The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT characters playing Civilization 4

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Polished the previous posts a little. Now everything is colourcoded (are the colours okay?) and the font is now bold because... it looks better imo :unsure:

I don't think there's anything really wrong with the format. Things are rather easy to follow and the pictures seem to be large enough. I can read the info that is in the pictures even if they tell me very little. dino_tongue.gif I liked the last three posts as they were written in a fun style that was easy to understand. You may experiment with the colors but at this point, I'm not completely sure if they're mandatory. And you may do these short summary posts in order to sum up the overall situation after major events. They might clear things up a bit. smile.gif
Thanks for the feedback, Sovereign. Glad to know you enjoy this a little despite knowing very little about the game. I'm always open for questions if you don't understand something though many things/concepts will become clearer as they become relevant in the game and you begin to get a feeling for it I guess. I mean, I remember playing my first game after just a short tutorial and I did pretty good until I died :lol

I concur with Sovereign. I think that colored posts might be a good idea to show who is talking, but otherwise the previous posts were quite easy to understand and follow. I am not very interested in the upcoming Petrie/Ruby drama though... we all know how close borders tend to lead to early wars in Civ 4.  dino_happier.gif I also quite like how Chomper's sharptooth reasoning is able to come to the fore in this game... something tells me that he will not be the "friendly" sharptooth in this game.  dino_tongue.gif And as for Cera destroying Ducky's spaceship in the last game, I must approve of her tactics. I wonder if, in retaliation, Ducky might become the most evil swimmer in this game.  land_before_time8_disneyscreencaps_com_1342_by_rockingscorpion-d9nxkr9.png
hehe, thanks ^^spike

Close borders are always unpleasant in Civ 4... I still remember some of our games... there was no way Malte and I got along if we're neighbors :DD

As for Ducky... yeah who knows? :p I mean, if somebody manages to manipulate her a liiiiiiiittle bit, waking her ambitions...  :idea

Yes I agree the color posts will make it more easier to follow what's going on.
Ah okay, glad you think so :)

Alright, now that all the players have been set up, it's time to see how they'll do.

Looks like everyone has built their first city on the coast (except for Petrie, who appears to have built his on a inland lake, so no boats for him yet), so I'm guessing this is some kind of archipelago map they're playing on.
To be precide, this map is based on the Big and Small mapscript so there would be some continent-like landmasses but also smaller landmasses/islands inbetween, kind of like what Ruby and Petrie started on. Indeed, Petrie didn't start at the coast. You see, Petrie is the kind of player who doesn't think too much about things I think hence I didn't quite choose the best position though his land is good everywhere so there really wasn't much I could have done wrong :angel

Littlefoot and Cera are starting near the polar region (judging by the ice, Littlefoot in the north and Cera in the south), Ruby and Petrie are so close to each other that another city cannot be built between their capitals, same goes for Chomper and Ducky (I checked both the color and the terrain to confirm it), while Spike is on the west coast of a large landmass and Ali is on the east coast of some large landmass.
Littlefoot and Cera seem to be very far from each other indeed. And yes, it is Ducky Chomper is next to. Take a virtual cookie if you like :lol

As for the others, it's hard to say where they are in relation to each other but time will tell. I've had a few "tests" trying to find a good set-up for such a game in the past months and it was always interesting where they ended up... Spike once had a whole continent for himself but it was almost completely made out of snow and ice while the others had a lot of trouble with neighbors but good land. Spike still did the poorest needless to say... and once three started right next to each other... always interesting to find out where everyone ended up...

(I'd like to mention that, as a gamer who never downloads any mods, I'm completely unfamiliar with the version you're playing here. I personally would have preferred sticking to the official version so that anyone with any familiarity would have a good understanding, but this is your project so I'll just let you do your thing.)
Yeah, that's a good point. Well, let's just say that this mod is superior to the normal game in numerous ways in my opinion. It doesn't really change the gameplay (like the CavemanToCosmos mod if you've ever heard of that one... it's ridiculous, like a completely new game...) but it adds more interesting features (also looks a bit better graphically and has a few helpful tools) and allows to have more of almost anything, balancing being much better too. In the regular game, the financial trait is OP for example. If you've tried to compare what all the trait's abilities are in this mod, you'll notice they're all pretty strong on their own and you can be much more flexible with your strategy etc.

I hope it is not too confusing for you  :confused

Alright, that being said, we're up to Turn 3 so here are the next entries of those players who already got something to do (aka. those who went for a scout minus Petrie)

Littlefoot 3
Ducky 3
Spike 3
Turn 3
Inactive, probably forever.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Looks like things are developing nicely.  Though I do wonder if the oddity of Littlefoot wanting access to fish will ever enter his mind at some point.  :lol If any of the leaf-eaters win the game they might have to live with being praised for "thinking like a sharpotooth" by Chomper.  :p

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Haha  :lol

I've been lazy these past few days because weather has been great but today it was too great (heatwave ugh) so I got to work on this again, finishing no less than 2 turns within the last 2 hours or so (+ some distraction :p). Hope you enjoy the developments :)

