The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What are your guilty pleasures?

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
By guilty pleasures, I mean movies that you enjoy but get very negative reviews and are unpopular with most others.

I'd have to say my biggest Guilty pleasure is Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan. It's often been called the worst of one of the worst sequels by the fans, and was even on a list of Entertainment Weekly's "25 Worst Sequels Ever Made", but I love this movie.

The change of setting from Crystal Lake was much-needed by this point in the series, IMO. Even though Jason didn't actually take Manhattan until the final third of the movie, the parts on the cruise ship were entertaining enough. Also, I liked characters and felt their had personalities even though most of them die before the NYC portion of the film.

What about you guys?

crazedwriter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://crazedwriter.lbbhost.com/index.html
Surely you mean those awful B movies that never (never will!) win any prizes or even get "OK" reviews. Somehow, I have to watch those old 50's B horror or sci-fi flicks like Attack of the 50 Foot Woman or Wasp Woman.  The latter is about an old woman who discovers a fountain of youth only she has to kill someone young and drink their blood to stay young.  Watching her grow old again because the stuff didn't work anymore is worth the wait. Pretty cheesy and heavy on the melodramatics but it's a good way to pass a cold and boring Friday night. :lol:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
An unknown fantasy film titled "The Land of Faraway" which stars a 12 year old Christian Bale as the film's Samewise Gamgee and Christopher Lee as a child kidnapper who turns kids into birds if they don't serve him loyally. The film is completely uninspired, but its so much fun to see young Bale snark his way through the film when he's supposed to be the innocent one.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Actually, LBT is my only "guilty pleasure" movie series.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
my guilty pleasure has to be "The Wizard", you know that 80's film about that little kid who is extremly shy but discovers that he can really kick butt at nintendo games, I wouldn't consider it a good movie but I kinda liked it.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
"I love the Power Glove. It's so bad." -Lucas
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
More of my guilty pleasures:

Rock-A-Doodle
Return to Sleepaway Camp
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
Muppets From Space
The Wizard

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Hm.
Land Before Time (an obvious one)
The Animals of Farthing Wood S3

I really can't think of any others

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
The Evil Dead series (Groovy...)
Bubba Hu-Tep
My Name is Bruce
Cold Shadow (a video game, but still a guilty pleasure)
Radical Rex (same as Cold Shadow)
Van Helsing (that film was no where near as bad as people made it out to be)
A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (same as Van Helsing)
Transformers 2 (evidently)
The Village, Lady in the Water, and The Happening (again, evidently)
Mortal Kombat: The Movie
Scooby Doo: Monsters Unleashed

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Alvin and the Chipmunks 1 & 2
Transformers 2 (I am a fan of the original series, and I loved this movie)
Van Helsing
Scooby Doo 1 (can't remember the proper name of it though)

At least anyway, there are probabally more, I just can't think of them at the moment XD

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Jan 1 2010 on  06:14 AM
Van Helsing (that film was no where near as bad as people made it out to be)

Van Helsing got negative reviews? I'm surprised. I never saw the movie from start to finish, but from what I saw, it looked like a good movie; I particularly liked the unique take on the Frankenstein monster.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Poltergeist III
All Dogs go to Heaven 2, as well as the series and the Christmas Carol

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Even more of mine:

Final Destination 4
the fact I'm a Dane Cook fan
Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Zombie Ninja Pro-Am (A PS2) game

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Oh, people absolutely loathed Van Helsing. It's easier to count it's fans than people who dislike it. I don't why people were so up in arms over a crossover film, are those ever truly good films?

For a perfect example, go to it's IMDb Message Board.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child
Child's Play 3
Seed of Chucky
Cats Don't Dance (Though it was mostly popular, it wasn't that succesful.)

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Troll 2(This movie was just so much fun! It was terrible, had a ridiculous premise, very bizzare actions from the characters, REALLY REALLY cheaply made masks that looked like they were bought at a thrift store but God help me if this movie wasn't fun. As far as bad movies go, it's on my list for most favorite bad films)

Those straight-to-DVD horror movies(I don't know why I like these so much. I think somehow, the fact that these movies are so low budget makes them look scarier than they should. There has never been a big budget horror that has really scared me yet somehow these can do the trick. I don't know how that works.)

Apparently Where the Wild Things Are is a guilty pleasure according to IMDB. I don't get why this movie is so ruthlessly bashed. Because it's an art flick? Because there's nothing exploding or characters making poo jokes? I don't know. I do know though that I liked the movie. It was sweet, it was dark, and it reminded me alot about how I was as a kid. Because I WAS a lot like Max as a kid. Hardly any friends until fifth grade, really imaginative, had a bad temper and am still pretty sensitive. But now I've changed and have a lot of friends.

Ichigo Mashimaro(Strawberry Marshmallow in English) The premise of the story is just these little girls hanging out, doing weird stuff, being crazy, etc. Now a guy my age would probably get weird looks for reading a story about 11 year old girls but it's just such a fun read. It's genuinely funny which is a surprise since most manga aren't, the characters are very likeable(my favorite being Chika since she's basically a little girl version of me  :lol  ), and the art's really cute.

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I love All Dogs Go To Heaven 2.

And Beverly Hills Chihuahua

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
Super Mario Bros. (1993) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108255/
This movie mostly got negative critiques... I can't understand that. I love this movie (and I'm a big Super Mario fan) and especially the music, atmosphere and characters.

Mysterious Planet (by Brett Piper) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272202/
Better than Avatar, better than Star Wars... "The Mysterious Planet" is one of the best science-fiction movies out there. Brett Piper only had a budget of 5000$ and created an atmospheric and great movie with monsters, planets and space shuttles. This movie is WAY too unknown.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
And even though it got great reviews from critic, when it comes to Final Fantasy fans, 8 isn't the best received, but it's one of my favorites personally. Maybe my 2nd favorite behind 7.