The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time Wiki

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
This is a post written simply to test the water, so to speak. At the moment I'm considering seriously encouraging more non-canonical content on the LBT wiki. This is for two reasons:

1. Growth
I feel that a good wiki should always be aiming to grow, and as Universal aren't planning on coughing up more canonical material just yet, non-canon is the only way forward at present. In any case, I believe that as long as it is clear to readers that what they're reading is non-canon, it will be a great addition to the wiki if it truly takes off. Although canon is important, the surrounding LBT community is important too, and it is still LBT-related.

2. Member Numbers
This is one of those things one shouldn't perhaps admit, but I would be hoping that members here editing their own fan-work over at the wiki would get a taste for it, and start editing the wiki as a whole. There's been a real slump in editors of late, and it would be gratifying to change that if possible.

A start has already been made with the introduction of the Own Character section, which has had a few entries to date, but I would really like to expand non-canon as a whole more dramatically if possible. But before this all gets going, I'd like to know what everyone here, the place which most editors in this departament would come from, thought about the idea. There is a bit of work to be done before a lot of this can really get moving, and I don't wish to waste time doing it all if it turns out that noone would be interested, which would, after all, be fair enough.

Things that immediately come to mind are fanfictions, roleplays and the like, although things like the game currently being worked on here (unless it's been finished during my abscence!) would certianly warrant a page in my opinion. In any case, all I want here are opinons, ideas and a general indication of the level of enthusiasm.

P.S Good to be back!

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Others may like doing that, but I'm staying away from the place for personal reasons.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
This idea could possibly work, but it would require time which at times such as this is a luxury...but I'm certainly willing to give this a shot, as I happen to see the wiki OC section was a grand and well received addition.

As it turns out a fellow LBT fan on DeviantArt has requested that I create a Wiki page for a Land before time web comic of his...and that in my mind would certainly qualify as fan based non-canonical work. I say we give it a try.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
What I don't like about wikis is the free-for-all editing and you cannot protect your own works.  Even here, you can post stuff and the only people who can change your messages are you, and the staff.  Even that security doesn't exist on wikis.  That's probably the main reason you're not getting any support...creators want to know their works and descriptions are safe.

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Aug 6 2009 on  02:01 PM
What I don't like about wikis is the free-for-all editing and you cannot protect your own works.  Even here, you can post stuff and the only people who can change your messages are you, and the staff.  Even that security doesn't exist on wikis.  That's probably the main reason you're not getting any support...creators want to know their works and descriptions are safe.
True, although it's a simple matter to automatically keep an eye on a page; and anything obviously vandalism can be easily reverted. There aren't many people who will attempt to constructively edit something they know nothing about, unless it's just spelling and grammar issues, and the be honest, I don't think anyone here would mind someone else doing that to their work. I guess the idea of a wiki is that it isn't yours, it's like a contribution you make to the wiki.

Your point still stands though. I'm really glad to see some positive response as well too.

As it turns out a fellow LBT fan on DeviantArt has requested that I create a Wiki page for a Land before time web comic of his...and that in my mind would certainly qualify as fan based non-canonical work
Mine too; that's exactly the kind of thing I'd like to see, a description with maybe an image or two and links.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well, if you want to add non- canonical stuff thats fine, but be aware that anyone can out up anything..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Mine too; that's exactly the kind of thing I'd like to see, a description with maybe an image or two and links.
Then I say we give this a shot...although I'm not sure how to update or create a new Wiki page...

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I think LBT projects such as our songs and the game we're working on have more of a place on an LBT wiki for the sake of demonstrating fan devotion and community spirit than actual fanfics.  Even then, I don't believe they should ever take over the wiki because, no matter how little growth LBT has in the future, if LBT is strong enough to hold on anyway, we don't need to force it to artificially grow.  

Classic nintendo games are still popular even though they've been beaten and perfected to death a billion times by now.  Why?  They were loved.  We don't need to keep forcing new LBT content to keep it popular.  Eventually, all the fanmaterial in the world won't be enough to hold something up that can't hold itself up in the end.  If LBT Wiki dies, it's because LBT has died, not because there isn't sufficient fan material.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: The Great Valley Guardian,Aug 10 2009 on  11:58 PM
Then I say we give this a shot...although I'm not sure how to update or create a new Wiki page...
It's not hard at all. Just go to this link and type in the character name at the end of the text. Whala!