letting go of a keyboard anytime soon.  Those voice recognition things aren't super accuarate, and you have to tell them to insert commas, periods, quotes, etc.  That's more of a hassle than its worth.  For those with disabilities or are better with oral dictation than writing, this is awesome...for those who like typing, its not going to work.
Right on, that's just what I was saying.