The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ask Gutza1

gutza1 · 19 · 713

gutza1

• Chomper
    • View Profile
This is an AMA thread, I guess. Ask me anything.
"This song is new to me, but I am honored to be a part of it."
-Solanum

The Mr. E's science advisor and the GoF's resident spaceflight enthusiast

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What do you think of the 1969 Moon Landing?

gutza1

• Chomper
    • View Profile
What do you think of the 1969 Moon Landing?

I think it was one of the greatest accomplishments in human history and it was a great loss that we didn't establish a longer manned presence on the Moon because of the ineffective and ill-conceived Space Transportation System architecture.
-Solanum

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Have you watched Animaniacs? Did you like it?

gutza1

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Have you watched Animaniacs? Did you like it?

Not really. I was a 2000s kid, not a 90s kid.
-Solanum

gutza1

• Chomper
    • View Profile
What's your favrouite film?

Interstellar. It holds a special place in my heart because it showed that the kind of science fiction stories I am interested in could appeal to a general audience.
-Solanum

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Of all the planets and moons of our solar system, which ones do you consider to be the most interesting?

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

gutza1

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Besides Earth? Well, it's hard to say.

I've personally held a soft spot for Saturn, not just due to the scientific facts about it but because of various nostalgic childhood educational/science-related media. In terms of science I also think we should definitely be exploring the ice giants, as we've only flown by them once and there's much we have to learn about this class of planet.

As for moons, where do I start? Our own Moon contains a geological record of the entire history of the solar system as well as much of Earth's geological history. With its proximity to Earth, it is the perfect intermediate destination and staging ground for manned interplanetary missions. In terms of scientific interest, I'd also rank Titan, as it is the only moon in a solar system with a thick atmosphere and organic molecules on its surface. Given that it likely has a subsurface ocean, there's a good chance it might possess indigenous life. The same could be said for Enceladus, though I don't know if NASA has detected any organic molecules from its plumes. Finally, the Galilean moons offer many intriguing targets for science, though Jupiter's dangerous radiation belts make exploration of that system rather difficult.
-Solanum

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Have you ever watched Dink the little dinosaur?

gutza1

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Have you ever watched Dink the little dinosaur?

Nope and I don't intend to. I've heard it wasn't that good.
-Solanum

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Seeing as you recently mentioned you live in Florida, I'm now curious if you've ever traveled to the Cape Canaveral area to witness any space launches.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

gutza1

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Seeing as you recently mentioned you live in Florida, I'm now curious if you've ever traveled to the Cape Canaveral area to witness any space launches.

Oh yes, definitely. I live in Orlando and as a kid I probably visited the KSC visitor center 40 times. In addition I watched the Space Shuttle launch once when I was 8, and I was present for the first test flight of Orion (EFT-1), the first launch of Falcon Heavy, and even the launch of Artemis I, which was a spectacular experience.

Feathered, or scaled dinosaurs?

Feathered, hands-down. One of the reasons I was never really into dinosaurs as a kid is that I must have subconsciously thought they looked ugly due to how they were depicted in legacy media. It was when I discovered that many of them likely had feathers or some other kind of integument that I truly fell in love with them, as making creatures like Velociraptor look bird-like made them much more compelling. I guess I just like the idea of creating a direct link to the birds that are around us today.

I will say that for dinosaurs that are confirmed to have scales, I prefer it if artists actually do the scales justice by making them as distinct and interesting as the scales of reptiles. Most depiction of "scaled" dinosaurs just gave them mammal-like skin, which made them grotesque and unappealing. This, unfortunately, is a pitfall of LBT's creature designs and is something I hope Universal would correct if they were to reboot the series.
-Solanum

gutza1

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Pokemon or Digimon?

Neither. Hope that didn't disappoint you. It's just not my cup of tea.
-Solanum

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Star Wars or Star Trek?

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

gutza1

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Star Wars or Star Trek?

This might sound blasphemous, but I'm not really into either. I grew up reading Asimov and I'm more into "hard" science fiction, or at least science fiction that feels less cliched. If there's one mainstream science fiction franchise I am into, it's Mass Effect.
-Solanum

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Star Wars or Star Trek?

This might sound blasphemous, but I'm not really into either. I grew up reading Asimov and I'm more into "hard" science fiction, or at least science fiction that feels less cliched. If there's one mainstream science fiction franchise I am into, it's Mass Effect.

Hey no blasphemy in my book. I was a major Warsian, now I have hung up my Jedi cape, and lightsaber. I enjoy Star Trek, but I am not a Trekkie.

I am more of Alien and Predator universe fan. I love the dark and creepy space odysseys. 

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith