The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Pop Culture Trivia

Stitch · 86 · 11351

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
You are correct.  Sorry about the delay.  I have had crazy hours at the Animal Kingdom recently, with Everest opening soon.

Your Turn.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
In 2001, this film was released by Disney, but was not one of its own creations.  In its native country it was practically the highest grossing film ever.  While it did not receive a huge US release, in that year it was dubbed one of the most amazing animated films ever created.  Can you figure it out the name of the film and where it was made?

(I heard about this film when it first came out and I was amazed how a film so small could draw so much attention.)

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
This is easy.

It is Spirited Away, directed by the great Miyazaki.  I believe it was made by Studio Ghibli, based in Japan.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
^ Would you believe I still have not watched it?  :lol:  I probably should...I like all the odd animation stuff anyway....

If you're still here you can post a new one.

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Staying on Miyazaki's company, Studio Ghibli, which one of their features revolved around a colony of raccoons?

For help, try researching changing animals in japanese lure.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Heh, I know this one...it's Pom Poko.  It's terribly controversial because Americans don't like seeing genetilia animated on their characters.  :o

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I think we ought to slide out of anime since it might become the RR and Stitch show. :p

There were many "copycats" of this mid-90s craze which involved raising a pet and you could treat it as a pet, only it was not a pet.  Name the company that started the whole thing and at least one copycat that came later.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Is it a type of Internet game or a type of handheld game you see people drag around because these "pets" die when you don't take care of them?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Is it a type of Internet game or a type of handheld game you see people drag around because these "pets" die when you don't take care of them?

Doesn't involve the internet.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I  believe the answer is "Tamagotchi"

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
^Those things...  My sister had something like it, but it was a little human baby, and she was playing with it constantly until the batteries finally died.  Never had a liking to them...

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Yep, its a Tomagotchi and just to save the hassle so we can get a new question out there, a copycat would've been a GigaPet.  Would you believe those things are STILL all the rage in Japan?  :blink:  Think it has to do with housing situation and not being able to keep real pets...anyway..

Tim you're up!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
My sister had something like it, but it was a little human baby, and she was playing with it constantly until the batteries finally died. Never had a liking to them...
Gee. And people are wondering why so few human babies are born in many western countries. Replaced by Tamagothchies who at least don't have to worry about getting a job  :unsure:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
so few human babies are born in many western countries.
So true...

Hmm, Pop-culture...

This song was made popular in the mid 1990s, and was subject to a lawsuit by Mattel.  A disclaimer was put on the song's album as a result.
Name the song and the band that performed it.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I may have the song (not sure why anymore...).  Is it "Barbie Girl" by Aqua?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Correct! :D  
For obvious reasons, especially if you read the lyrics, Mattel wasn't too happy with their doll being discussed in a commercial song without their permission.

Your turn!

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Tim likes Barbie Girl.  :D  He's played it multiple times.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Tim likes Barbie Girl.  He's played it multiple times.
To quote Littlefoot1616: "So I'm into stuff from my kiddy days!  Big Whoop!" :P: