The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Which Mr. Threehorn era do you prefer?

Guest · 17 · 1863

Bruton the Iguanodon

I made this poll cause I'm bothered about them having to bring Tria and Tricia in to "soften him up". I thought he was doing fine by 9. Ayways, it's not that I don't like Tria and Tricia, but I prefered Mr. Threehorn when they weren't in his life. I hate the idea of him going soft. It's just...not him.

MC CJ'S REVENGE

• Chomper
    • View Profile
To be honest ever since LBT 11 Threehorn is soft except for some exceptions here and there, but the dude has gotten soft compared to the earlier sequels.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I know.

I think it really sucks how they basically detroyed his character after 9. He was one of the my favorite characters in the series. I really like his song in 3, and think it's probably one of the most underated sequel songs. People love "Very Important Creature"---but never seem to bother mentioning this one.  As Alicloud pointed out, it's not a slow ballad song but it's trying to be serious. It's frustrating that we have no other songs like these.

But anyways this new era of "softening" just isn't the Mr. Threehorn era of my childhood. Post "Journey to Big Water" LBT in general isn't the LBT of my cildhood!  :cry

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't think he's THAT sofened up in the TV series. In "Cave of Many Voices" He tells Chomper a scare story about how all his teeth are gonna fall out, then he'll fall apart, and he'll be a pile of bones by sundown. In "The Amazing Threrehorn Girl" Topsy is basically a pompous blowhard that won't shutup about his daughter.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
3. He had justification for his actions in that movie. His upbringing was the reason for the way he acted. However, he saw that this was not the way to raise a child like Cera. He also learned that relying on others was not something bad, as I'm guessing it was pride that made him take a different route during the fire. He softened in the 3rd movie. Later on, he just became more and more bitter and unlikeable to me. He continued believing he was always right and never accepted the opinions of others. It was like his personality went backwards. Just like Cera's. I like character progression when it's going forward. It's like saying you'll change, change for a day, and the next you're back to your old ways.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Definetely the classic. That's the Mr. Threehorn I know and love to hate.

I also agree with vonboy. Telling a kid that he's going to be nothing but bones by the end of the day is pretty harsh, and just walking away when said kid is freaking out? What a little son of a monkey's uncle. He's still pretty pompous in the series, like von said.

Still, I have to go with the classic.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I didn't say earlier, but yeah, I LOVE classic Mr. Threehorn! He one of my favorite characters in LBT. If you've ever talked to me on Skype, you'll also know that I love to talk like him. (Well, I just love doing crotchety old man voice in general. :p).

I'm surprised though that other people love him too. I would have expected most people to just hate him, instead of loving to hate him. A lot of people seem to hate characters like him, while I just love characters like that for what they are.

I don't like him much in 11 and 12, like you, Bruton. I feel they could have still kept his character, while still bringing in his love interest.

I guess I'll bring up how I handle it in my fanfiction. I still have Mr. Threehorn being an ass, Tria calling him out for it, him saying he's sorry, then him going back to being an ass. :DD

One joke I remember I did was during a meeting scene.

----------------------------------------------

Mr. Threehorn: "While we're at it, let's get rid of Littlefoot too! He's a bad influence on the children! Always getting them in trouble and..."

Bron and Grandma Longneck both give Mr. Threehorn a hard whack with their massive tails, knocking him over.

Tria walks over to Mr. Threehorn. She laughs while she helps her mate back up.

------------------------------------

Oh, I sent you a message before, Bruton, but why don't you give my fiction a read? I'd actually like to know what you think of it. :DD
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: vonboy,Mar 12 2012 on  07:17 PM
I guess I'll bring up how I handle it in my fanfiction. I still have Mr. Threehorn being an ass, Tria calling him out for it, him saying he's sorry, then him going back to being an ass. :DD
Then I wonder why Tria bothers staying with him if he keeps acting like a jerk. As I recall, Tria isn't really fond of Topsy's more negative aspects, like the way he reacted towards the tinysauruses. If he keeps being an "ass", then I don't see much logical reason for Tria to stay with him. You can only apologize so much before it goes stale. This isn't meant to be an attack and I apologize if it seems like it.

So that's why I do approve of his softened personality. It shows that he has grown and matured. To have him keep going back to being a jerk seems like a step in the wrong direction, in my opinion. I'm not saying I don't like his older self. I'm just saying him softening up isn't really a bad move; it's good movie writing. Characters that undergo realistic changes are more believable, in my opinion, than characters that never ever change.

Bruton the Iguanodon

For the record, the classic era's duration readin "1-9" is not a mistake: 9 was his last "classic" appearence. His appearence in 10, on the other hand, was a complete joke  <_<  It provided a bridge between the classic Mr. Threehorn era and the new one.

As someone on Itunes said about Jewel after her switch to country:

I love ya, Jewel, but I just can't hang with the new country thing. I hope it was your decision and not some producer telling you how to sell albums. Gotta be true to your heart, and if this is where your heart is, then go for it. I'll just have to stick to your older stuff.

Well, I guess this is the case with me and Mr. Threehorn. I hope they're making it an actual mature decision on his part, and not the producers deciding for him to be "suddenly softened". If that's who Topps is now, that's who he is now, and I'll just have to stick with his appearences in the first 9 films.

MC CJ'S REVENGE

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Mar 12 2012 on  08:00 PM
Quote from: vonboy,Mar 12 2012 on  07:17 PM
Then I wonder why Tria bothers staying with him if he keeps acting like a jerk. As I recall, Tria isn't really fond of Topsy's more negative aspects, like the way he reacted towards the tinysauruses. If he keeps being an "ass", then I don't see much logical reason for Tria to stay with him. You can only apologize so much before it goes stale. This isn't meant to be an attack and I apologize if it seems like it.

Apparently Tria sees something in Threehorn that no else in the valley or the viewers of the movies for that matter sees.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Considering you put 9 of the movies first, and only left 4 movies for the other era, one of which is the dreaded Wisdom of Friends :p...

I kind of like both actually. It was kind of nice to add some more characters later in the series, but I also liked it when he was like the king of the valley.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
1-9, definitely. He was a douche, but a magnificent one.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Dr. Curzon

• Spike
    • View Profile
I chose the "classic" Mr. Threehorn. It was then when his "protectiveness" over Cera was, and I like the way he cares for her.

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I see no difference between these two eras. Topsy is mean in both of them, so I can't choose.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I liked the way that he and Cera seemed to change a bit over the course of the movies.  Not sure which of the 2 eras Like better.  That would take more viewing of the movies and thinking it over.   Though in general I like the writing of the earlier sequels to the later sequels.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Though I like his badass moments I still prefer his personality in later sequels :)
Inactive, probably forever.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I haven't seen all of the TV episodes through and through, so I can't really say how Tops' attitude changes if at all, but from the sequels, while easily adds more conflict as an herbivore, can be insufferable in a sense that he usually sparks the needless arguments among the adult dinosaurs, which more often than not, makes our main gang go off and try it fix everything themselves.

The sequels tend to throw away consistency for the sake of their own plots, and while I still welcomed the change in our introduction to Tria and Tricia, I think it would have been better to have him gradually shift his racist, "every dinosaur for himself" attitude from sequel 3 and still keep his tough and bull headed behavior in tact. Like what they did with Sokka in Avatar: The Last Airbender, changing him from a sexist, "men are men", goofball, to a warrior that has a righter respect for women, though still was in character.