Ducky 4
Petrie 4
Spike 4
Ruby 4
Turn 4
Littlefoot 5
Cera 5
Ducky 5
Chomper 5
Ali 5
Turn 5

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It seems like these games start pretty slowly. Still, it's nice to see that things are steadily moving forward. The different colors were actually a nice idea to make the interface smoother. Also, I agree with Isabella that a fiendish heathen describes Spike nicely.  :DD

I have played my share of strategy games so I have some kind of idea what this game is about. Actually, I've tried Civ 5 lately as I've already owned it for some time.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It seems like these games start pretty slowly. Still, it's nice to see that things are steadily moving forward.
Well, it takes time to write 8 stories at once  :smile At the beginning, I try to take a look at everything that happens so you know what I do and why (ahem, the characters, I mean :p) but, at some point, I can't do that anymore so I'll get a bit more slacky, not mentioning every bit of micromanagement.

I have played my share of strategy games so I have some kind of idea what this game is about. Actually, I've tried Civ 5 lately as I've already owned it for some time.
I own Civ 5 too, just never got to play it yet because civ 4 hasn't beeen getting boring yet :p The basic concept should be very similar with some exceptions (like not being able to move several units onto one tile which you can do in civ 4 (I've already had stacks of 100+ units, believe me)) :lol )

Ducky 6
Chomper 6
Ruby 6
Turn 6
I think the situation between Chomper and Ducky will be interesting to watch :smile

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Gee, and I thought the barrier between the leaf-eater and sharptooth languages was a barrier in communication, but I guess it has nothing on the Civ Diplomacy screen.  :lol It will be curious to see what happens with that... and with Ruby and the upcoming (and unexpected, it seems, on her part) war with Petrie.  He really wants her resources...

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's not like Chomper can't speak leateater... I totally get that pun though ^^spike

Well, Petrie won't be able to attack anytime soon. First, he needs to develop the knowledge of either swimming or flying to get over there :p Considering how late flight units come in this game, I daresay he'll invade with ships if he does :smile

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Things are starting to look very interesting already.

My memory on Civ IV is a little rusty so correct me if I'm wrong: if a city has no military units on it, then an enemy unit can capture it just by walking into the city, right? (I'm asking because I've gotten used to how it works in Civ V, where cities don't need a garrison (though one does improve its strength), they can bombard enemy units, and they can't be captured until they loose all hitpoints (from enemy attacks and bombardments) and only then can a unit walk into the city to capture it.)

Anyway, of the eight players we're following, I'm hoping to see Ruby win. She seems interested in a space victory (my preferred way to win), plus I imagine she'll be better prepared for war than Petrie, so his attempt to invade her territory may backfire on him.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
My memory on Civ IV is a little rusty so correct me if I'm wrong: if a city has no military units on it, then an enemy unit can capture it just by walking into the city, right? (I'm asking because I've gotten used to how it works in Civ V, where cities don't need a garrison (though one does improve its strength), they can bombard enemy units, and they can't be captured until they loose all hitpoints (from enemy attacks and bombardments) and only then can a unit walk into the city to capture it.)
That's correct :) You can simply walk in if there's no unit in there to protect.

Anyway, of the eight players we're following, I'm hoping to see Ruby win. She seems interested in a space victory (my preferred way to win), plus I imagine she'll be better prepared for war than Petrie, so his attempt to invade her territory may backfire on him.
Yup, Ruby is the most scientific player of the gang, that's what's fit her character best in my opinion. She didn't get a scientific leader, unfortunately so things will be a bit harder for her but her artistic trait (basically what used to the the creative one in the game without mods) might also allow her to try winning by culture.

As for Petrie, yes, he may be trying to bite off more than he can chew :p

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
I've never played the game, but I'm definitely enjoying this :smile
It looks like they're off to a good start, and I'm interested to see who wins.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've never played the game, but I'm definitely enjoying this Dino_grins.gif
That's great to hear! :lol:

It looks like they're off to a good start, and I'm interested to see who wins.
So am I! It'll probably take me more than a year to finish this (two or three are more realistic though) but it'll be totally worth it! None of my test games made it very far but that was because I was testing things, sometimes realising the set-up was suboptimal :lol

I'd say all of them have a chance to win, because nobody is totally screwed up right from the start (even Littlefoot's start is somewhat okay).

Littlefoot 7
Cera 7
Ducky 7
Spike 7
Chomper 7
Ruby 7
Turn 7

Oh, and I think I'll try something whenever I do the next turn..

