The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Opera Issues

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Just today, I had attempted to upgrade Opera to the latest version, 10.01 or something. But the installer wouldn't go through even though it was in the processes in Task Manager. So I stopped it and downloaded the installer and tried again. But the computer suddenly rebooted itself during the installation and Opera wouldn't open anymore. So I had to repair it using the original installer. Still wouldn't open. Tried installing the new version again. Although it did go through, the browser still won't open and I couldn't stop the process, so I rebooted. I attempted to go into the program files section of the computer and try to find my favorites. But while I was in the folder, the computer froze (well kind of; most of the CPU was being taken up and I could not do anything outside of moving the mouse). So I had to reboot a third time.

So currently I have put some of my favorites, through searching, into Firefox for now. Although very slow in opening, Firefox does work fine.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this before and if there's anyway I can fix it without losing all my Opera favorites. I think there's a place on the computer that has the favorites stored, but I don't know where it is exactly.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Import your favorites into IE.  Then all your favorites will be stored in your user folder on the C drive and in that folder, there will be another folder called "favorites".  Just save that and you'll be fine.

Honestly, if this were happening to me, I'd just uninstall Opera and then download the latest version and try to install it.  If that didn't work, I'd format.  There's obviously something seriously wrong and instead of spending 3+ hours trying to solve it, I might as well just format the sucker and fix that problem along with any other one's I had, while speeding the computer up considerably in the process!  

To get a computer working and make it STAY working, just format it, disable the virtual memory paging file, turn off drive indexing, install AVG & Spybot, and use Firefox.  That's pretty much all I do and I have a PERFECTLY working computer all the time.  I format every 6-12 months, but it doesn't matter because all my stuff is on external hard drives or on my server.  If my master computer totally crashed, it wouldn't phase me a bit.  Just back your stuff up regularly, set up your computer properly, and format it when you run into a major problem.

But one thing you shouldn't do is use IE for any reason (unless you're a web designer and need to test usability).  IE is the most common web browser because it comes preinstalled on ALL new PC's.  Because of this, it's also the most vulnerable browser to attacks and malicious software.  Back when I used IE (this was a loooooooooong time ago), I would get tons of crap I never get nowadays.  I'd go to eBay and get a freaking virus or a ton of spyware!  IE just isn't a good idea.  I'm sure Chrome or Opera are viable alternatives, but I always just use Firefox and it's always kept me safe.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
How would I import my favorites to IE from Opera?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Ran the 10.01 installer with no problems.  That's weird.  I wonder if it has to do with the fact I'm running Opera USB (the flash drive version) which doesn't muck with the windows registry.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I'll take that back...it downloaded the update but never applied it and for some reason can't.  But Opera still works fine.  Must be a bug or something.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
How would I import my favorites to IE from Opera?

Well, I don't know if you still need this information, but I'll give it to you anyways just in case you have any use for it in the future.  This works with IE8.  I don't know if it'll work with IE7 because I jumped right from IE6 to IE8 (IE7 SUCKED!).  

Get to the old file menu by pressing CTRL + F, then select "Import and Export".  Choose to import from another browser, then choose Opera.  It's that simple. :yes

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
OT: I tried to install IE8 but I couldn't...never told me why, but it wouldn't install, so I still have IE6 for whenever I must use IE.  Talk about broken compatability.