The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Your perfect computer game...

Ratiasu · 20 · 2844

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
My perfect computer game would be something like this:

NAME:
World Without Man

FEATURES:
- It would be set in a world without man. You could play as a griffin, phoenix, or dragon.

- Optional storyline for each species.

- No magic. That makes things way too easy.

- Random things happen [unicorns found with hostage dragon hatchlings (free the dragons or kill the unicorns? Time for only one), phoenix carcass struck by lightning found with necklace (ignore it? Eat the body? Take the necklace? Take the necklace and ask others about it?), etc.], you won't notice the difference until a few hours later.

- Character stats would be composed of the following: Speed (how fast you fly in the air/run on the ground), Strength (in terms of physical battles), Voice (how loud you can scream --- useful for deterring attackers and getting help), Communication (how persuasive you are/how well you understand other species --- there would be a Communication stat for each species), Breath Power (strength of breath, dragon-only), Breath Capacity (how long the breath can go, dragon-only), Regeneration (how fast you heal). Hit Points would stay the same, no matter how long you played.

- The stats would rise depending on what you did (if you flew around more, your Strength stat would increase, if you ran more, your Speed would increase, if you talked to others more, your Communications stat would increase, etc.). Say, an hour in game doing one thing, or one thing over a period of 'chopped-up' time, means +1 of that stat.

- Along the same lines of the Communication stat, you wouldn't be able to understand the other species at all at the beginning of the game. There would be language barriers between all of them.

- There would be customizable characters. You could lengthen the snout, make the wings smaller and sleeker like a falcon or broader like an eagle's, enlarge the tail, add spikes, manually color it or not, add frills and feathers and streamers and markings, etc.....I actually went on ahead to list the moddable options, set characters (drew one of them too), and what you could do in the character creation, but I probably won't post more info unless people ask. This idea is really just to keep me busy.

- None of the species would talk in English, or any other language. They would hiss and shriek and roar. Translation would appear at the top of the screen.

- The game would put emphasis on making the random-generated members of your species seem alive. They would each have a simple past [____ attacked 'character' and lost, ____ mated with character, etc.], a pre-set motive, randomly generated stats, and a general personality (set by reactions in an editor: [character name]'s daily relationship with [character 2], much like in SimPE for The Sims 2. There might be a point system for things like Temper [aggressive, passive, or inbetween?], Willpower [low self-esteem or high?], or Outgoing [talk a lot? Talk a little?], and those would affect how they responded to a question or something).

- I don't know if this would be possible, but perhaps procedurally generated animations? There would be limits as to the range of motions each part (wings, legs, head, etc.) could do, of course.

- When fighting, there would be targeted body parts that the computer A.I. would try to get at most (such as throat, belly, etc.).

- There would be different territories - though not strict - for each species. They would be something quite a bit like http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1220/worldmappsicl3.png, possibly with a few little islands around the continent.

- Night/day/dusk/dawn. Seasons. The game would start in winter (if not seasons, some of the lands would be in perpetual winter/spring/summer/fall).

- Hunger/Thirst/Energy/Social (depletes depending on how social your character is over a daily basis)/Entertainment needs. Fighting drive replaces Social in spring.
-------

What do you think of my idea? What would your perfect, dream computer/console/other game be like?

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Unfortunatly I already have one: It's called HALO!

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Unfortunatly I already have one: It's called HALO!
:lol I bet its gonna be pretty chaotic on sept 25th when Halo 3 comes out. I'm not a huge fan of halo, and my brother is gonna get it for his Xbox 360 so i will get to enjoy it as well. As for me though, i'm more of a nintendo person and love their first party games like Metroid, Mario, and Zelda. My perfect game and probably every other nintendo fans perfect game would be super smash bros melee (brawl will replace it on Dec 3). All your favorite nintendo characters battling it out, whats not to love? I also like how they're adding 3rd party characters like Snake from Metal Gear Solid series and i wouldn't be surprised if they put sonic in it as well.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Long live the SNES!
Technically thats not a game. A lot of great games were on the SNES, like Super Metroid, Zelda:Link to the past to name a couple, if thats what you mean.

Littlefoot

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://Closed!
The perfect computer game for me will be this one.

It’s called Crysis. Crysis is a Crytek's next-gen PC FPS game very realistic, a lot of details soft shadows very complicated engine. The game requires a next-gen computer dual core processor 2gb of ram Windows Vista and a Direct X10 Video card compatible preferably a Geforce 8800 or a next-gen ATI cards.

The game is looking good so far and I am sure this will be one of the bests game ever for PC and also they are working in a version for the Xbox 360.

Look the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6-e1Ze_ATg

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
What do you think of my idea?
It looks like you thought about this for quite a long time and the overall idea is pretty interesting. You could add more racial abilities for each of the species to make the choices more varied. You already mention the dragon with its breath, it might also have higher defence but be considerably slower then the griffon or phoenix. The phoenix might have the highest speed and increased regeneration and the griffon would have better voice and communication stats. Thats an example of what the difference might be like between the species. And maybe with the inclusion of a honorable/selfish reputation depending on the choices made, some characters in the game might fight along side you depending on whether the character is also honroable or selfish. Just as a thought. Finally if the game had a good plot, i think it could be a very cool game.

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thank you for your input, Flathead. I posted my idea on another forum and someone actually offered to make the models for me. He recruited three of his friends, and they're all really excited about the idea. We've been working on it for about a week, me supplying the sketches and some of the sounds, they making the engine, the models, stuff like that.

Strangely enough I haven't thought of that. I'll be sure to run your ideas by them. An honorable/selfish reputation, much less a reputation at all, would be really difficult to code out, but that's a great idea. As for plot, at first there wouldn't be one. I've started sorting out a few situations which would lead up to a sort of plot (or it would give them a goal, at least), but I've only got a couple situations figured out.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
An honorable/selfish reputation, much less a reputation at all, would be really difficult to code out, but that's a great idea.
When you mentioned the different choices, it reminded me of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic with the choices making you character light or dark, so i admit that the idea wan't totally mine.

I posted my idea on another forum and someone actually offered to make the models for me. He recruited three of his friends, and they're all really excited about the idea. We've been working on it for about a week, me supplying the sketches and some of the sounds, they making the engine, the models, stuff like that.
Thats great! I hope your project is successful.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Aug 9 2007 on  11:59 AM
Is this an RTS game? A MMORPG?
If you mean my game, it's not a MMORPG. I don't know how to classify it yet. I guess it's a bit of a role-playing/adventure game. It could fall into a lot of different categories.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Ah I see. So it's probably going to be the first of its kind?

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Aug 9 2007 on  12:33 PM
Ah I see. So it's probably going to be the first of its kind?
It'll certainly be the first game where you can play as a griffin or phoenix. Probably not the first of its kind, though - all games can be classified as something, or many things.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Great Valley Guardian,Aug 9 2007 on  01:54 PM
I look forward to this game......  :D
I can keep you updated on our progress if you want. A few of the people I'm working with are back in school now, though, so I'd imagine that time to work on things will be cut down a lot.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I can keep you updated on our progress if you want.

That would be nice... :)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Great Valley Guardian,Aug 9 2007 on  01:54 PM
I look forward to this game......  :D
As do I. Like I mentioned before, it could be a very cool game and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
and a Direct X10 Video card compatible preferably a Geforce 8800 or a next-gen ATI cards.
Bah, even my brand new computer doesn't have a Dx10 video card! :p  They basically start at $400 right now (for a 320 MB version of the GeForce 8800).  I won't be touching DirectX 10 cards until they're actually reasonably-priced. B)

I must say though, this game looks very pretty. :yes