The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanfiction Character Taken Without Permission?

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ok, so I just recently browsed FF.net, looking at new stories that have been uploaded from LBT, when I noticed something that I find unsettling.

A user named RichardTerminator has written a series story named "The Incredible Life" and uploaded them on FF.net. The basic premise of the series is that humans use a time machine and travel to the Great Valley (I haven't really read enough of the story to know exactly what happens).

In two of these stories, RichardTerminator has included my character Blacktail from Revenge II. He never asked for my permission to use this character, and yet he is using them in his story. Now this is mostly my fault, because I never put a copyright on Blacktail, so I should have known that something like this would have happened. Still, I'm a little upset that he is using my character and he never asked me if I could. He also is using Scarbeak from Revenge II, but Scarbeak isn't my character so I'm not as concerned about it.

I probably already know the answer to this question because I never copyrighted Blacktail, but is there any possible course of action that I can and should take against this? I really don't want this user to be taking credit for my character, even though I never officially copyrighted said character.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
If you did not give permission to this author to use your character, if he has never asked permission to use your character, then I suggest you contact the author and inform him of this. Tell him you don't like that he used your character without asking first.

LBTlover247

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
Also, this author is copying another LBT fanfic that had a similar idea. Same idea, different characters/OCs and a WTF plot. I was a fan of the original, but I think it was deleted sometime ago. It's this reason why I don't read his/her stories and the fact that most of his/her fanfics are like "WTF? that would NEVER happen in the LBT universe!" :bang

ARAJediMaster

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I would concur with you there, LBT fan13. An author should ask you for permission to loan your character before using him/her.