The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Free-Form Fantasy

Noname · 944 · 39227

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Canas stepped out of an alley near the other two Dracons.
"Excuse me for interrupting, but...perhaps I could be of assistance, as well.  I am Canas, a scholar of the ancient arts.  I'd be interested in helping you, if...that's at all possible."
He said, inclining his head politely...

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
"Sure, you can join us" Ophion said to Canas. "We are trying to gather information about a mage who recently attacked that inn over there. Do you know of anyone who might have done it?"

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
"Very well, i shall help you find this mage. My magic is limited but it might help." Shal'thzar said. All this talk about searching for a mage who could possably be a threat piqued her interest, so she was willing to help Ophion search for the mage. Who knows? There might even be a reward for finding and capturing the mage.

Shal'thzar then heard the sound of another Dracon called Canas stepping out of a nearby ally to offer assistance. "Greetings, Canas." Shal'thzar said with a polite bow. She then heard Ophion asking if Canas knew anything about the mage who had attacked the inn and added in: "Anything at all?"

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Canas shook his head.
"All I do know, is that he cast a high level fire spell.  My shadow shields could barely stop it.  He was a dracon, too, but you already knew that.  The only other thing that may help, is that I managed to hear his voice.  I may be able to pick him out by that..."
He sighed...

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Meanwhile...

Aurescia was indeed drinking her tea and reading her book, as her youngest son knew she was doing. She was a sorceress as well, and was sensitive to the presence of magic. She knew that Kos was reading those magical scrolls again... but she let it slide. If anything, she encouraged his learning about such things, as that knowledge might one day make him a great success. And the sooner he started learning about it, the better.

She finished her tea and stretched her legs and feet. It was getting late... where was her husband? He had gone out a while ago to investigate an explosion... if he wasn't back soon, Aurescia would have to cast a spell to find out where he was. She went over to her room and brought a container of a clear liquid... some water modified by some potions... she poured it into her bowl made of enchanted wood... her scrying bowl. While she could use scrying magic to find out where someone was using simple water in any container, using magical components made casting the spell far more easier and much more effective.

But, like all spells, this would take up some power and effort, and she was already feeling tired... regardless, this was important, she she stirred the liquid with her clawed finger and looked into it, silently casting her spell... which revealed her husband and two other Dracons in an image in the water... and the burned out wreckage of a nearby inn. At least he was okay... not hurt or anything. Satisfied with this, Aurescia turned the spell off with a wave of her hand. She knew that her husband was looking for someone... she could her the conversation and it would take a spell more powerful than scrying to find him...

Putting the bowl down, she went downstairs to a very special room. Closing the wooden door behind her, the room of communion was a special place. Aurescia's greatest talent was her astral magic; the power of pure arcana derived from the astral plane. Here, she could meditate, and sense thoughts, feelings, powers, and detect almost anyone and anything that wasn't magically blocked off in the entire city, going as far out as a 100 kilometer radius from her position.

Crossing her legs, the sorceress sat in the center of the room, over a blue circle that was painted on the floor. The walls, floor, and ceiling were all painted a very light blue, and there were magic Draconic symbols etched into the wall to aid with spellcasting. Aurescia closed her eyes and began to float about a third of a meter above the floor, legs still crossed, deep in meditation. She had undone her loincloth, which now rested on the floor. From here, her consciousness expanded, as if she were floating above the city, and, although unable to see anything with her eyes shut, she was able to sense the minds and souls of every living thing in the city of Minthebec.

While she could not read their mind in a direct sense, Aurescia was able to tell if an individual was happy, sad, angry, excited, bored, disgusted, or any other strong feeling. She could also feel the humming of magic emanating from various parts of the city... it was strongest at the city's magical towers, academies, palaces, magical markets, and temples, especially the great temple. After a little while, her focus shifted to specific mages. She could obvious feel the energy signatures of her youngest son and husband, but in a little while, she could feel the energy of other mages... including the ones near her husband, and some others.

After more focusing, Aurescia could feel the magic of one who had recently departed
from a location... and in a few minutes, she could feel the energy of the mage who had recently blasted the inn... a few minutes later, she could feel that same energy again in a different part of the city... Aurescia knew where the mage had run off to... she could feel it. The energy signatures were a perfect match.

Opening her eyes, Aurescia wrote down where she had felt that energy; she had some parchment and a pen placed in the room for such a purpose. She then went back into her trance and used the spell to mentally contact her husband, and tell him what she had learned.

