The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Watership Down

Raptor · 279 · 21434

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
"Homba?!" Whimpered Walnut.

"Calm down, Walnut." Thistle said. He didn't need to rabbits tharn. He had no idea how to deal with this situation. Mayberry was clearly very upset, but Thistle had never had to deal with any rabbit in this stage of saddness. He sat back, truely confused.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Mayberry after another few moments of crying and sobbing into the grass looked up at Thistle with eyes that weren't just full of fear, but hopelessness as she asked, "p-please....don't make me...c-cross the river...I can't...I w-won't...."

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"But we must cross it, Mayberry." Thyme stated "And if you can not go with us, we might have to leave you behind." he said, trying not to sound harsh or cold.

"I will scout ahead. Maybe I will discover some way across the river." Basil said to Thistle, before he hopped away. The hare was eager to do something more than sitting. Since he didn't know how to stop Mayberry's sob, going for the recon was the only sensible thing he could do now.

In meantime, Neltita was trying to reassure other doe:

"Listen, Mayberry. I know that you are afraid of river and what it might remind you, but I can promise you: nobody will be harmed while crossing it."
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Thistle realized that, despite most of the rabbits' willingness to accept him as chief, he wasn't much of a use here. If he was to be chief, he should risks before the others have to.

"I'm going with Basil. Soapwort, you stand watch. I want to judge this water myself, before anyone else has to face it." With that, Thistle followed the path that Basil had taken.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Mayberry continued to cry, but she looked over at Neltita and asked, "B-but...how do you know...h-how? Anything...can happen...and then...we...might...l-lose something...we...love..."

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Thistle continued after Basil, through a small thicket. The thicket suddenly gave way.

And Thistle froze.

Before him, there was a vast expanse of water, running far faster then he had ever seen. It was, indeed, more water then he had ever seen in his entire life.

For a long time, Thistle was quiet, sitting back on his hind legs and staring at the quickly moving water.

"I... I never suspected this...." He muttered, awestruck. As reality came flooding back, he realized the gravity of the situation.

'How in Frith's name are we going to cross this?' He thought, going back on all fours and hopping closer to the river's edge.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Mayberry looked up once more into Neltita's eyes and could see the determination that shined through like Frith in the clouds, and for a short moment Mayberry felt inspired as she finally rose to feet shaking her head to clear the tears.
"A-alright...I'll c-cross the river with you...and...thank you for not leaving me behind"

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Thistle hopped further down the river, trying to see if there was any possible way to cross it. Seeing none, he sat back, and looked around. He hadn't seen Basil yet. He figured, if anyone knew how to cross this, it would be him.

"Basil?" He called. "Basil?"

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Basil could not hear Thistle call, as he was running up the river. 'We have to find some way across, we have to!' he thought. After awhile he reached the place where the river was bending slightly. Then he saw it. A bridge. A stone bridge. This was their way to cross this river. Hare turned around and started going back to others. At this moment he was self-satisfied at his discovery.
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Thistle was becoming worried. Basil didn't appear to be anywhere nearby.

Suddenly, he saw the hare dashing past.

'He must have found a way across.' Thought Thistle, and he ran to follow the Hare back.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Mayberry was now taking the time to Silflay as she waited for Thistle and Basil to return. She still wasn't completely sure this was a good idea, but she trusted the others enough to try and cross the river...if they could.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Basil stopped running as soons as he reached the rabbit's group. He waited a few seconds, so Thistle could catch up with them and then hare shared good news with others:

"I found the bridge. Now we can cross this river without a problem." he said a bit proud of himself, but almost immediately he noticed that amongst some rabbits his words triggered very confused looks.

"Er... What is a 'bridge'?" Thyme addressed a question, which in turn surprised Basil, who could not believe that someone didn't know what a bridge is. He glanced at Neltita, but he only recieved 'I dont know what that means too' look.

"Bridge is the stone trail, that man makes to cross the water." he said simply, but he felt that this might not be enough to explain the concept of bridge. 'Rabbits! They know nothing about anything that lies farther than a few hops from their warren.' hare thought with amusement.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Mayberry looked up for a moment and almost immediately her face brightened as she heard the news. "A bridge?! Basil you truly are a messenger from Frith! He's sent you to guide us....and I thank you for your help." she said aloud with a grin of pride on her face.

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
"Well... whatever a 'bridge' is," Said Thistle, still not entirly sure what Basil meant. "It's going to help us get across. Basil said men made it, so we probably shouldn't spend too much time... Basil? How exactly do we cross it?"

Before the Hare could answer, Thistle added. "Nevermind. I don't think that we would understand. But I think that we'd understand if we saw it. Lead the way, Basil."

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Oh? Don't exaggerate, Mayberry. I don't think that I am worthy enough to be messenger of Frith... I mean Haila." Basil said "But if she thinks otherwise, then I will humbly accept that role." he added, standing on his back feet, head resting on his chest, ears erected, eyes closed and also one paw kept to chest. He stood that way for a few moments, before Thyme spoke up:

"Alright, Basil. You may end posing now." buck said with sarcasm "I am sure that Frith has noticed this by now and you have to lead us to that bridge thing, remember?" Hare opened his eyes and lied down on all fours.

"Yes, yes." hare muttered "Now. All rabbits! Lets move out!" he exclaimed and made one leap in direction of a bridge, before he stopped and turned to Thistle with embarrassed expression "I beg your pardon, Thistle-rah. That was something you should have said."

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
"Indeed it was." Replied Thistle. He had no intention of making it sound forceful, because he liked Basil, and the hare was very helpful. But nonetheless, if he was to be Chief, it would be him taking charge.

"Let's get moving. Keep as close as you can to Basil." Said Thistle, adressing the others. Then, he turned and waited for Basil to lead the way.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Mayberry kept close to the rest of the rabbits as she could but still kept to the back of the pack to make sure nothing came up from behind and surprised them.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Basil set out for the bridge, leading group of rabbits. It did not take long for them to reach it (although significantly longer than it would take for hare) and they all could see that thing Basil said they could use to cross the river...

"I've never seen anything like this before." Thyme said, looking with curiosity at stone bridge "Are you sure it is safe?" he asked.

"Of course." hare responded "We just have to avoid being seen by humans and going across should be as easy as picking up daisies."

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
"This is a bridge?" Said Thistle. It wasn't as unusual as he had thought. It appeared to be a road over water. It was unsuprising to the rabbit.

"Well, it doesn't appear that there's much to it. Like Basil said, crossing it should be fairly easy, as long as no men cross it."

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Mayberry however smiled from the back of the group.
"Well then what are we waiting for? Let's get crossing already!" she cried outloud.