The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Another Version of If We Hold on Together

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
While browsing videos on YouTube with "If We Hold On Together" in the search bar, I stumbled upon this version that actually has a spoken intro before the actual singing, and that is also different from the original too. Apparently, this version came from her unofficial release CD Album Soul Kiss: Motown Lost & Found (1970-1995), which was only released recently in 2017. You can find it here, tracklist number 13. So far, the only website I found that was selling these CDs is this one, but there's only one left in stock as of right now. So yeah, this was a very interesting find for me. :smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eAwJlQP8RE

The spoken dialogue by Diana Ross herself at the beginning goes as follows...

The great circle of life has begun.
Some things you can see with your eyes,
others you see with your heart.
I'll be there with you,
even if you can't see me.
Let your heart be your guide.
It whispers...
so listen closely.
As long as you remember the things I've taught you,
in a way, we'll never be apart.
Because we are still a part of each other.
Look! A treestar!
It's very special.
It'll help you to grow strong and show you the way to the Great Valley,
where we can live together and in peace.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This is truly an amazing find, ImpracticalDino!  :)littlefoot Ever since I was a child and saw the first film in theaters this song had a great impact on me. It is quite interesting to hear this alternative version of the song. I wonder if there were other versions with Diana Ross that they considered before finally deciding on the final version without any spoken dialogue, or if there were only these two versions.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 09:10:08 PM by rhombus »

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP59zs9B93k

This "very rare James Horner instrumental version" of If We Hold On Together could also be another possible version for the movie's ending, or possibly a separate version all together. Not really sure what release this one is from. The only possible reference I could find was from the Discogs website again, which is found here. Look for "If We Hold On Together (Instrumental)" and you'll see four tracks all released in different years and under the same label MCA Records. In fact, with the YouTube video I've put above, the pictures of album covers and CDS that the uploader put correspond with some, maybe all of the pictures that are shown when you click each individual release on the Discogs website. There's honestly not much I could find on the internet when researching this version.

Also, here's some versions of the MCA Label instrumental CDs with B and A sides that weren't shown in the YouTube video. I'm not really sure if the version in the YouTube video is actually on one of these CDs unless any of you happen to own one or if you can somehow dig deeper on this topic and find a different alibi.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Both of these are amazing finds!!! Thank you for sharing them!!  :cheers :cheers

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
This is very interesting. I like how the first video quoted some of Littlefoot's mother's last words verbatim. Makes me wonder if they had to cut some of the dialogue out from her death scene.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Darn, @ImpracticalDino. YouTube saw what you were doing and removed the videos! :'(

@Dr. Rex: Dang it! That’s a real darn shame. I wish I actually took the liberty of downloading the MP3s for those vids. :cry

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Darn, @ImpracticalDino. YouTube saw what you were doing and removed the videos! :'(

@Dr. Rex: Dang it! That’s a real darn shame. I wish I actually took the liberty of downloading the MP3s for those vids. :cry
I guess that's now something to think about when we find more rare gems like those videos.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

I guess that's now something to think about when we find more rare gems like those videos.

One of the songs has been reuploaded actually. The one with Diana Ross’s dialogue at the beginning, I’m not sure when or if it will be reuploaded.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile

I did manage to download the audio off Youtube, didn't know it was gonna go down. Uh, PM me if you want it?
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.