The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

movie covers

dragoonanime

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Between the old vhs covers and the new dvd covers that replaced them which do you like better. I liked the vhs covers better because they focused on the all of the gang while the dvd covers usually just have littlefoot, cera and the guest character of the movie.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
I prefer the VHS covers. The designs were more creative and really gave off the feel of an exciting adventure movie . I don't like the DVD covers too much because they make the characters look so ugly. Cera's face often looks too puffy and Littlefoot sometimes looks more like a girl than a boy(the long eyelashes as an example). Not to mention the art is usually just the characters either standing around with their mouths open or random images of the characters together(That's at least how I feel about it).

If you've seen the DVD art for The Mysterious Island, it has Littlefoot, Cera and Chomper sitting together. And Chomper looks incredibly small! Cera's looking at Chomper like she could fit him into her mouth 0 0. There are other problems with the cover art but this one always got to me.

By the way, anyone find it ironic that while LBT 13 is considered the worst of the Land Before Time franchise, the cover art is probably the best right after the first movie?

Will most likely add more later.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Definitely the old cover designs.  The new covers don't look anything like the actual characters.  The DVD covers make LBT look like some cheap crap movie that they put like $5 into the production of before shoving it onto the shelves.   :bang

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Littlefoot looks like he's had WAY too much plastic surgery on the LBT XIII cover :o.  Makes one wonder if the hired so-called artist is under the influence when he or she reports to work :rolleyes:.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
In all frankness, I don’t see how this is even a contest. :rolleyes The VHS cover art is immensely superior in every respect, as far as I’m concerned. The VHS cover art for movies II–VI was excellent in my opinion, and why the decision was made to change it for the DVDs is beyond me. <_<

Most of the DVD art utilizes clip art of the characters (often inconsistent with their actual appearance in the films) and cheap-looking backgrounds in comparison with the original artwork. In most cases, the replacement art isn’t even all that different from the original art, except that characters are removed or changed (take the DVD for LBT II, in which Cera’s head was replaced so that she wears the same expression she had in the advertising art for the original movie :slap) and/or the backgrounds are altered or replaced. The result is cartoony-looking imagery that is far less dynamic and visually appealing than the original art.

Even worse than the cheap corruptions of the VHS art for II, IV, and VI was the artwork for LBT V. While the original cover art consisted of an image of the entire gang endearingly and accurately portrayed cruising over the Big Water on their makeshift log boat, with Chomper waving from the shore of his island and the swimming sharptooth menacing them from a distance, the new cover depicts only a cheaply drawn Cera, Littlefoot, and the LBT II version of Chomper :bang reclining on a lushly vegetated beach; nothing remotely like anything that was seen in the movie. (This artwork was so bad that when I first saw it advertised, I didn’t believe it was the actual DVD cover.)

The best replacement art in my opinion is that for LBT III, in that it at least illustrates two of the themes of the movie (water and sharing); but it still falls far short of the original art (for the same reasons I mentioned earlier).

Apologies if my attempt at a detailed analytical explanation degenerated into a rant at any point. :p

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I first saw a different cover for "Time of the reat giving" when my mom got it for my sister at the library in february 2003. I was shocked; it didn't even have the roman numeral. And then a year ago I saw the new covers for 4 and 5. 4 was extremely offensive since it was wrecking a cover I grew up with. And 5...

Even worse than the cheap corruptions of the VHS art for II, IV, and VI was the artwork for LBT V. While the original cover art consisted of an image of the entire gang endearingly and accurately portrayed cruising over the Big Water on their makeshift log boat, with Chomper waving from the shore of his island and the swimming sharptooth menacing them from a distance, the new cover depicts only a cheaply drawn Cera, Littlefoot, and the LBT II version of Chomper in-frustrated.gif reclining on a lushly vegetated beach; nothing remotely like anything that was seen in the movie. (This artwork was so bad that when I first saw it advertised, I didn’t believe it was the actual DVD cover.)

I can't even being to say how much I agree with you... the original cover was so touching, with the whole gang, and the new one...just stinks.

What else can I say? The original covers were superior in every possible way. I'm so glad I grew up with them. I can only hope the best for those who didn't---that they might grow up with a used copy of the old versions. That's what i'm gonna treat my kids to, anyways.   :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
From what I've seen of the pictures I do prefer the vhs covers over the dvd covers.  You'd think at least they could have used a screen shot from the movie or had one of the animators draw the dvd cover artwork.

