The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Far Away Home: Another Day

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Hey all,

I understand my commitments to Far Away Home and Ruby In the Jungle once that is done, but during the past month and a half Sky hasn't been feeling that good so I decided to do a short story just for him, called Far Away Home: Another Day. This story isn't completely done either, but here are two of the three parts I had planned to do.

Land Before Time: Another Day
By: Caustizer

*Note to Readers: This is a non cannon Far Away Home story I felt like writing on the side. I hope you like it. Some of the material might actually make it into the real story at some point*

Part I:

Sky’s dream was interrupted by a small annoying burst of wind, followed by a familiar voice he could barely make out as he slipped back into consciousness. The blue wingtail slowly opened his eyes, and with a light squawk he yawned and stretched his wingtails. Blinking a few times, his eyes settled on the mottled bunch of feathers that rested on the branch in front of him.

“Come on dad, get up!” insisted Cloud impatiently and he flapped his wings again ,rustling Sky’s feathers.

Absently, the adult blue wingtail turned his head to peer at the horizon.

“…Is it circle rise already?” he moaned.

A single glance told him that it definitely wasn’t, as the sun had just begun to crest the forest on the other side of the Abyssal Lake. It was at least an hour, maybe more, before his usual wake up time. When he was younger Sky would have been up and about now for sure, along with the other adolescent wingtails hoping to get the best of the catch before the seniors took up all the space on the sunning rocks… but times had changed and now that there were no more evil sharpteeth attacking or wingtails hunting him down there was absolutely no reason to interrupt a perfectly good sleep. Besides, he was having a good dream.

“Dad…” groaned Cloud as his father shut his eyes and stuffed his beak under one of his wings.

“Why don’t you bother your mother instead?” suggested Sky sleepily.

Cloud looked over to where Star, his mom, was cooing softly in her sleep on another branch. He didn’t want to wake her up though not only because she was so nice to him all the time, but because he had a very special reason for pestering his father on this particular morning.

“You said we would go water swimmer catching today… ëbright and early’.”

The young dark blue wingtail used his unique talent to imitate his father’s voice on the last line, though there wasn’t much recognition or even a stirring from Sky at all unfortunately. Cloud hopped up and down once and growled in frustration.

Sky sighed, remembering that he had in fact promised his only son they would be going out fishing today… but the blue wingtail hadn’t intended to do it this early. Still half unconscious and unwilling to get up, the wingtail emitted a loud snoring sound to show he was going back to sleep.

“Hah,” snarled Glide, “I knew a lazy lair like you didn’t know how to be a proper father.”

Suddenly Sky snapped awake, ready to face down his brother in law again, only to find that the black wingtail wasn’t there at all. The father wingtail jerked his head around a few times sharply, making sure Glide wasn’t hiding somewhere about to get he spring on him. Cloud couldn’t help himself, and burst out laughing.

“Hehe, I tricked you,” chuckled the little wingtail, “…you’re not afraid of anything, except Uncle Glide.”

In a moment Sky clued in what had happened. His young son had impersonated his brother-in-law, and he had done it almost perfectly. Tucking away any annoyance he felt or indignation at being tricked he did the fatherly thing and rubbed Cloud’s head frill with his hand.

“Ah you rotten little bunch of feathers… you got me.”

Cloud curled away from his dad’s rustling hand, and corrected his feathers with a few streaks of his fingers. He was smiling back.

“Alright… I guess we are going now then…”

“Yay!” celebrated Cloud, before he quickly covered his mouth in a too late attempt to stop from waking up all the wingtails for a kilometre radius.

Taking the lead, Sky jumped up off the branch and took off into the air. His son swiftly followed, and soon the two wingtails were swooping higher and higher in the air. Once they found an updraft he moved to lecture his son on proper riding procedures only to find that not only was Cloud good at it, his son was rising faster then he was!

“Where did you learn to do that?” asked Sky with mild surprise as the two of them reached the peak of the invisible whirl.

“Uncle Glide taught me,” answered his dark blue son with glee.

“He did, did he?” commented Sky in return, before he ducked downwards into a shallow dive, “… when does he teach you these things?”

“Oh he does it every morning,” replied Cloud matter of factly, “he gets up so early he even wakes me up sometimes. Uncle Glide gets mad when I sleep in… he says it wastes valuable training time.”

“Training?” inquired Sky with a spark of concerned curiosity, “…but what about your classes every other day?”

“I do them both. It’s important that I do so I’m ready.”

“Ready for what?” asked Sky again, a little more concerned this time.

“…To survive on my own when the water swimmers go away and I have to fight the other wingtails! I can’t wait to get out there and show them who’s boss.”

Sky contorted his face with confusion, before finally understanding what was going on. His Uncle Glide was riding Cloud, training him to fight and steal and dominate just like the black wingtail did when he was younger. Giving his brother in law some credit, times were very hard back then especially without his parents and a young sister to take care of… but that was no excuse to step in and raise his nephew to be that way. It almost scared the blue wingtail to think of having a son turn out as stern and cold hearted as Glide did.

“It is certainly a good thing your getting into good shape,” commented Sky as his son flew circles around him with energy, “but keep in mind your Uncle didn’t have his loving parents to take care of him like you do.”

Cloud stopped circling and hovered right in front of him.

“But you’re never around… usually it’s just me and mom.”

The young wingtail meant no confrontation, but still the statement stung like a sharp barb in the wing. Sky had obligations else ware… more specifically back in the Great Valley as a teacher… but it hurt him to know that he couldn’t be here all the time for his son in the Feral Forest. The blue adult wingtail wished there was some way he could have the best of both worlds. Silently his son swooped down and around, gliding up to his father’s side as they both flew onwards towards the lake.

“I know,” he answered after a bit of time, “and I wish I could be… but when I’m not make sure you remember that while your Uncle has a good heart and we both love him, some of the things he says and does can be nasty and not always the best for you. Don’t feel like you have to do something he tells you to if it makes you uncomfortable.”

“Okay…” replied Cloud, though it sounded a bit like a groan of boredom.

“Now enough of this,” added Sky with enthusiasm as he curved down into a dive towards the surface of the lake, “let’s catch us some breakfast shall we?”

“Yay!” answered the dark blue wingtail with excitement as he followed his father downwards, “Last one to catch a brown one is a rotten runner egg!”

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Part II:

Sky and his young son Cloud spent two hours fishing, and even made a race out of it to see who could be the first one to catch a brown one… a rare and delicious species of water swimmer in the Abyss Lake that usually took a lot of tries to catch. The blue wingtail ended up catching one first, but doing the fatherly thing he threw it back so Cloud wouldn’t see. Eventually after an hour his son finally got one, and had to whack it on the rocks a few times to kill it.

“Easy, easy!” chided Sky as he grabbed Cloud to prevent him from splitting the poor water swimmer through repeated smacks with his beak, “it’s dead already… there’s no need to hurt yourself.”

“Just making sure he doesn’t get away,” answered the dark blue wingtail with a bit of frustration, “… like the last two did.”

Suddenly Cloud’s face lit up with excitement.

“Hey! I beat you didn’t I?” he teased with a laugh, “that means you’re a rotten runner egg!”

“Yeah I guess I am,” admitted Sky, rolling his eyes so his son wouldn’t see, “now let’s hurry up and eat. Your mother wouldn’t like it if I took you to class late.”

Later in the day Sky and his son Cloud flew together through the trees of the Feral Forest, dodging numerous other wingtails who were just waking up for morning water swimmer catching. Day after day the old wingtail credo, ëthe early flyer gets the fish’ was proven true and today was no different with father and son beating the rush by about half an hour. With the daily routine being as strong as it was here, Sky was somewhat surprised that the water swimmers hadn’t caught on and hid during the morning hours… but then again they were stupid though. Thankfully it remained the case, since otherwise they would never eat!

Cloud banked sharply to the left, and Sky followed him passively.

“Where are you going?” asked the blue wingtail casually, “I thought your class got together by the Cordial Springs.”

“Yeah we do,” answered Cloud, “but mom and the other teachers go to the gathering tree first to talk about what we get to do today. I wanna see her before it starts.”

“Your mother is not your teacher?” asked Sky with a hint of surprise.

“No,” answered the dark blue wingtail with disappointment, “it’s not my season… we all got Mr. Pridewing instead.”

Sky nodded his head in understanding. Wingtail schooling worked by yearlings, where all the wingtails born in between each rainy time were given a teacher for the rest of their lives until they were too old to be taught. This meant that when a particular teacher’s class had gone for three seasons, his/her students were finished and the next and newest set of young wingtails became their new charges. In this particular case Star and Cloud had both come back at the same time, where the scarlet wingtail returned to her current class and the dark blue wingtail joined the new class under Pridewing. The only exception to these rules was Aizon, who had recently returned to wingtail society and offered to ëcontinue’ to teach older students if they were of high potential. Given the navy blue wingtail’s near exalted status since the sharptooth attack, demand was predictably overwhelming. Cloud talked about him a lot, and how when he grew up he wanted to ëbe a Creator just like him!’… a desire that made his father proud.

“There she is!” blurted Cloud with excitement.

The dark blue wingtail dove rapidly into the tops of the tree where all the teachers were together in a circle. Sky followed him in and landed softly within the branches.

“Mommy, mommy!”

Star turned from where she was talking with the other three, and Sky saw her face brighten up at the sight of her first and only son. She opened up her arms, and Cloud sprung forward into them. He was so fast she almost lost her balance and fell off the branch. Whipping her tail around another appendage, the possibly of falling was suddenly no longer a concern.

“Wow your getting very strong aren’t you?” Star commented with a smile as she rubbed her nose against his head, nuzzling his frill out of place.

“We went water swimmer catching this morning my dear,” put out Sky timidly. Having so recently returned to the Feral Forest, seeing her beautiful face so often was getting the better of him. He loved her so much, he found it difficult to express.

“Did you now?” replied Star, in what was more a statement then a question. Cloud pulled his head out of her chest feathers and looked up.

“Guess what mom. I caught a brown one first, so daddy’s a rotten runner egg!”

Sky sniffed in embarrassment, and covered his head a bit. Star chuckled, and slipped out of Cloud’s grasp towards her mate.

“I think I knew that already,” she replied in a friendly manner, hopping a branch so she was right next to Sky, “… and I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Leaning forward, she licked him on the cheek. Passionately, Sky licked her back. It almost seemed like every time she kissed him it took him off his feet and straight into the air. Even after all this time together, Star still was his world. It didn’t even bother him that Cloud was making an expression of disgust.

“Hmm, is that a hair sticking up I see?” commented Star as she turned and noticed Cloud sticking out his tongue.

“Eeek!” squawked the dark blue wingtail, and he shot away before his mom could catch him… not that she really tried.

The scarlet wingtail was still smiling when she turned back towards her mate, who was bearing a thoughtful expression.

“Do you think I could go with him to class,” Sky asked sincerely, “just to make sure everything is alright?”

“Cloud’s very strong Sky,” answered Star with confidence as she watched her son fly away towards the Springs for his lesson, “he can take care of himself. My brother has made sure to teach him that.”

The blue wingtail shifted uncomfortably on his perch.

“I’ve been meaning to talk to you dear about Glide’s lessons. Do you… really think he needs to be taught that way?”

Star closed her eyes and sighed.

“There’s something you should know, Sky… when he started classes the other winglings teased and bullied him. It was so bad I… we had to do something.”

“But why?” uttered the blue wingtail in shock, “…why are they picking on Cloud?”

“Well…” his mate said as she turned to look him in the eyes, and her expression was dire, “…because of you. After what happened with the sharpteeth and the trials and all of that a lot of them were raised by their parents to believe that you are a… bad wingtail.”

Sky’s throat sunk into his stomach. He hadn’t even thought that his previous life would have such a huge effect on his offspring. Suddenly he felt like he was a failure of a father and a failure of a wingtail. How could he have done this to his son that he loved so much? Star grabbed both his wrists, and pulled him lightly towards her body.

