The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

German History Quiz

Nick22 · 487 · 36662

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Helmut Kohl is #1. He served from 1982-1998, when he was defeated by the current Chancellot Gerhard Schroeder. #2 is Konrad Adenauer who served from 1957 to 1971.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
P.S. My global history is severly lacking so someone else pose something... :p

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Then you need to brush up on your history Arvens. Which German speaking area was not annexed by Germany in the 1930's?
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The Sudetenland at the border of (former) Czeckeslovakia. However Nick, I don't know how much you learn about German history at school, but I can imagine that some of the questions surpass what would be considered an average brush up of history knowledge. We want people to have fun and take part in the game, so we better not let it appear to much like a school examination.  ;)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Actually Malte, Germany annexed the Sudetenland in 1938 as part of the Munich agreement.The only Germanic area that was not annexed by Germany in the 1930's was the Southern Tyrol area in Italy. The Tyrolians wanted to join the Reich, but Hitler didn't want to alarm Mussolini by annexing Italian territory. OK I'll make the questions easier ;)
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sorry, my mistake as I just overread the "not". It happens to me too often these days as I'm practicing spead-reading but are not very experienced at it yet. Sorry.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
We all make mistakes Malte. I'm good at speed-reading myself, that's how I read books. And no, I don't skim.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Cool!
Do you manage the backward reading of lines already? So far I managed to read three lines at the same time, but only from left to right, and I really had to concentrate very much. It is still difficult for me to really take in the information during speed-reading without missing anything. Is it true that ones you got the hang of it the taking in of information improves same as your reading speed? So far I still have to force myself into speed-reading and it does not come by itself. Does it for you? This is really most interesting for me to know from someone who is more experienced in this (I began practicing about two weeks ago).

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, I can manage to read backward lines. Once you get the hang of  reading quickly, your capacity for taking in and retaining information will increase. Here's an example. Cna Yuo raed thsi snetnece? I can. Since I began reading at a very early age, I've learned to read very quickly. Thanks to this acquired ability, I can take in information while reading, and not lose my place. Speed-reading comes naturally for me,  since I've been practicing it for a long time. It may take a while for you to get the hang of it, but once you do, speed-reading will be easy.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you! This encourages me.  :)
I've seen sentences similar to the one you put up. I too was able to read most stuff before I got to school, but I never ever did speed-reading before, which is why it may be more difficult for me to accustom to. Do you manage to read 1000 words per minute (which is the aim I set myself)?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I can read about 2000 words a minute going at top speed, Malte.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
2000  :blink: ?
The book on speed reading techiques I'm reading right now mentions Dutch Frank van der Poll as number 10 among the worlds fastest readers!
With 2000 words you would make it on rank 6 in that list! Most likely these are only the people who take part in competitions or scientific experiments or something like that. However, as the book doesn't cease to stress that it is not too difficult to manage 1000 words it would have surprised me if the 1560 words of Frank van der Poll would be that unusual.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Really :o  That's very interesting. Although I have never participated in a competition like that,  I could do pretty well if I entered one.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I just checked out the book again. It is from 2002, but it is the 8th edition. Maybe that list was still from the time of the first edition (1971). Speed reading made huge progress from since then.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Malte is right....these questions are far beyond any "average" history course so cut me a bit of slack if I have to cheat to find the answer. :p

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ok, I'll cut you some slack. What year did modern-day Germany come into existance?(this should be an easy one :p )
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Modern day unified Germany?  1989...only took 44 years.... :blink:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I remember the day the Wall fell. Not so much because I understood what was going on (I was 5 years by that time and not enough interested in politics to have a clue of what was going on), but because I was by my grandparents that day. I sure was annoyed that they were sitting in front of the TV almost totally ignoring me.  :lol:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That was when Germany was REunified. When did it first come into existence?
(Hint; Bismarck ;) )
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: