The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Member Awards

Petrie. · 65 · 7791

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
So are we doing these or not?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Several GOF VIPs haven't yet let us know what their stand on the idea is. I don't suppose this matter is going to be decided without their votes. Also there are still doubts not yet dispersed.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
So we stil haven't heard from a few people.. alright...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
None of my PM receipients have said anything, but have made return appearances.  Littlefoot-1616 hasn't confided that he's changed his mind either.  Give it through March and we'll have this settled and see what we're going to do from here.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
We also shouldn't expect people who feel uncertain to just "change their mind" just because other people consider it a good idea. I think I see why people are worried and in split minds about the matter. I beg everyone to write what their worries are. I admit that there are points I'm worried about myself.

For example on the one hand it would look somewhat like the "two class" society if some people get awards while others don't. On the other hand there would be nothing more pathetic than just making up awards for the sake of just giving one to everyone (it would miss the point of awards being for doing, being, saying (whatever) something special).

If we talk those points through though, I suppose that problems can be solved. So long we approach the whole thing open minded in the awareness that it will be the votes of the whole community (reasons given along with the votes working to prevent nepotism) I think it can be really I nice action. It would be an evidence of a degree of immaturity which I don't think exists in this community if personal resentments or ambitions should work to make this whole thing too much for the community to handle. On the other hand questions like "why do we need awards in the first place?" are certainly not out of place.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
To be honest Malte, I don't share your fear of this 'two class society", If I get an award, great, if not, then that's OK too. While I agree that giving an award out to everyone makes them of little meaning, We have to have enough so that while not everyone may get one, enough people will.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
On the other hand questions like "why do we need awards in the first place?" are certainly not out of place.

It's true, we don't.  The pros to having an award system include:

- Something to laugh with/at each other about

- A way to encourage new members to post and take part

- To assist new members with finding the experts on a particular topic on interest.  For example, if a new member had a question on LBT 7.  They could look up the member with the "LBT 7 expert" award (assuming we have such an award) and PM that member with their question.

- A forum novelty, to make us a little different

- A way to encourage others to be their best

- Something else for us forum members to think about: award titles

- Something else for the artists to draw (award pictures, if applicable).

----------------------------------------------------------------

Cons for the award system:

- Possibility of a two-class society, as previously mentioned.

If we give out fewer awards, the winners may be judged as know-it-alls, arrogant, or be given other negative criticism.  Now, this is a "may" situation.  Most likely, this won't be an issue.

If we give out more awards, the few people who don't get them may feel, at least on some level, left out or forgotten.

If we give Everyone an award, people may start to question why we devised such a system in the first place, and it would be difficult to come up with an award for Everyone.

- If a member overtakes another member as the best representative for an award, how would we strip the award from the first member?  Would this leave some sort of grudge feeling with that first member?  Would the second member rub it in the first one's face?  Would Both members keep the award?  Is this fair?

Certainly a lot of things to consider...

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yes!  I'm always up for these awards things.  Mind you that I was nominated for Best Romance Fic in a forum once.  Mind you though, that I lost to my rival. :(

So yes!  Let's go with this! :)

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I'm for it...I'm still a precarious about the so-called "two-class society" but I'm just highlighting the factor so it is ignored. As long as the idea is in the front of people minds and the idea remains as innocent we intended it to be. As long as that's all understood then I'm all smiles!  :D  :DD

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Now, see, Nick has the right idea--I think we're all mature and old enough to understand this isn't the end of the world if you feel you deserved something but didn't win it.  Right now, as it stands, anyone here can win any award....there is no "nomination" process.  When members place their votes, those votes will show who they feel is worthy of the award.  We shouldn't choose who people can and cannot vote for, because some might have good reasons for picking someone else; hence the reson for an explanation for your choice.

