The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Windows 7 Beta

Petrie. · 14 · 1140

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Its being released today in the afternoon sometime.  I want to test it but don't have an extra machine handy.

Do you think Windows 7 could be a decent OS?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Windows 7.  What a joke.  It's Vista that's been re-skinned and has all the problems fixed.  It's what MS should have done in the first place with Vista but they took the shortcut and screwed everyone instead.  I already paid for my Vista so I will NOT be paying for Windows 7.  Jackasses aren't making a cent off of me for that maneuver.  I'll go find a pirated version thank you very much. :anger

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It looks like it has interesting features, though some things have been removed from windows 7 and put into a thing you have to download.  I guess sorta like vista does not have msn messenger or windows live messenger or whatever it's called.    No biggie in that case, just look for a less bloated open software version of the program like pidgin.  

Some features do look interesting.  The better integration of touch technology may mean mice will not need to be used, and if one does not mind typing on an lcd screen using fingers maybe some can do without a seperate keyboard.  It's supposed to have directx 11, no idea if directx 10 graphics cards can handle that or if it'll require new graphics cards.   I just glanced over info about it so likely do not recall a lot of detail.  

I would guess like in most cases if you want to wait to buy it, waiting till the sp1 version comes out is best.  I do hope at least 1 person on the board tries out the beta.  I'd guess there's a non disclosure thing maybe, but one could likely, I'd guess, be vague and be ok.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I've seen some footage of Windows 7. It does have a somewhat of a different look than Windows Vista and has a couple new features it seems. It's requirements, I heard, are similar to Windows Vista as well.

As for it being just Windows Vista with a new skin and problems fixed, what about Windows 95 and 98? I have used both versions and, visually, there was not really any difference at all, and as for features, I didn't notice anything different except my 98 comp could play realplayer files. So I'm not at all surprised Windows 7 looks like Windows Vista.

I am interested in trying it out, but I will wait until the full version is released. Since it's just a beta, more features could be put in for all I know. I will never, however, get a pirated version. I will not risk my computer's stability with a pirated version all because I didn't want to try the real version first.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
As I mentioned, maybe best to wait for the sp1 version instead of buying it before then.  Some bugs will be worked out by then.  I'm not surprised it looks like vista overall.  It would be pretty stupid really for windows 7 to look totally different from vista since that would make some shy away from it and would take longer for some to learn how to use 7 when they were use to vista or xp.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Kor,Jan 9 2009 on  06:53 PM
It would be pretty stupid really for windows 7 to look totally different from vista since that would make some shy away from it and would take longer for some to learn how to use 7 when they were use to vista or xp.
Yeah I agree. It makes sense. People are used to either XP or Vista, aren't they? Why confuse them even further by creating yet another completley new design?

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
I've got a spare hard drive I could pop in my laptop, and try it out. :P: Just wanna see if it has DirectX 10 or 11, though. :p Heh. :p

EDIT: Rumors continue to circulate (or at least, I assume them to be rumors) that Microsoft is actually optimizing the code to lower the system requirements.  While I am partially skeptical, a part of me is hopeful that this will turn out to be true.  Sure would be nice to use something with DX10 or 11 for once. :P:
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I too have heard Windows 7 is supposedly leaner than Vista and you have more choices on what types of things to install (so you wouldn't have to have all the Windows Live programs).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Good luck.  I wonder how well it'll work on your laptop.  Yes, it does seem you can choose to download windows live programs if you choose, or choose to use open source instead.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It is the new version of the windows os that is in beta development.  

The official web site is at: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

and the wikipedia site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Downloading a pirated version right now.  I'm gonna dual boot it with Vista and see how it performs.  If it performs all right, I'll consider buying it, but it's just Vista with "supposedly" all the problems fixed. :rolleyes:

It looks pretty sick actually.  I can't wait to try it.

This is sorta like Longhorn.  It's just a trial based OS that will stop working in a few months.  Then I'll have to pirate the real thing and see if it's gotten any better.  If it has, then I'll buy it.  If not.....MS you've really disappointed me and you'll never be getting any of my money again.

Oh, and this is the most insane torrent I've ever downloaded.  Look at how many seeders/leechers there are!

I hope Windows 7 has a sidebar.  I really love that thing. :p

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have the xkcd on Windows 7. It is quite funny.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^^Oh god!  That is so funny...and so true! :lol:  :lol