The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Firefox cerficiation issue unverifies all add-ons

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I just figured I would mention this in case anyone uses Firefox and is wondering what happened with their addons. As of 12:00 am UTC, nearly all Firefox extensions are disabled due to the fact that their developers let the intermediate signing certificate expire. This colossal screw up is making all Firefox installs treat all addons as unsigned.

Now if you are surprised that Mozilla's certification system allowed them to nuke addons from your browser with no opt-out, then join the club.  The r/firefox reddit is going nuts right now.  I will post updates here as I become aware of them though, in light of this latest incident, this might be a good time for me to consider other browser options.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 12:14:13 AM by rhombus »

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
Google Chrome has worked for me years with no problems whatsoever. I just about use Firefox, only on the computers of my school, and now not even that anymore since they got taken away.  :PCera

Internet Explorer, I've used as well, but I can honestly say that I prefer Chrome over anything right now.  :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I haven't restarted mine since that incident so I guess my add-ons still work? At least my adblock still seems to be intact  :thinking
Inactive, probably forever.

DiddyKF1

• Monkey of Many Mysteries from the Fruitiest Forests
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Proud supporter of DuckyxPetrie!
    • View Profile
I still have my adblocker ... at least, for now ...

I quit using Google Chrome because it sucked up my memory and made my computer freeze constantly, and I switched to Firefox because it was more reliable than Chrome.
Suddenly, I've written so many fanfics that I can't possibly list them all! :P

Ducky x Petrie forever! :)petrie :duckyhappy

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, my add-ons just became active again so I would assume that they have applied a fix. Still, this is a rather embarrassing screw up by someone on their team.  As for Chrome, I do not use it due to some rather serious privacy issues.  I have considered trying some builds of Chromium that have privacy enhancements, however.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
That's certainly...interesting to say the least. My add-ons didn't break at all, but then again I wasn't using Firefox for the entire time allotted that they had a certification issue and were fixing it afterwards.

For me personally, I have used Firefox since the day I found out about the browser. I was attracted to it for some reason, don't remember why. I do know why I continue to use it however, because of their mission statement and the fact that they're committed to making privacy the number one priority. I was also super happy to see Firefox Quantum, showing their dedication to make the browsing experience better for everyone. Google Chrome, like rhombus has said has some major privacy issues.

Also, I HATE the fact that certain websites prevent you from using their services or accessing them unless you use a different browser (i.e Google Chrome). :anger But guess what... if you change your browser user agent to the browser they want you to use, it actually works perfectly fine. And even if it truly had issues on certain browsers, just give people some kind of warning and let them proceed anyway. Google Chrome already has dominance over the internet market share, and it's going to get worse if developers only develop for the interest of one browser only. We don't want to go back to the days of Internet Explorer now, do we?

*UPDATE* - My add-ons did end up breaking due to that certificate issue you were talking about, but since there was already a fix out, I just downloaded the patch and everything was fixed momentarily.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 11:46:50 PM by ImpracticalDino »

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...