“I love you so much Sky,” she continued sincerely, “but I had to make it stop, and Glide knew exactly how. He has been teaching Cloud how to fight and protect himself, and these past few seasons it has been working, though I still worry that he doesn’t have any friends…”

“You don’t need to my love,” interrupted Sky, “I’ll take care of everything… I’ll become a teacher here and set things right.”

Star smiled, and she kissed him again.

“I know you will Sky. Please don’t do anything that will get you hurt… there are a lot of wingtails that think the elders went too soft on you.”

Sky grinned and spread his wings with confidence.

“Trust me.”

And on that note the blue wingtail took off to follow his son, and to try and make right the past wrongs he had committed.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
If this is getting entered in the Fanfiction 2011 Awards, then I'll read it and write a review for it there.  ;)  If not, I can probably still give you a review here.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
And again I have to say, this is the sweetest thing that someone has ever done for me. :DD It really helped me a lot during the past month.
The story is so adorable and a pleasant read so far. :wub I'm happy you're finally sharing it with the rest of the GOF.  :)

On a sidenote, I'm feeling much, much better now. :yes

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Part III:

It took Sky a surprisingly long time to find where Cloud’s class was meeting.  The blue wingtail looked everywhere around the Cordial Springs but Mr. Pridewing’s class couldn’t be found anywhere.  It didn’t help that the other wingtails were unhelpful, either shunning away from him or ignoring him altogether when he asked for directions.  Clearly his non-existent role in the sharptooth attack on the Feral Forest had been embellished to the point of complete fallacy by the endless rumour mongering that followed his departure.

Finally after an hour of searching a lesser flyer (at least by the standards of other wingtails) told him that the entire flight had taken off towards the crater of the Black Mountain to study the volcanic glass.  Sky swiftly thanked her, and then proceeded in the direction she had pointed.

After skirting the tops of the trees and carefully avoiding toxic ash pools he came across them roosting in the trees and on the ground in a small lush clearing at the foot of the former mountain. There were thirty or more winglings that were born in the same season Cloud was, and all of them were here listening eagerly as Pridewing carried on with his presentation.  Even a few wingtail parents were present as well in the upper roosts. Reliving the same education they had received when they were winglings except this time with their children.  Finding an empty branch, Sky fluttered in and landed with a dull thump.

Strange that such a good viewing point was untaken.

“You’re not welcome here traitor,” blurted an older male wingtail, who was in a branch a tree over.

His mate, who was roosting next to him, whispered something to him frantically about starting a fight around all the children, and he harped back at her beyond Sky’s earshot.  The blue wingtail hadn’t been expecting this kind of resentment to be greeting him as he returned home, and it shocked him.

“I wouldn’t take that perch if I were you,” inserted another wingtail on the other side of his own tree, her voice chiding, “…he won’t like it.”

Sky shifted and was about to ask who she was taking about when there was another thump next to him, and the branch started to sag under the extra weight.  Turning his head slowly, the blue wingtail came face to face with the new arrival.  Oh… it was him.

Glide snorted in annoyance, and glared at Sky as though he were jungle runner robbing a nest.

“Here we go again,” muttered Sky under his breath.

“He’s a good kid isn’t he?” commented the blue wingtail casually, trying to start on a positive note, “strong, intelligent and brave.  I am thankful you have been watching over him for me in my absence.”

“Your shadow follows him everywhere,” answered Glide with resentment, “it’s a stain on all of us… we were happier when you were far away.”

Sky decided to level with his brother in law.

“You don’t like me Glide… it’s been that way since we were hatchlings and I accept that, but right now we have to do what we can for Cloud,” stated Sky with confidence, “…Star and I worry about him and I wish there was a way for us to work together to help him make friends.”

The blue wingtail finished the sentence looking at Cloud, who was sitting all on his own in the middle of the field, with all the other winglings at least a metre away.  He had his hand up eagerly, like he wanted to ask a question.