Bruton the Iguanodon

The problem is, movies never use screenshots from films as the cover for a DVD or VHS.

Now, I'm gonna compare the old and new covers. This is gonna take a little bit but it'll be worth it.

Land Before Time 1:

I assume this was the original version of the cover. A fairly inoffensive image of our heroes walking happily along a log, with a t-rex spotting them, but even that looks rather mild. Definitely doesn't portray how things are shown in the film, but hey, it'll get parents to buy it for kids!  :D

Okay, so they changed it so it's in the big plastic case. I know it's minor, but it makes it feel like you're holding something more juvenile. But anyways, other then the fact that it's shown closer up, it doesn't offer anything different.

It seems all they really want to do is keep showing the gang closer up. So now we're not even really seeing them crossing a perilous chasm, just they're happy faces. And the t-rex seems to be moving further away.

Can you believe it all results from this amazing original poster, in which we see the gang as a symbol of lost innocence in a cold, harsh world?

So which of the covers is my favorite of the three? Duh, the first!

Bruton the Iguanodon

Alright, onto the great valley adventure. We start out with this cover.

A fairly inoffensive image, but it spoils the surprise of what the egg contains (in it's defense, though, the back cover summary gives it away.) There are other things to critizise too, though. Obviously it takes place right after Chomper's hatching, in which the whole gang is supposed to be afraid and running away. On the other hand, I like how it shows Ozzie and Strut (using...more of an art from the film, i noticed  :huh:) and one of Chomper's parents. That's ok that they only show one, I guess having both would give away who they are. And I also like how Cera looks sooooo unconvinced.  :lol:

I'd also like to point out that the video was apparently originally released in a box case, seeing as I've found this one with the "Universal Family" thing at the top, which looks like something that would come from a box case.

Hmm...same characters in exact same positions...but in a cave. Huh. Guess the artists were too lazy to make a new cover for this re-release. Why didn't they just stick with the old one that made more sense? Oh, and Strut, Ozzy and Chomper's mom are missing.

This is where things really get nasty. Yet again it portrays the scene of Chomper's hatching, and it's back outside again. But now Spike and Petrie are missing, and Cera looks...like she's on red bull. What the heck? That was the best thing about the original cover, the doubtful expression on her face. It was one of the things that was really true to the film. Well, guess that goes. But what's worst is the logo at the top---which instantly screams, "Crappy cookie-cutter franchise!"

Clearly, the first one wins.

Well, now we're onto 3.

This one tackles the job of portraying an action-packed scene---in this case, where Hyp gets stuck in the tar. Now seeing what we've seen of the LBT film covers so far, that's no easy task, but whoever drew this did an amazing job. Whoever did, well, way to go, man! Keep up the good work!

Now, here's another one.

(Sorry its not in english) This cover contrasts sharply to the last one, as it shows our heroes in a moment of pure innocence and fun, while the bullies are reduced to the background observers---the role the gang had in the other cover.

And what of this?

Though initially a touching image, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that it's a photoshopped version of the last one---like with 2, we get the same charaters in the same position, but with a different background. The background characters are once again dismissed from the picture, which sucks.

A downright touching image which gets the film's message across...but again, Spike and Petrie are missing, and there's that cheap logo at the top.

I'm gonna say...the second is my favorite.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Ah, 4, the most classic LBT film for me, and probably my favorite, tied with 3. Here we first have the original cover I grew up with and loved---and still love today. The whole gang and Ali, and the double rainbows, and Dil and Ichy in the BG, Dil licking her lips and Ichy with his infamous binoculars, LOL!!

What could possibly possess someone to destroy that image in favor of another? Espicially this:

Yes, where is Ali indeed?!!! I suppose they could be keeping her a surprise...but I think the back cover still gives her away. There's no reason she should be left out! Otherwise, it's just the gang in the same position as in the original, just on a different background, and Petrie drawn...much cruder. (Shudder)

These are what I'll now call the "new logo-at-the-top versions". Thankfully Ali is back. But where are Ducky and Spike now? Gez, whoever designed these covers sure hates him. Otherwise, it's okay, but not nearly as good as the original.

Wow, this is taking a while. Help is much appreciated.  :)

Bruton the Iguanodon

Alright, now onto 5. Remember what Pangaea had to say about the covers for 5?

Even worse than the cheap corruptions of the VHS art for II, IV, and VI was the artwork for LBT V. While the original cover art consisted of an image of the entire gang endearingly and accurately portrayed cruising over the Big Water on their makeshift log boat, with Chomper waving from the shore of his island and the swimming sharptooth menacing them from a distance, the new cover depicts only a cheaply drawn Cera, Littlefoot, and the LBT II version of Chomper in-frustrated.gif reclining on a lushly vegetated beach; nothing remotely like anything that was seen in the movie. (This artwork was so bad that when I first saw it advertised, I didn’t believe it was the actual DVD cover.)

Well, let's look at the 2 covers she's talking about.

I don't think anyone in their right mind who's seen 5 could possibly disagree with her. I certainly do! I remember the first cover from when I was young, and it instantly melted my heart, like the movie itself---well, most of it, I won't get in to the parts of it i dislike---did. The other cover? It stinks in every way. No Ducky, No Spike, No Petrie, Littlefoot and Cera drawn terribly, Chomper looking like he did in 2, a completely incorrect setting...it sucks in every possible way.

Additionally, there's another cover she apparently hasn't seen, and boy, is it weird...

Ok. First of all, it doesn't make the least amount of sense. When the hell were they walking underwater?!! Was the artist who drew this on drugs or something?! Worst of all, it's using the characters in the same position as they were in the original, endearing cover! How the hell did Universal even get away with a cover as inaccuarte as this?!!

It's far too obvious to even mention the fact that the original cover is my absolute favorite and the others never should have existed, as I've said that pretty much for the other covers, but...I REALLY mean it here!!

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Great analysis, Bruton. Keep 'em coming. :yes  And by the way, Pangaea is male.

Bruton the Iguanodon

And by the way, Pangaea is male.

Oh crap.  :slap I felt a little guity about assumig but was fairly confident...sorry, Pangaea, really sorry.

Anyways, yeah, it sure is fun doing this.  :smile

Bruton the Iguanodon

Okay, it shows Doc, and, to my disapointment, the annoying twerps...but...where are Spike and Ducky?! (getting the crap stung out of them by stingers---just kidding! But really, it's bad enough that Ducky has been missing since 3---and I'm not sure the person who did the artwork for the "current" covers has any idea Spike exists.  :confused

What did the origial cover that I grew up with when I saw 6 waaayyyyyy back in 2002 look like?

Wow...this cover was really nice. It's a similar image, but the background is a beautiful sunset purple instead of night grey, we have the whole gang grouped together (I think it's really cute how Ducky has her hands over Spike's eyes  :lol ) and though the twins are still there they're sandwhiched into a corner. Really, I don't see why they'd feel the need to change this.

Here's the last one. It's got the whole gang in the same position as in the original, but again with a different backdrop. The guest characters are gone---thankfully the twins are gone!---but still...I think I like the original the best.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Okay, so far there have been, in the most case, three types of covers:

1. The classic original cover that would the whole gang, as well as several guest characters, all drawn correctly and often endearingly.
2. A cheap knock-off of the original, feauturing the whole gang in the same position, but with a different background, usually one that had nothing to do with the film, and no guest characters (the lack of Ali in 4 was by far the most frustrating one.)
3. The "current" usually loosely-based-on-the-original cover that would include the guest characters, but omit at least 2 members of the gang---Spike always being one them :anger, and include that cheesy logo at the top.

With 7, though, it's a little different.

Here's the original cover art. I think it would be cool to show the rainbow faces and the flyer trio, but what the hell, they got the whole gang, even if Petrie is badly drawn.

And here's the current one---

YES! They FINALLY decided to keep the original cover art!!!  :D Who cares that they've got the logo at the top? Spike is finally on the covers!!!

And what of the third one?

Yup, you guessed it---a pic of the gang, looking just as they did on the original cover art, but on a background that makes no sense. What the heck, at least it's a really nice backdrop here.  :)

But...(ominously)is that it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MdlrhK4gWY

At the 6:10 mark...hmm...did they just mirror the cover, or is different?  I've searched aroud on the net for this cover, but can't find it...I'm gonna assume it's just a badly photoshopped image of the orginal cover.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Now, for Big freeze.