Ophion was used to his wife communicating with him using this spell... he was used to the sensation of her mind "pressing" against his as she contacted him. Her "voice" made no sound in his head, but he could tell that these were her thoughts being directed to him. "Ophie-" she called him, as a pet name... "-I have found the mage you seek." Typical. She had scried on him, learned what he was searching for, found it, and contacted him, all without leaving their home. "I'll show you the energy signature" And as soon as she had "said" that to him, the energy signature she had felt was now known to him as well... it was unmistakable. Now, there were ways to disguise it, but there was no reason to believe that this mage had that level of power or knowledge to do that... mages who had that sort of ability didn't just blast holes in buildings with crude spells...

Within a moment, Ophion knew where his wife had felt the energy... both the traces of it a the inn, and elsewhere, in a tower in the city... she had no further details... as the tower was warded against scrying (a typical precaution), but not warded against energy signature detection (a much less typcial precaution) "Thank you, my love" Ophion thought back "You have done much to help me. I'll see you as soon as I can, but for now, you should get some rest." He knew that scrying, communing, and contacting him was a very strainful process, and having to detect a single energy signature in a city of so many people was even harder.

Aurescia broke contact with her husband, and climbed up the stairs to her room, where she quickly fell on the bed and was fast asleep. She really was exhausted by the effort.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
The traveler made his way to the temple that he was directed to.  This one had spires almost tall enough to pierce the skies.  Such towers are second only to those owned by the fabulously wealthy, but this one will do just fine.  Upon entering, he calmly explained himself to the welcoming priest, gave a generous donation, and was led to a stairway leading up one of the towers.  When the priest walked away, the traveler contemplated for a while before ascending the winding stairs...

(OOC:  I may bring in another character into the mix, if that's OK with you guys.)

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
"Well, paladins serve the temples. We perform various tasks. I'm a new paladin, but I was told that my job was to, and I quote, 'Ward off evil encroaching upon our city.' " Valeron told Harley. "By the way, what is your name? I'm Valeron, son of Orithos."

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
(OOC: Sure, you can bring in another character... as many as you think you can handle)

Kos left his room to go downstairs. He was lucky that his house had running water, a real luxury in these parts...

After doing his business, he noticed that his mother's tea cup was left on the table... she never left it lying there unless she was too tired to put it back, which sometimes happened when she cast some spells... especially if she tried to cast too many of them or she tried to cast one that was too much for her.

Running upstairs, the young Dracon headed towards his parent's room and listened. He heard the faint sounds of breathing. Daring the crack the door open just a bit, he stuck his snout in and smelled the air... it was his mother in there alright, and a quick look confirmed it. Backing off from the room, Kos realized that both of his parents were either out or asleep... only his siblings were still in the house, and neither of them were aware of his punishment...

However, his older sister Schakria, (or Kria, for short) was awake... and just happened to be walking down the halls. The two of them didn't get along so well. When Kria hatched, her parents thought that she had dormant magical powers, but later testing proved this not to be the case. When Kos was born, he indeed had the powers that Kria was told she had for years, but ended up not having at all. It also didn't help that she was the youngest of their surviving children until Kos was born... now he was the youngest...

Kria looked like a younger, smaller version of her mother, save for her green eyes. She a green loincloth at home, and had a matching top for going outside with. She also had the same clothes in blue and red... all made of silk, as she liked to brag... it was no coincidence that her name was derived from "Schakri"... which meant "Noble" in Draconic. Now that the life of a sorceress was denied her, she was being taught gymnastics and dancing. While she was good at them, being a mage was what she really wanted...

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Shal'thzar turned her head in the direction where the Inn was and heard that the bartender and waitress were still inside. Being blind ever since she was a hatchling she was used to letting her hearing do most of the work. Infact if it weren't for her eyes one would probably not know she was blind, as she can sense the vibrations her feet make while walking and thanks to the vibrations, can sense nearby objects.

Shal'thzar then looked back at Ophion and Canas and said: "What about those at the inn? Do you think they might know something?"

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"My wife has sent me the information we need" Ophion said. "She contacted me using a spell... she's very good with that" he added with a grin. "We need to go to a certain mage's tower on the other side of the city, near the eastern wall. I'll be sure to inform the city guard of the situation. I'm a trusted name in this city. And if you don't mind my asking... do you feel the vibrations around you to navigate? That is a rare skill, used mostly by blinded females. Males generally use hearing and smell to navigate when blinded... At least that is what a mage, lady Minna, told me."