As of now, these are the only people that have not said anything to me on the issue (and really should)

WeirdRaptor
Platvoet (sorry for the spelling)
NewOrder

Intrepid probably will not be returning just based on my past talks with him, so that's one less.  Those three above I really hope have read this and are thinking it over.  My PM must've gotten through because I've seen them up and about here...just not in this topic.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've sent pms tp Platvoet and NewOrder. Hopefully they'll respond
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Why do that when I already had done that?  :huh:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There is one other suggestion I made to Roger Rabbit two days ago. How about making the whole awarding an annual business? If the awards are given out every year on one day this would give a great deal of sense to the awards. For rather than being "rewards" for deeds etc. done in the past they could also work in a way to inspire people to try to "behave" (strange term in this context) in a way that is good for the forum. Also people wouldn't have to "grudge" for the rest of their lifes for not being given any award in one year? What do you think?
As for awards to name somebody "expert of a certain LBT movie" I'm afraid that would be very difficult to do. Who would be able to measure how much somebody knows about a given LBT movie?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
^ Ah yes, all my computer trouble kind of distracted me from that.  A yearly thing is workable.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I like the annual thing Malte. so for example, if this year;'s award's is held in march, then the 2007 ceremony should also be in march. Not on the exact same date, but around a similar time (a week before, a week later etc)
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hmmm....the awards ceremony thing is an appropriate way of delivering out awards.  I do like the idea.  That way, people won't just suddenly have their awards "yoinked" away from them.

I had another thought for how to deliver some of the knowledge / skill awards, like Malte and I mentioned, the "movie expert" awards.  Do what every other institution does to give out recognition: Have quizzes and tests   :)

The main problem I see, is deciding who is in charge of actually making up the tests.  Obviously, whoever makes up the test cannot take part in it, and is therefore disqualified from the award.  But chances are, the person making up the test has considerable knowledge and could likely be the best recipient for it.  Hmm...

Each member who is interested in "applying" for an "expert" award could post in one of the forums (to be decided.  Perhaps we need a new forum for test applications and other test-related stuff, if this idea is accepted) that they wish to apply for a test.  Anyone else who wishes to try out for the same test will reply to that post saying that they are also interested.  When at least 2 applicants are involved, one of two things can happen:

1) Each applicant writes, say, 8-10 questions and answers for a Master test.  The questions are marked with the question creator's username, so questions that this member created are not counted as part of his score.  Also, each member must create questions that total the same number of "marks".  Most of us have taken enough tests to know what I mean by this, I'm sure  :p
These questions are then submitted to a member who is Not taking part in the examination.  This member will edit compile the questions into a single test document, or page.  This page is them passed to every applicant, who take the test and pass it back in to the non-participating member, who checks the answers and awards "marks".  The highest score wins the award.
Obviously, this system works best if we have more members applying for the same award.

2)Another plan, is to have a volunteer "quizmaster" write a test based on the topic.  All the applicants will try out against this test, and the highest scorer will receive the award.  The creator of the test will receive a "[insert test title here] Quizmaster award".

The best way to work this, would be to have a variety of question types: ordering, multiple choice, short answer, true/false, etc.

For handling ties, the players could post questions and answers to each other.  The questions may be monitored for integrity.  Whoever gets a question incorrect is out.  The last one standing wins the award.

The most difficult part of the test process is ensuring that the tests themselves are correct and accurate.  A quizmaster must hand back the test with the answers clearly explained, justifying why that is the correct answer.  If the answer is not justified, that question is to be omitted from the test results.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Woah, woah, woah....what's that?  :huh:  :blink:

You don't need to do all that testing stuff.  Let's just use one example here: LBT artwork.  Clearly, the ones that would get votes are the ones who have done, well, LBT artwork like the award says....there's no need to weed out those undeserving.  Those who haven't posted or showcased their stuff, isn't going to get a vote, 'nuff said.  -_-

"Expertise" in films, or on specific characters is subjective anyway, and whoever even makes this test is bound to have one opinion on who's good with such and such anyway.  I'd say just let the members choose.  If someone is truly an "expert" with anyone specific, they'll know.   If not, then maybe it's not a good category and we truly have nobody that fits the bill.

I'm just trying to keep the confusion out of it....you're making my head spin with all that test stuff which doesn't really do anything that a simple vote couldn't do.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
you're making my head spin with all that test stuff which doesn't really do anything that a simple vote couldn't do.

I think I agree with you on this; I was trying to find a way to legitimately choose an expert, based on Malte's comment:

As for awards to name somebody "expert of a certain LBT movie" I'm afraid that would be very difficult to do. Who would be able to measure how much somebody knows about a given LBT movie?

I read this and came up with the test idea.

Well, we'll figure something out

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Let the votes people are given do the talking.  ;)  People aren't going to vote for someone that obviously has no....experience with the award since their explanation would be the biggest pile of fluff I've ever read.  It'll be self explanatory--you vote for the one you think is the best for the category, and explain why you say so.