The current cover:

Eh, it's OK, but Tippy isn't so much of a guest character in the sense that Ali or Chomper are, so why not include Cera instead? Otherwise it's not awful. I love the snow and the arch and the waterfall---it's a little nostalgic at first and then very heartwarming.  :)

Other then the fact that Cera is here and they're close to the archway,it doesn't offer anything too different, which is fine with me. The catch? This wasn't the original cover, but the DVD cover! Weird, huh? (But I think this cover did get VHS release, too, but the first cover was the original VHS one, maybe? I dunno.)

And yes, there is a third one...and it's odd.

The only differences from the first? It's darker, Petrie's gone, and instead of Tippy, we have...who is that? Mama Spiketail? I don't think you ca even see her face... I can't even get a closer image, since this cover is next to impossible to find online. Anyways, right to the heading on the top,it's otherwise identical to the first; it's not even the typical "background is different" third cover, which makes me wonder why they even made a third one...

All of this makes me wonder if this cover is even real... :confused Hmm...keep your eyes out for anything like this.

Bruton the Iguanodon

For posting the current cover for "Journey to Big Water", I'll kill two birds with one stone by using this image, which shows another cover for movie 1. It's basically the same image all the other covers for movie 1 use, but mirrored. Thankfully it's a faraway shot compared to the last 2 covers. I'm gonna assume that most of the earlier sequels had the "uiversal family entertainment" logo originally and got a box-case release.  ;)

What of the cover for 9? It's nice, shows our whole gang and lovable Mo. Sure, you'd never guess from it that the dark, rainy sequence in which the swimming sharptooth attacks could possibly occur, but hey, it's very touching. My biggest complaint is that Mo is fully in the water and is purple and yellow. Anyone's who's watched 9 knows that when Mo goes underwater he becomes a beautiful blue, and he's also this awesome color whenever it's night.  ;)

The DVD art for this film (probably got a VHS release, too, I remember seeing this I thik as a kid), it doesn't offer much different from what we have today, but the rainbow adds a nice touch and the lettering gives me one of those nostalgic, heartwarming feelings. So while not too different, it is superior.

I also found these:

http://www.fanpix.net/0724011/017557595/th...er-picture.html

http://www.fanpix.net/0724011/017557594/th...er-picture.html

I highly doubt these were ever actual covers; perhaps planed cover artwork that was scrapped, but with well-done sketches that still remain. I'm glad the first one wasn't used.

Otherwise that's pretty much it. Movie 9 suffers the least cover-itis so far (probably since it's newer)

For 10:

It's not bad---we got the whole gang, and it doesn't give away too much. Otherwise not really much to say.

I think this is the international edition, hence the alternate title.
Again, the color of the sky is unecessarily changed, but overall it's the same. And like I said, not a bad cover. Umm...they kinda squeeze the grandparents and Bron into the BG...which is interesting since not since 6 have we really gotten characters in the BG. Other then that oddity both covers are pretty cool.

Bruton the Iguanodon

To my knowledge, 11 got only 1 cover---and this is very frustrating, because...well take a look at it and you'll see what I mean.

That's just disturbing!! Seriously, what is this? Barney?!! Get that thing away from me!!!!  :x

Well, 11 stinks anyways. What have we got for 12?

A very different style of art...I'm not really liking this style. Anyways, we've got the obvious main ones---Cera, Petrie, and Guido. And Littlefoot, cause the main character of most films just has to be on the cover.

The same art, just with different lettering.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do...nd+Desktop+2007

not gonna bother uploading it; but this link has another version of 12 with the same artwork but differet lettering.

13 got just one cover, and it sucks.

Wow. Look how far the artwork came. Anyways there's a versio with fifferent lettering too.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=wisdom+of+f...s:0&amp;tx=94&amp;ty=80
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=wisdom+of+f...s:0&tx=94&ty=80

I'm done. Enjoy!

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
I must admit I like the art work on the original VHS covers a lot more.
Here in the UK the DVD covers just have 2 (extreme close ups) of the characters on the cover. Apart from the first movie with has the gang closer together and Sharptooth even more far in the background.
I don't see why they couldn't have just kept them covers the same for the DVD releases.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
"I don't think anyone in their right mind who's seen 5 could possibly disagree with her. I certainly do!"

Sorry, I meant to say I certainly DON'T disagree with Pangea.