The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Swine Flu

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
What's your take on this whole new "Swine" flu thing?  How everybody's freaking out and saying "Oh lordy!  It's going to be a pandemic!  Oh noes!"  Honestly, it's the same scare tactic they used with the Bird Flu.  I remember freaking out about it when I was pretty young. :lol   And after that I've never trusted the media since.  Honestly, 36,000 people die every year from the "regular" flu.

If anything, it's going to wind up being the vaccination that kills people.   :confused

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
In a way, it's worrying to note so mny diseases. In another, the disease was already there, we just hadn't detected it yet.

And first it was birds, now this. What's next, ants? ._.

Seriously now, I'm speaking for portuguese here only, since Portugal is *cough*safe*cough* because there's no cases detected.

But you're right in one thing, many people do overreact.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I'm not too worried. I try not to make a big deal about these disease outbreaks. I don't see the benefit of getting worked up over a disease. I'm not saying it's not dangerous; I'm just saying that I don't see any good coming out of being scared to death of some disease that you may not even catch, especially if that disease is more specified towards a different species, such as in the case of bird flu, it targeted birds. The chances of it jumping from one animal to another is low. Not saying it can't happen, but the risk is relatively low, unless I'm mistaken here.

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Insanity, just insanity.  Is this going to happen every time some disease starts popping up?  And what about twitter in all this?  Twitter is the only popular internet sites that I've always hated, its pointless, and now its proving dangerous.  Way to much false information being spread way too fast.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The way I see it if I do go sick I"ll live with it till I get better.  If I don't get sick I can live with that.

NaNaNa

• Spike
    • View Profile
If the symptoms are just like the regular flu, I don't see how its such a big problem.

Err, not the WW1 era flu that killed like 20 million. I mean today's common containable flu

Sure there aren't any clear cut cures but there's definitely treatment, which is widely available. As long as people take care of themselves they should be fine.

Right?

crazedwriter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://crazedwriter.lbbhost.com/index.html
The news media has this annoying habit of not telling the whole story, especially in cases like this. Just like the ebola epidemic about 10 years ago,  one has to look at where these diseases are centered, and where are most people dying. Then take a good look at sanitation and hygiene practices. Handwashing is not a priority in some parts of the world -- no running water or indoor plumbing.

I've had serious flu 3 times in my life, and those only lasted a week or so. I got amoxicillan (sp?) and plenty of rest. Oh, and I wash my hands frequently. See, I work in a public school so the hot water and soap really get a workout!   :smile

Just take care and for goodness sake, Wash your hands! :)

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Another fine example of American mass media sensationalizing on something and blowing it out of proportion <_<.  No worries.  Just maintain (or take up on) good hygiene and take the same precautions ya would around others with the flu.

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
I have a little bit of the swine flu  :(
but what I'm worried about is Mexico.
I feel bad for all the people who are dying

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
*Opens book titled "101 Reasons NOT to watch the news".*

#2: Always blows stuff out of proportion.

#89: Never gives the full story.

And they call it PROFESSIONAL! :rolleyes:

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This is yet another example of the stinking media blowing things way out of proportion.  Remember what happened last time with that bird flu crap?  Also, I keep hearing people compare this to the 1918 flu outbreak but they forget that we didn't have all the advanced medical technology and medicine back then that we have today.  Plus, Swine Flu isn't nearly as deadly as some of the other crap out there.  I'm sick of hearing about it.  i don't even read the crap.  I just get tired of seeing the big headlines and crap every time I log on to the internet.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I dunno. They're making a big deal out of it because they havent thought of any medicin against it and because people can give it to other people. Probably it's not as bad as the media portrays it, but still something to watch out for ;)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Over here medias do report a lot about it (curiously by comparison there has been almost no coverage at all of the earthquake that hit Mexico City a few days ago), but the news reports also make a point of stressing that there is absolutely no reason to panic, that there are two medicaments available that will work against the swine flu, that one is perfectly save to eat pork, and that sufficient stocks of the medication are available.
So summing that up I would say medias over here are not out to scare people even though they do report about the flu. By definition it IS a pandemic (meaning nothing more than that a new illness spreads over several continents), but the spreading alone does not mean the pandemic disease would be more lethal than other pandemic diseases. The death toll in Mexico has been high and there is nothing wrong with informing people (better in this case than ignorance) and take sensible precautions without the whole thing turning into some staged hysteria.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I'll be sure to tell everyone if I catch the swine flu and die. :p  Right now, this new virus is concentrated in Mexico and as far as I've heard, people in different areas of the world are more immune to the disease, and it could be based on what you've been exposed to or eaten.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
^ Not to what you have eaten. We usually don't tend to eat raw pork and that virus is destroyed at 70? Celsius. But even if one did happen to eat a raw pig infested with the swine flu (very likely :rolleyes:) the virus would not be taken up through the alimentary system, it works only through inhalation.