Glide growled with apprehension.

“You can start by getting off my roost before I remove you myself.”

All of the parents, and even some of the children near the back could hear what was going on and they all turned to watch the feud evolving between the two wingtails. More then a few of them were hoping to see him beat the feathers off Sky, if for a bit of action instead of one of Pridewing’s boring lectures. The blue wingtail decided to stand up to him this time.

“Well then you are going to have to ëremove’ me then,” replied Sky with a smile, “because I’m here to watch my son whether you like it or not.”

Glide’s eyes narrowed and he growled low, clinching his fists.  He had promised his sister he would not fight with Sky, and he had to honour his word… but that didn’t mean he had to be nice to his so called brother in law.

A group of three wingtails, all males, took off from the other side of the clearing and landed in a group above, and beside Sky.  They all looked pretty tough, and the blue wingtail could tell they definitely meant trouble.  The one behind him, a grey and rustled looking flyer, scowled at him.

“You heard what Glide said… take off and don’t let us see you near our kids again.”

Sky was about to reply when one of the wingtails behind him kicked him viciously in the back, sending him tumbling off the branch and onto the ground below.  Falling quickly, he managed to bring out his arms quickly enough to parachute his descent.  Sky landed face first in the grass with an aggressive swoosh of wind and hard rustling noise.

Above, the grey male looked down in satisfaction… he was totally unprepared for what happened next.  Glide reached up and grabbed the foot of Sky’s attacker and yanked him downward, triggering a squawk of surprise and pain.  The black wingtail viciously elbowed him in the face and sent him plummeting down the opposite side that Sky had fallen.

“What the… what are you?” was all the grey wingtail managed to utter before Glide leaped forward, grabbed him by the scruff of the neck, and rammed him into the tree trunk.  He squirmed and tried to wrest himself free, but the black wingtail had him totally pinned.

“If you ever lay a wing on one my family again,” uttered Glide with pure venom, “I’ll rip it off and shove the feathers down your throat.”

Looking up, Sky was sure the unfortunate wingtail had vented his waste prematurely on the branch below.

“Are we clear?” the black wingtail demanded.

The grey male nodded his head weakly.  Disgusted, Glide threw him off too right where the first one had gone.  The third wingtail had smartly already flown away.  Pretty much all the children present including Cloud had switched their attention from the class to watch the fight, and a few of them uttered cries of laughter and amusement. A few weren’t so happy, having just seen their fathers beaten up.

Sky noted with pride what had happened above.  His brother had defended him even though there was so much animosity between them.  Glide may not be nice by words, but actions speak much firmer then words and understanding of the black wingtail dawned on his expression.  It was right then he noticed that his left wing was a little bit lighter then it should be.  Absently, Sky patted it down.

The Occular!  Where was it!?!

Suddenly the dark yellow wingtail Pridewing, who had been carrying on with his lecture all through the previous violence, stopped with a start.  Flipping over on the ground, Sky turned towards him.  The Occular had rolled free of his grip and had come to rest on the grassing ground with a slight ring.  The wingtail teacher, who immediately recognised it for what it was, gasped.

“The Occular… precious relic of a past age,” Pridewing uttered with reverence, before turning on Sky accusingly, “…you vile thief.”

In a flash the blue wingtail leaped forward and pounced on the unique and one of a kind eye glass, narrowly beating the diving teacher who had done the same with slightly less swiftness.  The two wingtails grappled for a while, but Sky had the clear edge and soon it was in his hands. Wildly they separated and both got to their feet.

“That belongs to the tree of our forefathers,” uttered Pridewing with noble purpose as opposed to malice, “it is your duty and obligation to return it immediately!”

Sky smiled slyly, noting how all the children were crowding over each other to watch what was going on.  He had an idea.

“I would take it back,” answered Sky with confidence, “but I’m afraid I don’t have it.”

The blue wingtail opened his hands and displayed that they were completely empty.

“What?” said Pridewing with confusion, “but… how?”

“What’s this?” asked Sky with a smile, reaching behind the poor teacher’s ear and pulling out the Occular, “…shame on you.”

