The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A Christmas Carol

thebigdeal

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://youtube.com/BigDealStudios
some parts scared the human piss out of me...

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Do you mean the new one, with Jim Carrey as Scrouge?
I want to see that one too!  :)
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I definitely can't wait to see this one :D.  Jim Carrey is awesome and hilarious :lol!

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
You know, not to get to picky, bossy, or any of the like, tbd, but you might want to add some more details about your topics before you post them. Just a suggestion, it's just a better way for everyone to have a discussion.

(I'm taking after Malte now! :lol)

Eerrrr anyhow...

Yeah, I DEFINITELY want to see this! Jim Carrey as Scrouge just has to be epic! :D

thebigdeal

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Rat_lady7,Nov 7 2009 on  09:17 PM
You know, not to get to picky, bossy, or any of the like, tbd, but you might want to add some more details about your topics before you post them. Just a suggestion, it's just a better way for everyone to have a discussion.

(I'm taking after Malte now! :lol)

Eerrrr anyhow...

Yeah, I DEFINITELY want to see this! Jim Carrey as Scrouge just has to be epic! :D
cover your ears at the doorknob part and the ghost of christmas yet to come part :)

By the way, you make a great Malte  :lol

oh and however, there wasn't that much comedy in it for a Jim Carrey film...

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, "A Christmas Carol" is a pretty dark story ;).

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
^ I got a Padawan :lol
It sure is a movie I would like to see. I once saw an older movie version of it. Sensitive me just loves the scenes when scrooge turns human and generous in the end.

LBTFan

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Looks like a really interesting movie. I definitely want to see this Movie.

thebigdeal

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Nov 8 2009 on  01:31 AM
^ I got a Padawan :lol
It sure is a movie I would like to see. I once saw an older movie version of it. Sensitive me just loves the scenes when scrooge turns human and generous in the end.
are you sure you want to see this? I'm sensitive too and some parts scared the hell out of me...

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I know the ghost of the future christmas in particular was quite creepy in the movie I had seen before, but I reckon I can handle that :p

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well I just got back from seeing this movie, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. This movie is easily one of if not the best Christmas Carol ever, which is no surprise because Disney is behind it.

There really is no comedy in the movie, despite Jim Carrey's role. This movie is probably the closest to the book out of all of them, which is good because the story is very dark. Jim Carrey is excellent as Scrooge as he portrayed the old humbug very well. The other voice overs were well picked also.

This movie is not required to be seen in 3D, but you can tell which parts were made for 3D. The animation is excellent and it is a welcome treat to hear traditional Christmas carols throughout the movie. The pacing is superb, it's not too fast and not too slow.

The one factor that really brought the magic out of this movie were the ghosts. All of the ghosts were portrayed very well, and minus Christmas Past, all of the ghosts were creepy! Jacob Marley gives a new sense of dread and despair, Christmas Present shows a truly dark side underneath his jolly laughter, and Christmas Future is by far one of the scariest ghosts I have ever seen in a movie. The last half hour of the movie which includes the end of Christmas Present, a.k.a. the two decrepit children, and all of Christmas Future, are some of the darkest scenes in Disney movie history. In short, these are the best ghosts out of all the Christmas Carol incarnations.

Overall, this movie is outstanding. It displays the truly grim and depressing tone of Scrooge's life very well while still keeping a light hearted feel in the end. I highly recommend seeing this movie.

thebigdeal

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTFan13,Dec 2 2009 on  08:56 PM
Well I just got back from seeing this movie, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. This movie is easily one of if not the best Christmas Carol ever, which is no surprise because Disney is behind it.

There really is no comedy in the movie, despite Jim Carrey's role. This movie is probably the closest to the book out of all of them, which is good because the story is very dark. Jim Carrey is excellent as Scrooge as he portrayed the old humbug very well. The other voice overs were well picked also.

This movie is not required to be seen in 3D, but you can tell which parts were made for 3D. The animation is excellent and it is a welcome treat to hear traditional Christmas carols throughout the movie. The pacing is superb, it's not too fast and not too slow.

The one factor that really brought the magic out of this movie were the ghosts. All of the ghosts were portrayed very well, and minus Christmas Past, all of the ghosts were creepy! Jacob Marley gives a new sense of dread and despair, Christmas Present shows a truly dark side underneath his jolly laughter, and Christmas Future is by far one of the scariest ghosts I have ever seen in a movie. The last half hour of the movie which includes the end of Christmas Present, a.k.a. the two decrepit children, and all of Christmas Future, are some of the darkest scenes in Disney movie history. In short, these are the best ghosts out of all the Christmas Carol incarnations.

Overall, this movie is outstanding. It displays the truly grim and depressing tone of Scrooge's life very well while still keeping a light hearted feel in the end. I highly recommend seeing this movie.
I thought it had more jump-out-of-your-seat moments then Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen....
ATTENTION- from this post on this topic contains Spoilers

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Walking into the theater for thise one, I admit I had no idea what to expect from it. I have to say, I'm glad I saw it. I was expecting Carrey to ruin a classic story with his very presence, just to be impressed at how well he behaved himself and just stuck with what was appropriate.

I also agree. The film was great as it did not sugar coat anything for the kiddies (learn this lesson well, Hollywood) and stayed true to the book in ways I didn't think it would, to be honest.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Will A Christmas Carol make it to the Oscars for best animated feature?

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I think it should. A lot of thought and effort was put into this movie and it deserves something.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I don't really have much desire to see this movie. There's been so many incarnations of this story, what could be different about this one?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
What could possibly be any different about any film other since nothing under the sun is new and everything else has already been told at a million times? That's a really nasty attitude to sport just because its a popular tale that's been adapted before.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
there are numerous versions of this story, and it is truly a timeless story I'll probably see it
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Each version of the story brings something new to it. Like I said before, this is probably the closest to the book in terms of how dark it is, where as all the other versions are not as grim as this one. You can really tell Disney is trying to going back to the really darker movies like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Dec 3 2009 on  11:39 PM
What could possibly be any different about any film other since nothing under the sun is new and everything else has already been told at a million times? That's a really nasty attitude to sport just because its a popular tale that's been adapted before.
How was my attitude nasty? I was simply stating my opinion. I'm just not interested in seeing this film because I heard the same story so many times that I lost interest in it in general years ago. I wasn't ditching the movie. I didn't say it sucked or anything nasty like that.