The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Muama Ryoko - A Handheld Modem

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Introducing, the Muama Ryoko, a wi-fi Modem you can take with you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PvugcObFBoB9ZapRGkv7a_Y0VOCBIB2c/view?usp=sharing

I got this less than a week ago and have been testing it.  I had a difficulty or two getting it to work, but I got it working.

Now, I will admit that I got a little distraught when I saw the reviews of some not getting theirs.  However, I took precautions and paid via Paypal.  That way, if I didn't get it, I would be able to refund it with little trouble.  I chose to give them a month due to the chip shortage going on.  I got mine in a little over two weeks.  Looks like since it arrived, and it freaking works, they can keep my money.

The modem comes with a SIM Card that gives you 500 MB to use at your leisure.  I'm using it as a test.

I want all of you to look at the following comparison I made.

https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=2323.msg530604#msg530604

The top one is the Muama Ryoko.  The bottom is my current plan from Comcast, (not connected via Ethernet Cable) which I pay $100 per month for.  Needless to say, I might be switching providers soon, considering the two are rather close to one another in terms of speed.  Now, the advertisement does boast far better speed.  I'll have to mess around with it to see if I can do better.  At this point, it's tempting to switch.

I will note that the main problem I had was connecting my phone to it.  Why it only worked after I scanned the QR Code is beyond me.  At least once I got it connected it worked.  I can connect to articles and YouTube with little trouble.  The fact I can watch videos on it with little trouble was a good deal.  One thing I'll note is how it changed the advertisements I get.  They were all in a foreign language.  I'm guessing it has to do with it connecting to the main server, which I found to be in Estonia of all places.

I tested my laptop with it and could connect to my favorite stuff with little trouble.  Sites tend to work quite well.  I ran into hardly any issues.  I am hesitant to go onto my main money making site with it.  I don't want to risk my account there at the moment.

I gave it a test go last night when me and my parents went out to eat.  The place we chose doesn't have wi-fi.  So, imagine me being able to connect to the internet at the restaurant thanks to this.  No real problems there whatsoever.

However, my main test will be online gaming and Netflix/Disney+, which I'll be doing soon.

At this point, if you want to get onto the internet to watch YouTube videos, you could do a lot worse. (And in some cases for a lot more.)

It has been a nice experience so far.  I really don't hate this.

Is it worth what I paid for?  We'll see soon.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Update!!

Well, guess this is an unworthy replacement for my connection.  I tested it with my XBox Series X and that thing chugged!  I guess online gaming with this thing is out of the question at this point.

I've got a few other things I want to test as a replacement for my connection.  We'll see how things go.