The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Golden Globes 2010

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Tonight was the night of the 2010 Golden Globes. Here are the nominees and the winners http://www.goldenglobes.org/nominations/

Now as much as I liked Avatar, I don't think it deserved to win Best Picture. And this is coming from a James Cameron fan. It was a good movie, sure, but there were better films released in '09.

And I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting real tired of Pixar winning Best Animated Feature every single year. It's not even a category anymore(if it ever was), it's just these critics kissing Pixar's ass every year. We had some really great animated movies last year, two of which also brought back the style of traditional animation ala Princess and the Frog and Ponyo, both of which I thought were far superior to Up. Now I don't think Up is a bad movie. Actually I really enjoyed it and even loved it. I just think a different animated movie should have won this year.

My last problem with the Golden Globes is the Best Original Score. I'm sorry, but aside from Up and Where the Wild Things Are, the scores were just really generic. Up had a nice score but IMO, Where the Wild Things Are should have won in this department. "All is Love", while the singing wasn't the best it was  still a cute, haunting, memorable, and charming song. Up's was...It was good but not exactly as memorable as All is Love. But then again, these are just my opinions. What are yours?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
avatar is on pace to be the highest grossing film ever, it might be the first film to top 2 bilion worldwide. now is it an all-time great film, like say the LOTR trilogy. No, but neither was Titanic when it recieved 14 Oscar noms and won 11.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ugh!  Not surprised with Pixar winning one.  Up was a good movie, but not the best one for Best Animated Feature.  With how many times it's won that award, I'm almost thinking that it's rigged or something.

Who here thinks Pixar is bribing that award?

It's either that or critics are too engrossed with Pixar-style graphics nowadays.

Both of which would just be sad. :(

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't think Avatar's bad at all. I'm glad it's made so much and sort of hope that it eventually makes more than Titanic. Worldwide it's already the second highest grossing movie of all time whereas in the US, it's currently at number 3, having just surpassed Star Wars.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the movie but I didn't think it was THAT good. Maybe if I see it again, I'll like it more.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Jan 18 2010 on  01:35 AM
Ugh!  Not surprised with Pixar winning one.  Up was a good movie, but not the best one for Best Animated Feature.  With how many times it's won that award, I'm almost thinking that it's rigged or something.

Who here thinks Pixar is bribing that award?

It's either that or critics are too engrossed with Pixar-style graphics nowadays.

Both of which would just be sad. :(
More liked biasedness. This is a good example of why award shows like this and the Oscars should not be taken seriously. Also, comedies and musicals in the same category together? What? Not. Even. Remotely. Similiar.

But yes, as nice as Pixar's stuff is, I still like hand drawn animation better. There's more freedom, more capabilities with hand drawn styles than say a CGI style.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Best Animated Feature? Don't you mean Best Pixar Feature?  :p

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
As much as I loved Avatar, and am happy that James Cameron succeeded in returning to Hollywood after a break, The Hurt Locker is a far superior movie and deserved to win best picture. Now granted Hurt Locker did win best picture in the Critics Choice Awards, but that's just my opinion.

Pixar does seem to win every single time for the Golden Globes. But then again, are the other movies really good enough to win? Cloudy W/Meatballs really didn't look that good to me, and Princess and the Frog hasn't been out long enough to make an impression yet. Not sure about the other two.