The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My Desktop is back!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good news everyone!  My Desktop has been officially reformated!  I am definitely enjoying my LBT-custom made Desktop.

Thank you very much, LBTlover!  You don't know how grateful I am for this. :^.^:

But geez!  So much work!  It took alot to get this up and running again.  I'm just glad it's over.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to enjoy my Desktop some more! :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Sounds like the reformat really fixed your troubles. :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Jun 25 2008 on  12:29 PM
Sounds like the reformat really fixed your troubles. :)
It did, and made it better than it's been in months!  It seriously needed the reformat.  I had never done that before and I had this baby for near 4 years.  It was overdue for one, huh?

My parents wouldn't understand how badly it needed one, and they wanted me to take it into the professionals.  In a way, I kinda did. :P:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Your computer is 4 years old?  It must have been a lot of money!  His computer specs are as follows:

1.8ghz AMD athlon processor (single core)

512mb of ram (DDR)

80GB SATA hard disk

it has Windows XP SP3 now. :D

I bought a desktop brand new a little over a year ago and its specs are pretty comparable.  It cost $700! :wow

I'm glad you like it.  It was a ***** to find drivers for.  It was obviously custom built.  You've got a decent setup.  Way more than you need for XP lite SP3.  I would recommend a ram upgrade since your computers maximum memory expansion is 4gb though.  It's really cheap to upgrade it to 4gb(4096mb) as opposed to your 512mb.  Honestly though you can't live with 512mb of ram.  You need at least 2gb this day and age.  Your computer should be fine for a long time now though.  I'm glad I was able to help.  If we ever have to do this again, a better webcam on your part would be greatly appreciated. :lol

they wanted me to take it into the professionals. In a way, I kinda did.

Yeah, you did.  I may not be certified, but I really don't need to be since I work for myself.  I only need certification if I wanted to do something like be a computer admin for a school or something. :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jun 25 2008 on  10:32 PM
Your computer is 4 years old?  It must have been a lot of money!  His computer specs are as follows:

1.8ghz AMD athlon processor (single core)

512mb of ram (DDR)

80GB SATA hard disk

it has Windows XP SP3 now. :D

I bought a desktop brand new a little over a year ago and its specs are pretty comparable.  It cost $700! :wow
With mine, with what you've put up so far, add in a Samsung Monitor and a Logitech keyboard (It holds a nice rest at the bottom that makes it easy for me to go for quite a bit of time without stopping on a typing spree.  Without it, I could find myself resting every 15 minutes if I had to do something long in a short amount of time.) that came with a wired mouse. (The last item was changed several months back to a Microsoft 5-button with scroll wheel wireless mouse just because the wired stopped working.)

Whole dang thing, along with free emergency service for life by the company that made it, cost me a whopping $1500. :o

I'd say it was worth EVERY penny. :P:

I'm glad you like it. It was a ***** to find drivers for. It was obviously custom built. You've got a decent setup. Way more than you need for XP lite SP3. I would recommend a ram upgrade since your computers maximum memory expansion is 4gb though. It's really cheap to upgrade it to 4gb(4096mb) as opposed to your 512mb. Honestly though you can't live with 512mb of ram. You need at least 2gb this day and age. Your computer should be fine for a long time now though. I'm glad I was able to help. If we ever have to do this again, a better webcam on your part would be greatly appreciated. :lol

I've got quite a bit of extra cash on me, so I'll take your advice and get some more ram.  Hmm, I'm guessing Best Buy would be best for me to go to.

Yeah, you did. I may not be certified, but I really don't need to be since I work for myself. I only need certification if I wanted to do something like be a computer admin for a school or something. :)

Now my parents are amazed with what you've done with my computer. (Even the very nice custom made LBT Desktop you provided me with.  Definitely satisfies the LBT fan in me.) I don't think they'll be bothering me about you EVER again. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It's great that it worked out so well.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've got quite a bit of extra cash on me, so I'll take your advice and get some more ram. Hmm, I'm guessing Best Buy would be best for me to go to.

Actually, crucial would be MUCH better.  DDR ram is expensive if you just go into a store and buy it.  Go to crucial.com and do the crucial scan.  It is incompatible with the firefox browser I installed however so you'll have to use IE (the program with the blue "e" as an icon).  After that, it'll display what ram you can buy.  I think I saw a whole 4gb for only $139.  That's a killer deal.  You'd be lucky to get one stick for $85 at best buy and here you'd be getting 4 of them!

I don't think they'll be bothering me about you EVER again.

Well, it is understandable.  They don't even know who I am or anything so it's only natural that they'd feel a little bit uneasy about someone they don't even know doing work on their computer from across the country.

There is one other thing that I suggest you buy for your computer if possible.  You need an external hard drive for backup purposes.  They save ya tons of time and money.  No more messing around with disks and your data is much more secure.  You can get a 500gb for about $130 and a 320gb for about $100.  It's definitely worth the $30 for the extra 180gb's.  I'd get the 500 if you can afford it.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jun 26 2008 on  03:04 PM
I've got quite a bit of extra cash on me, so I'll take your advice and get some more ram. Hmm, I'm guessing Best Buy would be best for me to go to.

Actually, crucial would be MUCH better.  DDR ram is expensive if you just go into a store and buy it.  Go to crucial.com and do the crucial scan.  It is incompatible with the firefox browser I installed however so you'll have to use IE (the program with the blue "e" as an icon).  After that, it'll display what ram you can buy.  I think I saw a whole 4gb for only $139.  That's a killer deal.  You'd be lucky to get one stick for $85 at best buy and here you'd be getting 4 of them!

I did see a 2 GB one at Best Buy for about $60.  However, I was unsure if it was compatible at the time, so I didn't get it.  I'll try that place as you advise, but I still wonder if I should go for the full 4 GB or not.  I'm sure I'd do well without going so high.

There is one other thing that I suggest you buy for your computer if possible. You need an external hard drive for backup purposes. They save ya tons of time and money. No more messing around with disks and your data is much more secure. You can get a 500gb for about $130 and a 320gb for about $100. It's definitely worth the $30 for the extra 180gb's. I'd get the 500 if you can afford it.

I recall seeing quite a few of the 500GB ones at Circuit City when I was looking around for possible compatible ram.  They look super sweet.  It would definitely be nice having one of those. :) I'll look into getting one. :^.^:

Thanks for the tips! :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I did see a 2 GB one at Best Buy for about $60. However, I was unsure if it was compatible at the time, so I didn't get it. I'll try that place as you advise, but I still wonder if I should go for the full 4 GB or not. I'm sure I'd do well without going so high.

Trust me, if you can afford 4gb, get it.  You can never have enough ram.  Even though 2gb would do for now, it will soon seem like not enough and you'll have to go buy the 4gb anyway.  The crucial kits are sold so that if you want to upgrade you have to remove all of the existing ram so if you get 2gb now and realize it's not enough, you can't go get another 2gb later.  You'll have to pay for the full 4gb and then have 2gb of useless ram that has crappy resell value.  In a sense you'll be double paying.  You don't want to do that.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jun 26 2008 on  10:46 PM
I did see a 2 GB one at Best Buy for about $60. However, I was unsure if it was compatible at the time, so I didn't get it. I'll try that place as you advise, but I still wonder if I should go for the full 4 GB or not. I'm sure I'd do well without going so high.

Trust me, if you can afford 4gb, get it.  You can never have enough ram.  Even though 2gb would do for now, it will soon seem like not enough and you'll have to go buy the 4gb anyway.  The crucial kits are sold so that if you want to upgrade you have to remove all of the existing ram so if you get 2gb now and realize it's not enough, you can't go get another 2gb later.  You'll have to pay for the full 4gb and then have 2gb of useless ram that has crappy resell value.  In a sense you'll be double paying.  You don't want to do that.
I promise to do so ASAP if that's the case.  I'm going to have to save up my money a bit before I can go for the 4 GB of ram and the external hard drive for backup purposes.  I've definitely run into a shortage on money, especially since I'm still paying off my laptop. (Payments of that won't stop til September.) At least I won't have to worry about such money problems the next time I do a reformat, huh? ;)

I'll try and get the stuff ASAP, but I don't want to run into many money problems at this moment, especially since I'm saving up spending money for an upcoming cruise that I'm having with the family in August.  I hope you understand this. :)

Well, see ya later! :^.^:

Oh and BTW, I'm keeping the webcam I got.  I can see many purposes for it.  It'll especially make my upcoming LBT fanvids more creative when I get them underway. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like things are working out for you.  Good luck and hope you have fun on your cruise.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I just recently ordered the 4 GB RAM from crucial, which cost me $148.  I even did the overnight shipping, which cost me an extra $16.00. (Don't worry, I can afford it right now.) Add the tax and the total cost me $175.

Next up, the 500 GB external hard drive for backup purposes.  I'll save up my cash before I buy that. :)

EDIT: Just recently learned how to install the RAM on YouTube.  Geez!  Didn't realize it was THAT easy. :^.^:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Pokeplayer:

Just remember to ground yourself before even touching the ram chips.  You could fry your almost $200 investment in a second if you're not grounded when ya touch them.  Get a wrist grounding strap for all of your computer installing needs, or if you don't want to do that the next best thing is to make sure you touch metal before touching the computer components.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jun 30 2008 on  01:50 PM
Pokeplayer:

Just remember to ground yourself before even touching the ram chips.  You could fry your almost $200 investment in a second if you're not grounded when ya touch them.  Get a wrist grounding strap for all of your computer installing needs, or if you don't want to do that the next best thing is to make sure you touch metal before touching the computer components.
So true.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If I mess around with the insides of my computer I make sure part of my bare skin, a part of a let, a foot,  is touching either an unpainted portion of the case or the metal bookshelf that is not to far away.  I've had no problems yet.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jun 30 2008 on  11:50 AM
Pokeplayer:

A grounding strap?  Never heard of that.  Where would I get one of those? :unsure:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The best place to get them is small out of the way computer shops.  Don't buy anything but a grounding strap though.  They're always waaaaaaay over priced.  Or you can always get them here.  This is the one I have.  You can buy it online:

http://www.bestbyteinc.com/TOL-KMI-ASW.html

As you can see, even the best of brands only costs around $5.  They are a remarkably simple thing.