The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

YouTube ads

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
Have you ever went on to YouTube and, you know, saw an ad that was obviously a scam?  Heck, I found one recently that straight up stole footage from a Minecraft trailer and said: “Download Minecraft for free!”.  I mean, what is going on with YouTube choosing good ads? :anger

Like, have you experienced anything like this before?  Have you seen an ad far worse than this one?

(sorry that I couldn’t include a screenshot, apparently the photo I took doesn’t accept the file type, so that’s why there’s no photo down below…)

Mouse-a-saur

• A Winchesterian Paradox
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
I've seen a lot of weird diet ads that seem pretty suspicious  and clickbait-esque. It's like anyone can make a scam ad  :rhett_ohsnap

~*And I'm something called a Jared Padalecki*~

fried-longneck

• Member+
  • Chomper
  • He could be any one of us
    • View Profile
I saw a lot of scam ads

Also there are mobile game ads,that we all know what they look like

chomper94

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's like anyone can make a scam ad  :rhett_ohsnap

Just like that fake $1,000 giveaway by MrBeast ad I saw very recently on YouTube.  Seriously, if a YouTuber is popular, then someone will make a scam ad out of it, so your right, anyone can make a scam ad @Mouse-a-saur.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, part of the reason I have AdBlock Plus these days.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The ads on Youtube are not handpicked by Google. Generally the ad companies go through a vetting process, after which they are allowed to air whatever ads suits them. You can report fraudulent ads to Youtube while they play. This of course does not apply to video sponsors (where the youtuber themselves do the ad in-video).

I am 100% for using an ad-blocker online. I've personally moved on from AdBlock Plus to Ublock Origin.

If you use Youtube on your phone, you might want to look into Youtube Vanced (though it will take some technical skill to install).

If you use Youtube on your tv, just get Youtube Premium :P

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I've seen a lot of weird diet ads that seem pretty suspicious and clickbait-esque
God I'm so sick of those. Also Vrbo, screw off Vrbo nobody's going vacationing during a global pandemic

chomper94

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The ads on Youtube are not handpicked by Google. Generally the ad companies go through a vetting process, after which they are allowed to air whatever ads suits them. You can report fraudulent ads to Youtube while they play. This of course does not apply to video sponsors (where the youtuber themselves do the ad in-video).

First of all, surprised how you got that much information, impressive.  Secondly, I feel YouTube really needs to check that process, because how come they are fine with letting a scam ad air on YouTube, but not fine with a very violent video that YouTube blocks?

Mouse-a-saur

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on July 18, 2021, 04:36:37 AM
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on July 18, 2021, 04:36:37 AM
Also Vrbo, screw off Vrbo nobody's going vacationing during a global pandemic

Ain't that the truth, lol  :PLoofah

chomper94

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Recently, I saw an ad on YouTube saying how you can get Among Us for free.  But…can’t you already get it for free on mobile?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
To be fair, you could get it for free a while back on Epic Games Store. Without ads and all that and on pc :) (though I am not sure if that is what the ad was referring to)

chomper94

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
To be fair, you could get it for free a while back on Epic Games Store. Without ads and all that and on pc :) (though I am not sure if that is what the ad was referring to)

I’m pretty sure the ad was referring to the PC version.  Still, even if you advertise the PC version for free, I’m still gonna get the free version on mobile, because the mobile version was always free.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
YouTube ads are just annoying period. They are, they are! :duckyworried

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I will admit that I do have Adblock Plus on my computer.  However, I have nothing to block ads on my phone.  As such, I do see some.  Here are my biggest complaints.

Even though you can skip it if it's long, some are just a ridiculous length.  I mean, one that I skipped was a ridiculous 42 minutes.  No, I'm not joking.

Dr. Sasquatch Ads need to disappear.  They're some of the most annoying to me.  Plus, I don't like the guy for various reasons.

Not to mention those scam ads that were brought up earlier.

In the end, if they're here to stay, then there needs to be a screening process to remove the bad and scam ones.  At least they won't be as bad.

Anatolie

• Ruby
    • View Profile
The AD is saw and realized was fraud rightaway was on Bitcoin: Fake Elon Musk giveaway scam. Who in this world gives away such precious and valuable item like a bitcoin???

Mouse-a-saur

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
The AD is saw and realized was fraud rightaway was on Bitcoin: Fake Elon Musk giveaway scam. Who in this world gives away such precious and valuable item like a bitcoin???
That is really sketchy  :thudstonk

chomper94

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I saw an ad just now that was 45 minutes long.  Thank god it was skippable. :rolleyes

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You guys must be living in the stone age if you're seeing ads on YouTube  :duckyOK

There are so many adblockers that work astonishingly accurate and I fail to see why anyone could possibly not use them  :bolt

Edit: oh and there are well-functioning mobile browsers that have an integrated adblocker. Just look around at your respective app store and you'll surely find something to use  :^^spike
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 02:47:50 PM by Ducky123 »
Inactive, probably forever.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
I installed adblock only couple years ago, after 15 years of watching ad everywhere. :)
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
50 minute ad recently watched.  New personal record!

No, I am not impressed, YouTube.  I'm disappointed.