The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Twilight

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
So, what does everyone think of this book? Personally, I think this book and book series was something Meyer just wanted to write for fun and for herself. That seems to be her attitude about her writing. She even admitted herself that she put in the sparkle scene just for the sake of it being there.

I am an anti myself and I don't really care for vampires very much, but I will say, one thing I am happy about Twilight is that, it's getting the younger generation into reading.

Liking a book for entertainment is fine, but what scares me, is all of these fans, mostly 12-14 years of age, going nuts over a book and actually ATTACKING people for not liking the book. o.O But also, I would like to point out that on the anti side, there are people that just go, "You like Twilight? You're so stupid!"

Seriously guys, why over this hype for a book like Twilight?

Also, I wanted to quote a review I wrote for this book, I think it needs to be polished a bit(the review I mean), so I quote from FB:

Twilight really is a new cult favorite among many young women and girls. Even some young men like Twilight. While I understand the love for it, I also understand it's not the best piece of literature out there.

Reviewing this without thinking of the rabid fans is excruisingly hard to do because it's mostly the fandom itself that makes other people strongly dislike Twilight, now I actually read the book myself and while I love the writer's free flowing words and expression through the book. This author doesn't seem to take writing at all seriously. She just writes whatever she thinks. And this is good, it's good that she has a career for herself. Unfortunately, because of her inability to stand criticism, and I can absolutely understand because I am very sensitive to criticism myself, it's only going to kill her career in the end.

This books gets some of the most interesting, intriguing, and sometimes overly excited reviews from fans and antis alike.

I like romance novels myself, but there needs to be substance in romance other then, "Oh he's so hawt and amazingggggg, I can't live without him!!!!!"

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Ah, Twilight, such a sweet story that teaches girls such great values as:

Remember girls, as long as you really love him, it's okay to let him stop you from visiting friends, break into your house at night, hurt you when you sleep together, get married at a young age, and have a child less than a year after marriage. And, if you really want to show your love, the best way is to cut off all your relationships with everyone but him! Let him run your life! After all, you're just a girl! You are only defined by your man and your relationship with him. Girls have no value outside of that. All those brilliant women in history who were single or still had a level of control over their own lives while married: Bitches who overstep their bounds.

It's acceptable, even admirable, for men to fall in love with a small child. And yes, the only thing you should be disturbed about is that he gave her a nickname after the Lochness Monster. Yeah, that's the most of your worries at this point.

If a woman doesn't want to be married and have kids, then there's something desperately wrong with her. See above why.

You'll be happier dead than without your boyfriend. Yes, because no one has ever successfully wrestled with those feelings when in love in High School before and since then got over it. After all, its not just a High School crush, which everyone got over after all was said and done. It's perfectly okay to not get a grip on your life. You need to keep pining after that first love and lost.
Oh, and if you have to beg for love: it's totally real.

It's entirely okay, if not recommended, to establish romantic relationships entirely on personal appearances. After all, who needs a sensative, caring, and compassionate guy like Jacob who looked after you after Edward left you high and dry when latter sparkles and stares vacantly.

Abuse is ok as long as he is hot! Should your father take issue with it he's just being a square...even if he's had to nearly mobilize a city wide search for your near corpse after you idiotically got lost in the woods looking for said emotionally abusive boyfriend.

What's wrong with marrying young? Well, nothing, actually, and its perfectly fine to do in all situations! After all, who needs maturity and decent full time independent financial support, anyway?

Women have no choice in their relationships. Once a guy has singled you out as his, there is no escape. You are his. There is no equal partnership here. He is in charge of the household. Period.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
^ This. Good...freaking...gawd... :bang
I actually felt a little betrayed when my mom and youngest brother read it. I thought they had more sense than to read that load of elephant cr@p.

thebigdeal

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://youtube.com/BigDealStudios
[SIZE I THINK IT SHOULD BURN IN HELL!!!!! DIE!!!! DIE!!!! FCKING DIE!!!!!!AAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!=25]
HOW do I WORK this ASSFCKING  size system? I HATE Twilight!!!!

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
I don't understand why we as people have a habit of making the most craptacular things so popular. There are so many better writers out there with far better prose and a better understanding of how to actually tell a good story with likeable characters so why is Twilight the "hot series"? Why is it no longer "cool" to actually try to write something halfway decent?

I couldn't believe what I was reading when I read WeirdRaptor's post. I knew the series was *Beep*ed up but holy crap! I actually feel both ill and dumber having read about this...this THINGS "morals".  I don't even know what to say...my whole mind just went blank.

And with that, my high school education is gone.

Whoop! There went my ability to draw and write.

Now I don't know what 2+2 equals.

I should probably leave and go read some actually good books. And try to reacquire the knowledge me lose.

Me no know english now? That's unpossible!

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Yeah, really. What's even scarier is that the Twilight series is written by a woman. A Mormon woman, but still... You'd think that a book written by a woman in an age of female astronauts,  police women, and when Jeanne D'arc has been made a Patron Saint of France that we'd have a series with a slightly better attitude towards the fairer sex.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I'm not really into the Twilight series myself. My youngest sister, though, is. She watched the movie a lot of times, she's read all the books I think, she went to see the second movie, owns two of the board games, etc. She's obsessed with it. I'm not sure why, but she is.

SouthPawRacer

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.racedepartment.com/
Yeah, I don't understand all the hype behind these books/movies either. This year, girls at my school were going crazy over New Moon. Not just the 12-14 year olds, these were girls my age, 15-ish... :unsure: I almost feel sorry for them. I mean, come on... a human and a vampire fall in love, and there's the inevitable conflict between the human and non-human instincts. And? It sounds like it's been done to death already. Yawn...
I applaud WeirdRaptor's first post. I never realised the books were so messed up. :blink:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Me?  I stay away from all the hypes and BS that the world tries to shove in my face.  All I know is that it involves a teen and a vampire.  I assume there's some sort of romance.  No clue though.  I didn't even know what the hell Harry Potter was about until no one talked about it anymore and it seemed to fade into the distance.  I don't think I'll ever care enough to learn anything about this though.  I still wouldn't know what Harry Potter is if my mom hadn't been so obsessed with the series herself.  She made me freaking watch it.  I must say, I wasn't impressed.  I'm expecting something similar with this book/movie/whatnot.  The only way I'll ever find out about it is if someone forces me to watch it or summarizes the whole thing in half a minute. :p