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ilsa waited impatiently as her caravan approached the city. ' she was beig sent by her father to Mithelbec, to meet a daughter of a friendly noble. "Minna.. the girl's name is.. hmm.. Shes a sorceress like me.." Ilsa thought herself as she reached the gates of the city..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"Kos! What are you doing?" Kria snapped at her younger brother.

"Oh, Kria! I was just on my way out..." Kosjurec replied.

"Out at this hour? It's getting dark. The streets are no place for a six-year old to be wandering around."

"I'm almost as tall as mom is!" Kos replied. "How would anyone know my age anyway?"

"Not that it matters that they know how old you are... but you are looking kinda... exposed to be a seven year old. :lol"

Dracons grew very quickly, and stayed young for a long time. Mental and physical development were rapid until age seven, when it slowed down considerably in order to enable more internal growth. Kos was wearing a single white piece of cloth, covering only the 'personal area'... and even this had to have a hole in it for his tail.

"I'm sure that neither mom nor dad would like you to be out at this time. If you DO go... I'm telling them." Kria said.

"Fine... I'll go to my room now..." Kos said, slightly mad. He was similar to a twelve-year old human in size and in many mental and physical capacities, but he was still quite young... and he would not be like a teenager in human terms until he was at least ten... Dracon growth patterns did not conform so neatly with human standards...

Kos left, heading back upstairs to his room... Kria returned to her own room, having been tired out by a long day of gymnastics practice. Like Kos, she too kept a secret... when she was sure that she was alone, she pulled a book out from underneath her bed. She then lit some candles and a bit of incense, and closed the shades. Sitting cross-legged in the darkness, Kria opened the book, which was titled
"Codex Daemoniorum." Given to her by... "a friend." She read a passage from it...

"Malthus, forty-third in rank of the 69 major demon lords of the infernal planes, commands 26 legions of demons. Frequently depicted in the shape of a large raven, he is well known for his building of towers and filling them with weapons... an armorer of a sort..."

This was the sort of material that one could get into SERIOUS trouble with... The Dracons worshiped many gods, and revered Dragons highly... but outright Demon worship was rare... and for good reason! Demonology brought nothing except false promises, false works, shattered cities, and lost souls. Demonic cults were more common in some cities than in others, but very few cities, and none of the major ones, tolerated this sort of worship.

Kria wanted power... her younger brother had it naturally, and her older brother had learned it and worked hard for it. If she couldn't get it by nature or by work... she would make a deal with one who could give her what she desired...

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Shal'thzar now had a surprised expression on her face. She was going to ask him how he knew that but decided against it. "Indeed, i do use vibrations to navigate. I can also hear things like those at the Inn. But enough about me, what of this mage on the other side of town?"

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"My wife determined his location using her most powerful magics" Ophion replied. "I should be able to take us there with ease... once we inform the city guards of this. What she did was to detect traces of his power here, and find the same power readings in another part of the city. We should be able to get there with little difficulty. Just don't expect my wife to help us any more for now; this sort of thing tires her greatly."

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
"I used to be called Captain Wolfe, but now that that life is behind me you may call me Harly," Harly said as he extended a hand.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Meanwhile...

Kria finished her book, and put it down. She still couldn't believe she was going through with this... the others... she couldn't disappoint them. She had talked with them for months about this... and her parents didn't know... they wouldn't understand... they couldn't. Her whole family had magic... her father was a wizard, her mother and younger brother were sorcerors, and her older brother was also a wizard... and an alchemist to boot! Why should she be left out...?

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(soz i havn't posted in so long!!!)

Jake woke from the noise downstairs at the inn and he sat upright.
"what on earth was that?!" Jake said. Jake lifted his legs over the side of the bed and he stood up straight. and he put his shirt on and he proceeded out of his room, down the corridor and he then walked downstairs to find that it was in a mess.

"what happened here?" asked Jake "never mind.....i can't understand you animals anyway..."
facebook.com/venomwargreymon

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"Animals? What are you talking about?" Ophion said, somewhat offended at the comment. "A rogue mage blasted a hole in the wall of this inn, THAT'S what happened, human."

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
"sorry...but i cannot understand what your saying scaly" said Jake not realizing that was extremely offensive
facebook.com/venomwargreymon

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ophion was getting annoyed at him. "Look, you pink ape-thing, why don't you just run up in a tree and eat some bananas? I've got more important things to do that to trade insults..."