The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

German History Quiz

Nick22 · 487 · 36651

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I am well versed in German History from this period. Malte and I had a similar game in the Great Valley  Forum, but it was just us playing.
 here's the first quesion:
In the March 1933 election, how many seats did the Nazis get?(this is after Hitler became Chancellor)
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
If you are talking of the March 5th election the NSDAP got 288 seats. The DNVP a party which consisted of people with an "ideology" similar enough to the NSDAP to define them as nazis got 52 seats. But quite frankly, I don't know such election results by heart and had to look that number up.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes the Nazis got 288 seats, equal to 44% of the vote. The Nationalists got 52 seats or about 8%. That was just enough to have a majority. Good work Malte.
Here's another question: Which article of the Weimar Constitution granted the President emergency powers in times of national crisis?
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, that's exactly what I mean Malte.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
No offense but this is pretty much a game b/t you and Malte, Nick, because I don't think anyone else here has specifically studied that time period so thoroughly.  :unsure:  If you open it up to any time period, maybe, just maybe you'll get more players.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
All right then Arvens. the topic will now cover German history in general.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Then please tell me what the (somewhat boastful) name of the combined German states was from the Medieval ages up to 1806 (when Napoleon conquered these states) was.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
For the longest time it was known as the Prussian empire (or collaboration).   :unsure:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well Prussia existed as a unified country after 1806 , Malte, Gerhard Von Blucher was from Prussia and he aided the Duke of Wellington at Waterloo(1815).
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm not talking of Prussia. In medieval times it did not exist and the Puruzen (the people from whom the name Prussians originates) were sort of a "babarian people". In medieval times Germany was a rather loose confederacy of states, and this confederacy had a rather boastful name. What is that name?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That would be the Holy Roman Empire. Which was a misnomer, since it was neither Holy nor Roman.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
^ I guess that is the English translation. The litteral translation of the German version sounds even more pompous though. It reads:
The holy Roman Empire of German Nation
The name comes from the fact that the German rulers considered themselves the successors of the Roman emperors, which is why they were so eager to be made "Kaiser" (King with God's blessing) by the pope. This is probably why they considered themselves holy. But many German rulers had really fierce quarrels with the pope, so they were excomunicated which sometimes resulted in German rulers appointing their own popes! Parts of northern Italy belonged to that empire for some time.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Who unified Germany in 1866, but excluded Austria from the union?
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You are talking of Otto von Bismarck? As for ruling out Austria there was a war between Austria and Prussia in 1866 which was decided through the battle of Kˆniggr‰tz (also known as the battle of Sadowa). For all I know it was also Bismarck who mainly advocated not to occupy Vienna after that victory, as it would have poisoned the further relationship between the two countries.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, that was Otto von Bismarck. You know your history Malte :)
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Here'a question for you Arvens. Who served the longest as German Chancellor in the 20th century?
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well Adolf Hitler came to mind after you said "German Chancellor" since you're not implying East or West Germany so that takes about fifty years out of the picture. :p  That leaves 12 years under Hitler 1933-1945.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No there are two Chancellors who served longer than Hitler. One served 14 years, the other served 16. Try again.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: