The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

HDCD

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Its an odd format, but its out there.  Basically, if you play an HDCD with Windows Media Player (and only that player) you'll get even higher quality audio based on the data on the cd.  If you use anything else, the extra resolution won't be played back.  Sort of a catch-22, but there are ways around it if you want to dig into 3rd party stuff (I did and am glad I did so).

I only own one HDCD - the soundtrack to Princess Mononoke, and often times its tracks show up in the "Now Playing" topic.  The HDCD version is about -8db off of clipping at 0db and seems to have a bit of filtering applied to the sound, but sounds amazing on good equipment.  Without the HDCD info, the sound is pushed against the 0db brick wall and the audio clips badly at some points.  There is definitely a noticeable difference in quality due to different mastering.

Too bad there aren't more classical/movie scores released in a higher quality format like this (despite jumping through hoops to get the hi-def rips).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Is it a new format, or has it been around a while.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have one HD-CD, the latest Sonata Arctica album.  I have no idea what it was until I noticed the little logo in WMP and I looked it up. :p

Interesting concept, sort of a halfway house between CD and DVD audio.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Actually, the format is sort of old...MS bought the code in 2001 or so I think, and they haven't tinkered with it since.  Like the SACD and DVD-A, there's just too many limitations for this to be a popular thing, despite how much better the audio sounds.

Its odd for me to say this, but I'd rather stuff I can do something with, than have to do a specific thing to play hi-def versions of something because the maker won't part with the code so that software can be made for it.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess that means cd's are in no danger of going away anytime soon.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Hardly, though downloads are starting to take double digit percentages of sales.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Likely since folks can then listen to the music on their pda's, ipods, mp3 players, ect.