The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My Forum

Serris · 43 · 4186

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
I don't think I have it... I went to the CSS anyway. Have you tried insert the banner in the CSS? I think it replaces the Invision logo.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: Explorer,Nov 18 2008 on  02:28 PM
I don't think I have it... I went to the CSS anyway. Have you tried insert the banner in the CSS? I think it replaces the Invision logo.
I know some CSS but I don't know how to add the banner to CSS.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
Ok, here's what I did...

Find the logostrip

#logostrip { text-align: center; border:1px solid #345487; background-color: blue;background-image:url (insert url here) (...)}

Don't erase what's between (...), though. Just insert the url properly and its there.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Does not work. The banner ends up as an unsightly mess and the Invisionfree emblem is still there.

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Code:  on  
#logostrip { border:0px solid transparent;background-color:transparent;padding:0px;margin:0px; }

Here is the GOF's logostrip...you can try it.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Someone had decided to put this post on my forum:

pirho is right.
animals are good only on plates with some steak sauce.
what is this nonsense? animals getting jobs?
it is riDONKulous.

I sent him this PM:

Hello, Drakon here.

I am letting you know that your post:
pirho is right.
animals are good only on plates with some steak sauce.
what is this nonsense? animals getting jobs?
it is riDONKulous.

Has violated this rule:

- No spam posts (posts that offer no meaningful discussion)

You will not be warned but I am deleting that post. If you continue spamming the Furry section, you will have your posting privilages revoked for a few days.

Thank you for your understanding.

-------------

Did I go too far in declaring that post spam and deleting it?

Was I too harsh? I want my forum to grow and I am afraid that I may turn some some potential members off if I revoke the posting privilages of a new member so quickly. Then again, if I let him go, my forum will be runneth over with spam and that's a huge turn-off.

But then again, I assumed that this poster read the rules and thus knew that post was not allowed.

On a side note, I got this damn advertisement that makes noise. Is there anyway to change it so it becomes a silent ad?

And how do I move my domain to the z7.invisionfree server like the one the GOF is on?

Sorry for all these questions.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Looks like me you did the right thing.  Spam and flames and such you can't just let sit there for a while.  Though the admin here will have stuff to say, maybe different opinions.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I'd have to see the post in context, but it sounds like it could be part of a discussion.  By itself, the topic is not spam or a flame (to any members).

I don't know about the banner ads.  I can't choose what I get or what I don't get.  Maybe your board has to be online for a while, then the noisy ones go away.  You can't move servers either.  Whatever the system put you on is where you have to stay.  z7 has been around for a spell so its probably reached its capacity.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Nov 20 2008 on  06:25 AM
I'd have to see the post in context, but it sounds like it could be part of a discussion.  By itself, the topic is not spam or a flame (to any members).

That post was on a discussion about furry discrimination. It was in the "Furry World" forum which is for discussing hypothetical situtations as if anthropomorphic animals were real.

Dark Pterano

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Not to make a  :lol  but anthropomorphic animals! Have feeling's too you know. Where have I heard part of this before, I think it had something to do with LBT?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Actually, now that I read the post, I think you made the wrong call.  Your topic is as clear as mud and I could see why the person wrote that.  I agreed with this statement: "furry situations should be explicitly hypothetical so we can have a clearer discussion."

You can't restore the post, but you can apologize for it saying you hit the wrong button or something.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
About how large should the forum be before I consider staff? I'm currently the only staff member (admin).

And there are 4 staff positions:

Sentinel - entry level.
Senior Moderator
Administrator

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Instead of a number I'd suggest, if it gets to where you feel you as sole admin can't handle doing everything yourself and you feel you need help.

buffypii

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/buffypii
Hmm.. Looks like an interesting forum!

However, I can't join as I am already a member at 6 forums... I wouldn't have enough time!

Sorry!

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Kor's got a point...you do it solo until you need someone else to help you because the forum is too big.  That is one way of determining when you need a staff.

Another way I'd suggest looking at it is if you feel you're out of ideas and can't seem to figure out what direction to go.  Staff members (in a private section) might offer some input and suggestions you hadn't thought of.  That's the benefit of having a staff so that you don't have to be the only one calling the shots.  This is much harder to determine since everyone usually wants to be on staff and have some sort of power.

In the end, you will need a staff....you can't go alone forever, especially if you want your board to grow.  I'll be honest when I say not everyone is comfortable talking to me and might have better relationships with Malte or Tim so if there's an issue, sometimes my staff will get the message instead of me and can act on things.  This is how it should be.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Exactly how to I get the Phipaw icon I chose as a custom button (for new post indicator) to have a transparent background (had transparent background when it was done on Photoshop)?

Also, how do I hide the tag that shows the member number and the date registered from view (for members only, staff can still see the stats)?

Also, are there any tips to get more members? I have a link on every location that allows it (usually in a small link in a signature).

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Its a piece of code to remove the Member# and Date joined like we have here on the GOF.

Under Board Wrappers go to Footer and enter this:

Code:  on  

<script type="text/javascript">
var jSpan = document.getElementsByTagName("span")
for(s=0;s<jSpan.length;s++){
if(jSpan[s].className.match("postdetails") && jSpan[s].innerHTML.match(/Joined: /i)){
jSpan[s].innerHTML = jSpan[s].innerHTML.replace(/Joined:\s.+<\w+>/i,'<br />')
}}
</script>
<script type='text/javascript'>
<!--
// remove member no by ticlo/Stefan

e = document.getElementsByTagName('SPAN')
for (n = 0; n < e.length; n++) {
if (e[n].className == 'postdetails') {
for (c = e[n].firstChild; c; c = c.nextSibling) {
if ((c.nodeName == '#text') && (c.nodeValue.indexOf('Member No.:') != -1)) {
c.parentNode.removeChild(c.nextSibling); c.parentNode.removeChild(c); break;}
}}}
// -->
</script>
<script type='text/javascript' language='JavaScript'>
<!--
var n, l;
for (n = 0; n < document.links.length; n++){
  l = document.links[n];
  if (l.href.indexOf("showuser=") != -1){
     l.style.textDecoration = 'none';
  }
};
// -->
</script>

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I can't help you on members.  As you can tell I started a new board myself, and its often a very (VERY) slow start to many boards as they get new members.  Advertise where you can and when you can.  The members will come in the end.  The GOF has been online over five years now and we're still pretty darn small...so you either hit on a real good idea and get lucky, or you stay small for many years and have a tight knit community.

Sableye

• Spike
    • View Profile
If you want tips on gaining members, I suggest you take a look at these forums. They got a bunch of articles and threads that you may find useful. This forum in particular will help you out.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
How large should custom buttons be?

I have made some custom buttons for the forum but the text comes out to be unreadable.