The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Has the great valley always been protected?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
In LBT 6, grandpa told his story in the setting of the great valley.  His exact words were "and then one day, the sharptooth came".  How did it get into the valley?  Has the valley always been safe?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
It is some time ago that we had a rather interesting thread about the Great Valley and why it would be a saver place than any other valley.
The only reason explicitly stated in LBT 2, the Great Wall, doesn't sound very plausible all by itself. Valleys are usually surrounded by mountains and it would be unlikely to consider the Great Valley the only place surrounded by mountains so steep and rugged as to allow entrance only at a few spots. Later sequels than LBT 2 (for example LBT 4, 7, 8) clearly showed that herds enter and leave the Great Valley. Those herds included longnecks, the largest dinosaurs we know of. There is no plausible reason why a sharptooth should not "fit" through a gap which allows a longneck. So the Great Valley cannot possibly be completely sealed of by the Great Wall alone.
My guess is that the reason for the relative safety of the Great Valley is much simpler.
Sharpteeth probably dread that place and only go there if they have to.
In the Great Valley the dinosaurs of all kind stick together and we saw that their sticking together made their defence of the Valley against Chomper's parents in LBT 2 rather effective. No sharptooth (excepting Chomper) who entered the Great Valley fared well. In LBT 6 we saw 3 sharpteeth being killed for entering the Great Valley or even its outskirts. It is possible to assume that in the long time of the Great Valley history those three sharpteeth were not the only ones who lost their lives for entering the Great Valley.
Now lets take a look at the Mysterious Beyond around the Great Valley as it was presented in LBT 2 and 3. What do we see? Corpses! Skeletons! A sharptooth's paradise!
Out in the Mysterious Beyond Sharpteeth may pursue migrating herds and go for the stragglers rather than facing a whole bunch of dinosaurs of all kinds who want to "stand their ground" by all means (while a herd in the inhospitable Mysterious Beyone would just want to get on to the next hospitable place as quickly as possible). Live is much less dangerous and probably more rewarding for a Sharptooth in the Mysterious Beyond.
Another indication that this assumption may be true is the fact that Chomper's parents left the Great Valley the moment they had recovered her son. Neither of them showed the slightest sign of any desire to stay in the Great Valley for any second longer than necessary.
I suppose the Great Valley is not a safe place because Sharpteeth couldn't go ther. I suppose the Great Valley is a safe place because no Sharpteeth in a healthy state of mind would want to go there.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That seems to be true.  In LBT 10, the place where all the longnecks went was just as safe as the great valley.  Bron said "sharpteeth are cowards.  Look at how many of us there are.  They would never attack a heard this size.  And remember, they only hunt in two's and three's.  Your friend Sue could handle that many herself".  Forgive me if I didn't get that quote quite right.  I did it from memory so it's bound to be inaccurate.

Anyway, I guess what Bron said was correct.  No sharptooth would want to go to the great valley.  They would be up against too many leaf eaters to be able to have a snack without meeting certain death.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I disagree with Bron about the coward point. Sharpteeth were turned into kid toys in LBT 8, 10, 11, and 12. There was nothing coward about the Sharpteeth in LBT 6. If Sharpteeth are not going to enter the Great Valley that's no cowardice if they can have a life so much easier outside the Great Valley. Chomper's parents entered the Great Valley in search of Chomper's egg. I really dislike the trend to make sharpteeth turn dumb and harmless  <_<

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I really dislike the trend to make sharpteeth turn dumb and harmless

Just another way to make LBT more childish.  I hope it doesn't get too bad though.  Oops-eeps was soooooo close to making me think that LBT was ruined.  The later episodes were good though.  I hope they don't return to that trend.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
That seems to be true. In LBT 10, the place where all the longnecks went was just as safe as the great valley. Bron said "sharpteeth are cowards. Look at how many of us there are. They would never attack a heard this size. And remember, they only hunt in two's and three's. Your friend Sue could handle that many herself". Forgive me if I didn't get that quote quite right. I did it from memory so it's bound to be inaccurate.

Anyway, I guess what Bron said was correct. No sharptooth would want to go to the great valley. They would be up against too many leaf eaters to be able to have a snack without meeting certain death.

I disagree with Bron about the coward point. Sharpteeth were turned into kid toys in LBT 8, 10, 11, and 12. There was nothing coward about the Sharpteeth in LBT 6. If Sharpteeth are not going to enter the Great Valley that's no cowardice if they can have a life so much easier outside the Great Valley. Chomper's parents entered the Great Valley in search of Chomper's egg. I really dislike the trend to make sharpteeth turn dumb and harmless

Is it really cowardice? No. Bron is wrong about that. A more likely reason as to why sharpteeth have not attacked the herd is because they fear that they will not be able to get a meal without getting seriously injured. Carnivores know instinctively that they won't be able to successfully hunt if they become injured, such as a broken bone. So they will generally back down if the challenge becomes too great for them.

This does not mean that they are cowards. It means they are smart, and know when it's just not worth the effort. So from what Bron said, about sharpteeth usually not attacking large herds, this concludes sharpteeth are actually very smart, not cowards, in my opinion.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
Well Red Claw isn't dump or his two fast biters that work for him, he did get confused by the sounds but anyone would if it was very loud all the sudden. If you was in a dark cave in a group of three then you hear a lot of loud noises of something big in suck a large cave area you'd most likely freak out and run for safety. I know I would, being safe then sorry.

As for another sence with the hidden valley the battle turned around cause Red Claw ate some of that fruit which really a dislike smell to them making him leave cause it was far too strong and the defence the leaf eaters was giving as well.

The TV Series over all I think has returned a Sharptooth that isn't dump but smart enough to remember the kids that really gets his back up and try to eat them. Thud I think it was let them go on Escape from the Mystierous beyond cause Chomper helped him out to get free. paying back the favor as it were or it could of been the end of the kids but thanks to a soft but little change from Thud it all changed around. even next time they meet be meals again for those three.