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I hope to see an alliance between the two. It would be a shame if someone were eliminated from the game this early even if a little war always makes things more interesting. :p  It seems like Ruby is doing well and it's great that Littlefoot is getting back into the game.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Looks like things are looking up for Littlefoot.  :yes On a side note, at some point the gang is going to get into a phase where they will have multiple turns of just waiting for things to happen (as happens a lot early on in our games).  I almost wonder if they might strike up a song at that point as a montage of them waiting for units to be built occurs.  :p

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I hope to see an alliance between the two. It would be a shame if someone were eliminated from the game this early even if a little war always makes things more interesting. dino_tongue.gif It seems like Ruby is doing well and it's great that Littlefoot is getting back into the game.
I agree, it would be a shame indeed. Let's hope Chomper realizes the big chance of a collaboration soon though, you know Ducky... she's just too cute to say no to :p

As for Ruby... you see how strong the expansive trait is at the start of the game there :)

Looks like things are looking up for Littlefoot.  in-yes.gif
Aye, he'll get himself a better city soon, and then maybe another one... depends on what else pops up on the map :smile

On a side note, at some point the gang is going to get into a phase where they will have multiple turns of just waiting for things to happen (as happens a lot early on in our games). I almost wonder if they might strike up a song at that point as a montage of them waiting for units to be built occurs.  dino_tongue.gif
The waiting is actually worst at the start ^^spike Interesting idea though  :idea

I only have something planned for Turn 10 as of right now, I'm sure you'll like it  :exactly

Littlefoot 8
Ducky 8
Spike 8
Chomper 8
Ruby 8
Turn 8

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, well, well... it looks like Chomper is pondering the offer of an alliance with his swimmer friend, but his lack of an enthusiastic response might spell trouble for someone... :sducky Meanwhile, Littlefoot has an advantage at the moment in terms of science.  It will be curious to see how things develop in the next few turns, especially with a certain evil swimmer's cryptic comment about me liking something in turn 10.  :p

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I finally got the time to catch up on all of this. I've never played the civilization games before but you explain the details enough so that I'm not completely lost. The drama between Ducky and Chomper is great, with Ducky trying so hard to team up. Petrie focusing on being religious seems spot on as he's the most superstitious. Pictures of the character's reaction is also a nice touch. I've never seen a civ game play out so this will be interesting to see what unfolds.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, well, well... it looks like Chomper is pondering the offer of an alliance with his swimmer friend, but his lack of an enthusiastic response might spell trouble for someone... land_before_time8_disneyscreencaps_com_1342_by_rockingscorpion-d9nxkr9.png Meanwhile, Littlefoot has an advantage at the moment in terms of science. It will be curious to see how things develop in the next few turns, especially with a certain evil swimmer's cryptic comment about me liking something in turn 10.  dino_tongue.gif
where's a smirking emoji when you need it?  :p

I finally got the time to catch up on all of this. I've never played the civilization games before but you explain the details enough so that I'm not completely lost.
Hey, great to know you're keeping an eye on this as well. Gee, this gets kinda popular :smile

The drama between Ducky and Chomper is great, with Ducky trying so hard to team up.
Yep, yep, yep. I'm not quite sure myself what the result of that will be. Since I'm trying as hard as I can to block any knowlegde I have about the other players, I might make a choice that I don't expect myself. Gotta try to stay as neutral as I can and not favor Ducky over Chomper, just to give an example :)

Petrie focusing on being religious seems spot on as he's the most superstitious.
That's exactly what I was thinking too ^^spike

Pictures of the character's reaction is also a nice touch. I've never seen a civ game play out so this will be interesting to see what unfolds.
It'll be awfully slow to be fair. I'd be 10 times faster if I didn't have to document everything and write these stories, haha. But then again, you would get to see this then so what's the point then? :lol

Anyway, update time!
Littlefoot 9
Cera 9
Ducky 9
Petrie 9
Chomper 9
Ali 9
Turn 9

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
I just noticed this. This is amazing! I love historical stuff and turn-based strategy games, and mixing it with my favorite movie franchise makes everything even better!
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
You have to be joyful about small things in Littlefoot's position. At least he has a peaceful start in the middle of nowhere.  :p Chomper is really not making things easy for Ducky but we'll see if she accepts Chomper's proposal. Somehow I have a feeling that she won't... I think that we'll have a couple rather low-key turns from now in terms of development if it takes six turns to research a tech. At least diplomacy and exploration are getting really interesting.  :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sorry for the long wait, guys, things suddenly got very busy and I needed a break lol. This should continue with a more or less regular schedule now  ^^spike

I just noticed this. This is amazing! I love historical stuff and turn-based strategy games, and mixing it with my favorite movie franchise makes everything even better!
Yay, another follower, glad you like this  :lol

You have to be joyful about small things in Littlefoot's position. At least he has a peaceful start in the middle of nowhere.  dino_tongue.gif Chomper is really not making things easy for Ducky but we'll see if she accepts Chomper's proposal. Somehow I have a feeling that she won't... I think that we'll have a couple rather low-key turns from now in terms of development if it takes six turns to research a tech. At least diplomacy and exploration are getting really interesting.  smile.gif
Well, Littlefoot just hasn't met anybody YET :p

You are right about Chomper. Let's see how you like the developments of this turn  :lol

Littlefoot 10
Cera 10
Ducky 10
Spike 10'
Chomper 10
Ruby 10
Turn 10 (watch out for this one! xD)

I did promise that I had something special planned, right? Well, typing Turn 10 was fun to say the least  ^^spike I'll do this every 10 turns now!

Oh, also another thing: I was thinking about replacing the boring link titles with some more exciting titles. Always give the blog entries a title, might use that one instead in the future as a little teaser to make the whole thing more interesting. Opinions? :p