The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Google's Latest Logo

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe computers are the only ones who can understand bar code.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Has anybody seen today's Google logo? It's literally a game of Pac-Man that you can actually play. :lol  I've made it to level four, so far.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've seen it, but for me, Pac-Man is just too evil....and hard believe it or not, I can never get very far in the levels, highest I've ever been is like, level 4 or 5.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I do actually know a few tricks and I do consider myself decent at the game.  Here are the few tricks I know.

Turn when followed

If you've got those pesky ghosts right on your tail, start turning as many times as you can.  The ghosts tend to slow down when they turn while you do not.  It can really save you.

Study the movements

Each ghost has a predetermined path that they will take.  Play a few games and study them carefully so you can plan the safest possible route when you're ready to take them on for real, and in quite a few cases, avoid getting trapped.

Never pass up a multiplier chance

Whether or not you're going for a high score, it's important to get as many of them as close as possible to you before grabbing that flashing pellet.  Once you get the flashing pellet, the ghosts will go backwards of their predetermined path.  Use that to your advantage to get as many as possible before time runs out and you have to start fleeing again.  Gobbling up as many of them as possible will make it a lot safer.

Every version of Pac-man rests on these three principles.  Use them to your every advantage to conquer the game.  I have yet to do that in the original version.  Farthest I've gotten in that is Level 1F. (Level 31.  The game's levels follow the Hexadecimal format.)

As for this Google Version, they got me at Level 6. :P:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
You won't believe this people.  The Google PacMan game does NOT use Flash!!!  It's coded in HTML5!  This is a HUGE leap forward in web development.  Hopefully one day soon, we won't have to rely on proprietary plug-ins and software in order to make the web run decently. :yes

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Pac-Man is so boring. I can't stand the game. But the concept of the logo is pretty cool.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Can somebody post a screenshot of that logo before it gets taken down? It just seems too cool to be simply forgotten like many others.

- Berix

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I beat Level One :P: That's what I usually do in games. If I can beat level one, I can exit out happy.

Seriously cool idea though. Hopefully they do this for future game anniversaries, like Tetris or Pong or, heaven forbid, Doom :wow

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Chronicler,May 23 2010 on  05:55 PM
Can somebody post a screenshot of that logo before it gets taken down? It just seems too cool to be simply forgotten like many others.
I have something even better: A video!
A video! :DD

Now you can simply screenshot any part of the video that you like. XD

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Neat video, thanks for the link, it was fun to watch.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, there's plenty of YouTube videos of this thing.  Dang!  Pac-man is just SO much fun. :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I remember beating the game on an old old game thingy from the 80s.  I got by level one on the google logo and was happy with that. :D

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey guys, someone hacked it and put up what the final level looks like.

He also turned off the death function. :P:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUtM8pwL80o

Level 256. (Which goes past the Hexadecimal limit of FF. (255)) The Glitch Level, and it's unplayable. :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Interesting.  I didn't know the code could go only up to a certain level number then it would mess up.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,May 23 2010 on  03:11 PM
Interesting.  I didn't know the code could go only up to a certain level number then it would mess up.
The way it works in the Arcade Version is slightly different.  In Google's version, you can't play the Glitch Level, but in the Arcade Version, you can play it.  However, the Arcade Version's Glitch Level is unbeatable.

Here's the main deal.  In the glitched side of the level, there are 6 pellets that reappear every time you die.  Even if you get all the pellets, the level won't end until you lose all your lives.

Only a rare number of players have made it to the Glitch Level legit.  Out of those, only one has gotten the perfect score in Pac-man.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Latest one is... unusual.

I seriously don't know what to say about it except that it looks really cool! :)

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah, it kinda looks like it's made up of a bunch of dots that move all over the place when you move the mouse over it. Could someone take a screenshot of it before it's eventually taken down? (I don't know how to make screenshots)

- Berix

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Very different indeed.

I don't see google very often currently since I tend to any searches using blackle, similar to google but it's all black.