The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What different purchases have you made recently?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Remember Gollum back from page 3 of this very thread? Well, he struck again :p
Here I sit amidst packaging material and 26 lovely books on the American Old West :D

I bought these books from the UK. Bless the European Union, this time I did not even have to pick up the book (against a ransom of tolls) at the supposedly local customs office but got that right home without any need to pick them up or pay additionally, not to mention the considerably lower shipping costs to get stuff across the channel rather than the big pond.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Malte, I have to ask.  Why are books so important to you?  Certainly the images and information can be found online.  What's the significance of having these things in print?  I've never really understood this concept in anything....even family photos.  So long as you've got a decent sized monitor you shouldn't have to print stuff out.  What is it with humans and tangible items?  Why doesn't having the data and thing to look at suffice?  I'm one of those people who wish things never had to be printed (such as school assignments and photos).

And I'm not looking for a "Because it's good to have something to hold" answer.  I already know that.  I'm wondering what the significance of having "something to hold" is to you and other people.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Certainly the images and information can be found online.
Depends what you're after.  I know there is a lot of information in books on music, orchestration, composition, etc. that people just don't share online.  The advice on many forums whenever you ask is simple:
"Go get <this book>!  It's awesome for explaining this!"

Some information, specifically some of the most detailed, valuable information, just doesn't appear online, in my experience.  Perhaps that has something to do with it.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^^Hmmmmm....I'm not the biggest history fanatic, but whenever I need detailed information on a topic relating to history, I can almost always find it online.  Perhaps I just know how to google better. :p My family says I've got a knack for it, but I really don't think what I do is that hard.  It's just so obvious how to search for things.  Of course, I know how google works. :nyah

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
There are many reasons, the one "to hold something" is but one. I really love to read and while I also love flipping through wikipedia articles I prefer reading from paper by far over reading of a screen in case of very long texts. Also much of the information to be found in the internet must not be quoted in scientific discourse (e.g. the papers I got to write for the university) while these books (though these particular specimen provide basic knowledge rather new theories) are perfectly suitable for that purpose. Many of the pictures from the book have so far not even been published online (yes, that IS possible even in our time ;)).
While I am definitely going to read those books (unlike those people who buy tons and tons of books just to have them on their boards but with no intention to ever read them (some will even go so far to buy fake book spines to put on their boards in order to pretend being erudite to any visitors; which may turn out highly embarrassing if anyone ones to check out one of those "books")) I admit it is something about collecting as well it looks great to have a whole series of these books complete.
It is not like I was going after every book I could get my hands on. Not even after every book on one of "my" topics, but I knew these to be very well made and written (knowing a couple from the series from libraries which never provide all of them though).
Some say that the day will come when electronic reading will oust books, and while the book selling rates so far do not support this view, I'm afraid there is some substance to it (Time life for example has by now stopped creating such books as ever less people are willing to pay for them), but I do not hope to see the day when it is just screen reading only. I reckon it may be as difficult for you to understand as for me the collecting of computers would be, somewhat understandable but not quite sensible. That sensibility in our actions (or lack of the same), I reckon, is strongly determined by the perception of the individual :lol

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That sensibility in our actions (or lack of the same), I reckon, is strongly determined by the perception of the individual dino_laugh.gif

Very insightful Malte!  As expected from you.  I've never understood it before, but now I think I do in some way.  Though the #1 reason I believe in having solely non-printed material is the waste of the earths resources producing all that paper makes.  The second is just the convenience of having it all "right there".  I'll never be into books myself, but online reading is what I like to do quite frequently.  I guess it's different for everybody.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Bought a Family Guy trivia game for my brother and a LBT tee from Hot Topic.com Lol, I never purchased an order on the phone before. :p

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I bought SOOOOO many books these past two weeks it's not even funny! o.O

I even am starting to review most of them right now.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The AVATAR soundtrack and Two Steps From Hell:Invincible off of Amazon.

Vek

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Kaelvek
A new graphic card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 and a new 23" flat widescreen monitor.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Vek,Aug 5 2010 on  06:47 PM
A new graphic card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 and a new 23" flat widescreen monitor.
My envy for you has tripled.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Lesse...Nerf Guns...Swords...
Oh, and a Boba Fett Helmet.  Which is freaking awesome.!

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Two throwback Pepsi's and and Andi capp hot fries. Ohhh yeeeaaaahhh

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
In the past month or so, I've spent about $300 on linkbuilding campaigns.  It would have been half that if I hadn't made a stupid mistake.  Ah well.  You live and learn I guess. :p  I plan to spend at least a few hundred more just on the one site I'm promoting.  The results have been sooooo good!  :D I'm thinking of opening up yet another website, this time with the intention of making a decent amount of regular, dependable income from it.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Bought a lion plushie for my friend who's returning to Moscow this Thursday. :)

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Heheh...Just today, I bought an engagement ring for my girlfriend, got her an engraved pendant, and got myself some non-alcoholic beer and candy.  
Oh, and I'm ordering gifts for my nakama online.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, it wasn't myself, but something that was still useful that my friend bought, whom I flat with....a Headset for my PS3 actually, which is what he's using at the moment whilst playing Dragon Ball: Raging Blast online.

I'll be using the headset for when I play Resident Evil 5 online XD

JitteryDragon

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I bought a 2500 point (about $600 worth) Lizardman Warhammer army, off Ebay of course. I am such a nerdy nerd.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Two power supplies from TigerDirect.  They were pieces of crap 250w PSU's, but the price is right ($11 apiece).  With shipping and everything, both supplies were less than $30.  I got these PSU's to put into basic computers.  For example, if a client brings in a basic HP computer that's 5 years old or whatever, 250w is fine.  Not to mention the fact that they don't want to spend a fortune on something like a PSU for an older machine like that.