as far as I've heard, people in different areas of the world are more immune to the disease
I'm kind of wondering about that one and now I'm switching from current events to history. Much of the human immune system is based on our living circumstances. When in 16th century the Europeans arrived in the new world they unwittingly brought along uncountable diseases which caused far more deaths than any fighting between "whites" and Native Americans ever did (we are talking of a mass dying that by percentage of victims in the population may have been much worse than for example the "black death" that killed of a third of Europes population in 14th century). When the Europeans arrived in the new world the "exchange" of epidemics was (with very few exceptions) a one way street though. Europeans hardly got any epidemics from the Native Americans to which they had not been exposed before. It is a likely assumption that one of the reasons was that throughout the centuries (and at the cost of many lives to various plagues) the immune system of most Europeans had been confronted with far more diseases than was the case with the Native Americans. One of the reasons was that Europeans had for thousands of years domesticated all kinds of animals (cows, pigs, goats, horses, sheep etc.) and been living in very close contact with these animals and carriers of disease. Apart from some dogs (not known as a main carrier of disease) and lamas there had been hardly any domestication of animals on the part of the Native Americans which could have "prepared" there immune system to all the diseases brought along by the Europeans.
Nowadays however few of us will be exposed to domesticated animals in the way people were in the middle ages or the early modern times and I daresay none of us will live under as unhygienic conditions :p
As a consequence much less people die from diseases nowadays, but I wonder if at the same time our natural immune system is suffering from the lack of "training" caused by the improved hygienic conditions. Some scientists state that living in too sanitary conditions and showering every day (sometimes even repeatedly on one day) will in the long run increase our dependency on synthetic vaccines which have to some degree replaced the "natural training" of our immune system.
This training has partly been replaced by vaccination but through the faster development of vaccines the viruses adapt to the new vaccines faster as well. It is like some kind of ever accelerating race between the two.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I hope the Medical Team finds a solution fast enough to hold up this Swine Flu I was really looking forward  to travel to Florida this year but if this keep up it may not happen.

Vaan360

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Seriously now, I'm speaking for portuguese here only, since Portugal is *cough*safe*cough* because there's no cases detected.

But you're right in one thing, many people do overreact.

Well, my family kinda overeacted when they knew that there had been cases of the decease detected in Spain, and there was also a group of Portuguese's that came from Mexico, but they were tested and there wasn't any signs of the decease on them, so yeah, for now we are safe.
In my opinion, people should be a little more on the look out until this is over, without freaking out or overeacting.
When it's our Health that 's at stake, the careful is never to much.

NaNaNa

• Spike
    • View Profile
Dont you guys remember when avian bird flu and SARS had everyone in a mad frenzy?

When was the last time you heard anyone talk about either of those two?

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I got amoxicillan
I don't mean to be rude but, uh, no you didn't.  Antibiotics are USELESS against virus, especially amoxicillan.  It works by disrupting the formation of peptidoglycan, a very important polymer in the cell membranes of gram-positive bacteria.  Viruses don't use peptidoglycan, they don't even have a traditional phospholipid membrane, using a protein coat instead.  Other antibiotics alter various other functions of a bacteria, but a virus doesn't have any of its own machinery, it hijacks it from whatever cell it has invaded.  This is why viruses are so dangerous, our immune system is really the only thing that can fight them.  This is still being blown out of proportion though.

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
A friend of mine completely freaked out when I mentioned a slight nausea. It was quite funny in some ways, but a little saddening in others.