The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Hardest Games Ever!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think you know the drill.  Post the hardest games you can think of.

Here's a nice one to start out.

The Real Super Mario Bros 2

The following walkthrough says it all.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Thank god this never came out in the US.

Truttle

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Dream match in Mike Tyson's Punch Out! 28 years and I still can't beat him! Graah!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I dare anyone to beat Ikaruga on Hard Mode, without dying! :D

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Ninja Gaiden 2, on the hardest difficulty. I still can't beat the boss on that plane level :anger

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Demon's Souls... again... just Demon's Souls :lol

Salvatore Blackheart

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Advance wars 2 history camping (hard mode) if you want a S rank in all missions.

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Dec 18 2010 on  08:52 PM
Thank god this never came out in the US.
Why? it would be a fun challenge! :D

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Though you can get the real SMB 2 on mario all-stars, or for Wii's virtual console now.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: bushwacked,May 29 2011 on  10:26 AM
Ninja Gaiden 2, on the hardest difficulty. I still can't beat the boss on that plane level :anger
Bleh, I hated that game in the end.  Have not finished it so far....it was just that difficult >.<

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: vonboy,May 29 2011 on  04:26 AM
Though you can get the real SMB 2 on mario all-stars, or for Wii's virtual console now.
It's not the same.

In Super Mario All Stars, when you play "The Lost Levels", you can save the game at ANY level. (ie 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc.) As such, you can keep trying the level until you beat it, thus breaking the difficulty the game is known for.

In the original, you had the choice to continue from the beginning of the world rather than the beginning of the level.  Imagine if you got to the 4th level of the world and you lost your final life.  You'd then be forced to continue from the beginning of that world.  Thus starting you at the first level of that world, forcing you to go through the whole trials you faced before, and you probably struggled enough to get there.

As for the Virtual Console, it's not the same as well, since you can stop playing and continue where you left off.  The original did not have such a feature.  You had to go through all 8 worlds in one sitting.

The fact is, the sheer difficulty was the reason it was NEVER released in the US in it's ORIGINAL settings and features.

Play it in one sitting.  I doubt you can do it easily.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I don't think how often you save really effects difficulty all that much. Even if you could save at any point you wanted to, that doesn't make the game any easier.

I admit, I use save states when I play games on the computer. No it doesn't make the gameplay that much easier. It doesn't make it easier to kill a boss. It doesn't make it easier to find items. All it does is let you save and that's it.

That's something I hate about games today. I feel games should allow the player to save at any point. This is something I did not like about the Metroid Prime games and Metroid Other M. There are times, when playing those games, that I'm tired or I need to go somewhere. I can't just shut the game off; I'd lose progress, so I have to hunt around for a save station and sometimes the nearest one is a good distance away and I have to fight enemies along the way.

I was relieved when I found I could save Metroid, Metroid II, Metroid Fusion, and Super Metroid at any point since I play them on the computer, not the consoles themselves. It didn't make the gameplay for any of them any easier. I still died. But being able to save at any point, even in the middle of a boss battle, was a great improvement, in my opinion, as it lets me stop playing at any moment.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I used quick save on Doom 3's nightmare mode like crazy, but it didn't make the difficulty any easier. In fact if it wasn't available, I doubt I'd have any reason to continue on through such an unfair challenge.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
You don't have to use those quick save features if you don't want to. You can choose not to use certain features to add more of a challenge, like how there's some people who've played through the original Legend of Zelda to the final boss fight without a sword. :blink:
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ninja Gaiden 2, without a doubt. The hardest game I have ever played. It's been about 2 years and I still haven't found a game that can even compete with its difficulty. Me and my friend have been through those levels so many freakin times it's not even funny. My friend is not the type to really get angry at video games, but while watching him play this game, I have seen a side of him I never even thought existed. I remember a few times I had to literally force myself to stop playing because I thought I was going to have a conniption. Yea, it's THAT bad. You might laugh but I am dead serious. :p Needless to say, I will never forget the overwhelming rage and fury that this game has instilled upon me.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Campion1,May 31 2011 on  04:50 PM
I used quick save on Doom 3's nightmare mode like crazy, but it didn't make the difficulty any easier. In fact if it wasn't available, I doubt I'd have any reason to continue on through such an unfair challenge.
Speaking of quick saving/save stating, there is something else that bugs me regarding games, dealing with difficulty. I hate it when people say that Easy mode is for "babies" or "people who don't know how to play". It's one thing to want a challenge. Some people do. But when that challenge causes more heartache than joy, when it makes you want to rip out your hair, then the challenge is too great (for the time being) and Easy mode is what you want. A game is supposed to be fun to play, not irritating enough to make you grind your teeth.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm having a terrible time in Mortal Komat: Armageddon.  In the Konquest mode, I can't seem to figure out how to get past the part of Shao Kahn's fortess is which Taven has to ascend the two ramps that have rolling boulders coming down.  I get him crushed each time :bang.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
The Myst games!
Don't get me wrong, I love 'em to death, but they're incredibly hard to play.

I beat the fourth game after a two year hiatus, with my boyfriend's help. And I felt so silly when it was THAT obvious of what I had to do  :lol

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
Super Mario Sunshine
-> Never got more than 30 shines. A very frustrating game.

Paper Mario (N64)
-> You are not warned when a boss comes. Also, It's almost impossible to find out how strong enemies are. I fought against a black Shy Guy without the knowledge that this is an ultimate strong enemy. The result was "GAME OVER", of course, and I've never tried to play this game again since then, because I was tired of getting GAME OVERs. -.- It's just frustrating!

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The NES Megaman games - hard

Castlevania series - even harder

Ecco The Dolphin series - hard as nails

Contra series - harder than nails

Abadox - So hard that only by the grace of the gods will you complete it - or with cheats.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
The Hardest Game In The World Flash Game.