The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Something makes me wonder if Littlest Pet Shop is going to try to bring in some of the brony community...given that both Hasbro and Hub have probably realized that they have a group of people who can bring in a lot of profit.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Why, oh why, does The Conversion Bureau attract such a huge proportion of s---heads, dumbasses, idiots, f---wads and all around awful people?

Maybe because you have to be an awful person to like stories that advocate genocide?

I absolutely hate these people. They are the worst of the MLP:FiM fandom.

---------

On a sidenote, I'm looking forward to Trixie vs. Twilight magic duel.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,Nov 12 2012 on  06:14 PM
Why, oh why, does The Conversion Bureau attract such a huge proportion of s---heads, dumbasses, idiots, f---wads and all around awful people?

Who knows *shrugs*.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Quote from: Serris,Nov 12 2012 on  06:14 PM

Maybe because you have to be an awful person to like stories that advocate genocide?

I absolutely hate these people. They are the worst of the MLP:FiM fandom.

---------

I honestly don't understand what it is with the Brony fandom and fanfiction in general. I have never seen any other fandom place such a huge emphasis on fanfics as Bronies do. Sure, I've seen some fandoms mention fanfics but not become actual fans of said fanfic or drawing fanart/making movies/writing sequels and/or prequels to said fic.

Now aside from My Little Dashie, the only pony fics I've read have been grimdarks. I've read Cupcakes, Sweet Apple Massacre, and Pattycakes 1 and 2. I really don't see how anyone can consider these stories scary. Unsettling, perhaps, but not scary. Cupcakes was an interesting premise that fell flat when it didn't try to incorporate a story into it in any way, Sweet Apple Massacre was just too unbelievable to possibly take seriously, Pattycakes 1 was the closest to being scary since we see, in graphic detail just how much damage Fluttershy is doing to Dash's mind, and Pattycakes 2 was just stupid. It was nothing more than an over-the-top Saw parody.

I've never read The Conversion Bureau but if these fans are as crazy as you say they are, then maybe I should steer away from it.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: Animeboye,Nov 12 2012 on  08:13 PM
I've never read The Conversion Bureau but if these fans are as crazy as you say they are, then maybe I should steer away from it.
STAY AWAY FROM THE CONVERSION BUREAU; I BEG OF YOU!

Here's the rogue's gallery of s---head TCB fans I've encountered:
  • An anti-Semite who told a Jewish anti-TCB writer to "go die in a fire"
  • An author who accused the anti-TCB group of being transphobic - while casually throwing around homophobic slurs and accusing the anti-TCB group of assorted homoerotic acts
  • A TCB fan with a creepy obsession with Luna and Celestia
  • A TCB author who deleted his story just because it appeared on TVTropes and he hates the site for seemingly no reason at all. Bear in mind the article is neutral towards the story.
  • An  extremely narcissistic TCB author with a persecution complex and a terrible attitude.
Anti-TCB stories (Humans battle the ponies or if the conversion is depicted as a genocide with the instigators being in the wrong) tend to have much more sane fans.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It's things like what you mention in TCB that is so OOC with the ponies and the storyline (Out of plot?---noooo, sit down, puns! Down!) that make me want to be really super careful with my two 'big' Doctor Who fan fictions :/ . It's kind of unsettling that way.

And it makes me want sane reviews who can tell me what needs to be tweaked.

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Me too.

◦The use of a magic mirror pond to create clones is similar to the idea of the G1 comics' baby ponies being "born" from adult ponies who would look into a magic mirror.
◦Also, a face shown by Pinkie Pie may bring some memories of the series before this one. Cue reactions of horror from Fluttershy and Rarity.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm getting really sick of the constant Rainbow Dash bashing that goes on in this fandom. Why is it that every time Rainbow Dash does something "negative" she gets crucified for it while when a character such as Fluttershy does something mean, no one cares? I've heard Bronies refer to Dash as a "jerk", "bitch", "asshole", etc. over things like enjoying the attention she gets or in the latest episode, having a jousting match with Fluttershy.

Now I'm not saying that Rainbow Dash is a perfect character. None of the rest of the Mane Six are either and that's why we love them. And if Dash is such a jerk as Bronies like to say she is, why did she:

.Save Rarity from falling to her death in Sonic Rainboom
.Check up on Pinkie in Party of One
.Stand up for her friends when Gilda was being mean to them in Griffon the Brush Off
.Suggest that she and the rest of the Six go find Applejack and bring her back to Ponyville in The Last Roundup
.Help Fluttershy try to overcome her insecurities when they are the rest of the Pegasai were practicing in Hurricane Fluttershy
.Give credit to Fluttershy in the very same episode
.Help defend Equestria not once, not twice, not three times but FOUR times

That's not to say there weren't moments where I thought Dash was going too far. The way she treated Tank in May the Best Pet win was horrible but that didn't make me hate her. I think people really need to cut her some slack. She's not as bad as everyone likes to say she is.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^It's what I like to call the "Tomboy Curse".  This is from the understanding that tomboys tend to have more "boyish" traits in their personality than most girls.  Because of this, those who are unfamiliar with the tomboy concept see them as "jerks" when these boyish traits in their attitude or personality show up, regardless of how much good they do.

Furthermore, all tomboys suffer from it.

It happened with Cera in LBT.
It happened with Misty in Pokemon.
It happened with Buttercup from Powerpuff Girls
It happened with the Pink Ranger from Power Rangers: Mystic Force (Seriously, with that one they let you know right off the bat she's a tomboy with her stating "I hate pink." in the first episode before she gets her powers.  How ironic it is that she becomes the pink ranger that season.)

It is just simple misunderstanding.  For most of them, they'll stop the whole calling her a jerk thing once they understand what makes a tomboy unique and fascinating.

Until then, you have to sadly put up with it.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Angel needs to chill

I always knew there was something about him that just wasn't right

Dima02

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I had mixed feelings about the premier. The story was good, but it was too similar to Season 2's finale.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Can we please stop constantly talking about the Conservation Bureau?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That was an awesome analysis.
And yeah, people probably did under estimate Sombra. What makes him different from the other villains is that he doesn't waste time.
In a way, he's a bit like Sauron. He doesn't NEED to have a lot of screen time to know he's scary. Just knowing that his power is looming is scary enough.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
What do I want to talk about? Anything but The Conservation Bureau. Like Animeboye, I have no interest in the fic, and I'm perfectly content to just ignore it's existance.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
To be honest, WeirdRaptor, I just don't have much of an interest in fanfics period. It's just hard for me to take fanfics seriously when most of them either A) are Yaoi/yuri fics. B) Have the original cast not even act like themselves C) Disregard canon or D) Don't even attempt to tell a story.  The only fanfics I've gotten some enjoyment out of have been troll fics like Half Life: Full Life Consequences or Doom: Repercussions of Evil. And that's only because they're so bad they're hilarious.

Now I'm not saying all fanfics are bad. I'm sure there are some quality fics out there but the ones I've read really haven't impressed me.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Fair enough. I'm just tired of hearing about the Conservation Bureau on around here. I swear this is the most exposure I've ever had to it.