Many of the winglings and even some of the adults laughed.  In frustration Pridewing lashed out and grabbed for Sky’s hand, but the blue wingtail was too fast and he spun around quickly to dodge the swipe.  When he had come around, his mouth was bulging like he was holding something in it.

Growling, Pridewing grabbed for Sky’s mouth.  The blue wingtail spat, and a small pebble knocked off the end of the teacher’s nose.  Again laughter broke out amongst the audience.  This was turning into a sort of silly game.

“Alright Sky… I see I can’t win,” muttered the dark yellow wingtail, “you’ve had your fun.”

Smiling, the blue wingtail plucked the Occular out from his tail feathers, rolled it from the end of one arm to the other across his back, and twirled it on the end of his finger.  All around there were noises of wonder and surprise.

“Perhaps you would allow me to take over for a while,” suggested Sky intelligently, “…if you have the time.”

There were cheers from the gathered children, and the loudest was from Cloud who was trying to push his way to the front row.  Pridewing looked up at the parents, and he could see there were scattered nods of approval.  It appeared that most thought Sky was genuine, so he couldn’t see any harm in allowing it.

“Alright,” answered the teacher, “but I expect behaviour exemplary of a teacher… given your previous experience.”

Sky felt a sense of dignity returning to him.  It was nice that the resentment might not be as widespread as the blue wingtail thought it was.  He turned towards the gathered young wingtails and took a deep breath. Grinning smartly, the blue wingtail placed the volcanic eyeglass over his left eye, enlarging it to massive proportions.

“I think I’ll begin with… a story.”

As those gathered would soon find out… Mr. Sky told really good stories.

Up above, Glide gave a slight nod of approval.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that night Sky returned to the family tree to rest.  It had been a very long day.  So much had been made better by his brief teaching session that he couldn’t believe the difference it had made.  The children loved him, and the less bigoted parents approved and even enjoyed his class.  The story of his Far Away Home was the best one he had, and the blue wingtail enjoyed it a lot.

Brushing through the leaves, Sky found roost in his usual place.  Almost immediately he called out for his mate.

“Star… are you here?”

She was, and she jumped down a few branches to greet him.  They both pressed in close and licked one another in affection.

“I heard you had quite a day,” started Star with caring.

“Yeah,” answered Sky enthusiastically, “I think things are going to be alright now for Cloud… I’ve made sure of it.”

She kissed him again.

After the two wingtails parted, Sky had time to look around.  He discovered that they were all alone.

“Where is Cloud?”

“He’s out with Glide and my Uncle Sturgeon… I sent them to go for a late night flight,” replied the scarlet wingtail with a hint of cleverness.

“…why?” asked Sky softly in surprise.

She smiled at him.

“There’s something I want to talk about… just you and I.”

Star clasped his hands.  She clearly had something to say.

“What is it?” asked Sky.

Star blinked slowly, and then brought her nose close to his ear.

“I want a daughter.”

Sky was shocked, but he wasn’t completely surprised.  He knew her so well; he could tell what was coming.  He decided to play the angle of reason.

“A daughter… but… that’s going to be a lot of responsibility.  Are you sure it’s what you want?”

Star looked right at him, deep into his eyes.  He could tell at her very core that it was exactly what she wanted.  The blue wingtail knew the right thing to do.

“If a daughter is what you want…” he said, touching his nose to hers, “then so it shall be.”

Star cooed in approval, and they embraced once more.  By the end of the night, they had mated a second time.

What a wonderful day it had been.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay that is a the end of the short story.  I plan to put this up for the Fanfiction Award, so be sure to read and review!

Caustizer :angel

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
A great an awesome part to complete the little story! :^.^:

Nice to see Glide looking out for his brother in law. Serves that gray wingtail right! :D And aww, the ending part was sweet yet again. :^.^: So it's somewhat official they will have a second child then? Heh, I wonder... :angel

Thanks again for this sweet little story~ :wub
I will definitely give my review later on for the Fanfiction Award.  ;)