The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Server Offline For Approx. 1 Hour

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well that Alienware server of mine is FAST as hell......when it works.  I've had 4 server crashes in the past 3 days which is totally unacceptable.  I'm going to try running a server on a dual core Vista machine.  Don't know how well it'll work, but I don't have many options.  

On the Alienware computer, first the ram I put in was bad so I replaced that.  Now it's overheating because one of the fans failed and I don't have any fans to replace it.  It's just becoming way too much of a hassle and people want their files, not excuses of hardware failure.  The Alienware is just too complicated and unreliable to be used as a server.  I see that now.  I'll clean up the computer then use it on a regular basis as a standard computer.

The new LBT Server will only have a 320gb internal hard drive and a 500gb external hard drive.  I don't see a need for anything more than that now.  When the time comes I'll get a 1tb or 2tb drive for it, but that time isn't here yet and I'm tired of upgrading the thing passed what it needs to be.  The specs of the new server are as follows:

*1.6ghz Intel Dual Core Processor
*2gb DDR2 667mhz Ram
*320gb Internal HD, 500gb External HD
*Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
*DVD-RW DL Burner with Lightscribe
*Card Reader

I know it's not nearly as powerful but there's nothing I can do about that.  I need my best dual core machines for video editing and other high demand tasks.  Hey, it beats the 2.6ghz P4 I had it running on less than a year ago, doesn't it? :p

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I already got some complaint about not being able to download from your server about the lbtgame Austin, so I set up something with megaupload so that they have two places to download from. Hope it gets fixed soon though :) (yours is much quicker)

Good luck with the new server computer, hope it crashes less.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
The server is back up!  Now this is the first time I've ever run a server on Windows Vista so there might be some slowness.  I patched the tcpip.sys file but Vista's not giving me it's normal fuss about it so I don't know if it actually worked.  Please let me know if you experience server slowness that's unacceptable.  Hopefully this server won't have as many problems.  I expect no crashes.  It's a dependable machine.  I've owned it for nearly 6 months now and it's been great to me.

EDIT:
I just downloaded a 12.1mb file in .79 seconds!  That's roughly 14.5mbps!  Even I didn't get speeds like this in the past.  Perhaps the patching did work.  I normally only make 200 or so open connections, but the server now has 70,000 of them.  Perhaps I should have increased the number of connections a long time ago. :D

In the past 5 minutes there's been 26 downloads at an average of 896kps.  That's a lot higher than the server's previous average.  Of course my server is capable of providing download speeds far greater than 896kps.  If you're getting speeds less than 6mbps there's either more than 1 person downloading at the same time or your connection isn't fast enough to utilize the full potential of the LBT Server.