The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

WMI Provider Host, how to disable it?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm having this little problem with a service called WMI Provider Host. It's sometimes eating up to 10% of my cpu power even though I have disabled the service as suggested by many online articles about this program. Does anyone have any suggestions what I could do to fight this nuisance? cpu can be a bit of a bottleneck on my system so it'd really help me make this laptop a little faster.

[attachments: one is showing a glimpse at my task-manager showing the extensive cpu usage, the other is proof that I disabled the service (deactiviert = disabled, sorry I didn't want to convert my whole system to english for this :P)]
Inactive, probably forever.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Well, I don't have a problem with that process. It always uses 0% CPU on the computer I use. Maybe this website could help with your problem.

I had a similar issue to your problem where I disable Windows Update via services because it always used up so much CPU in my system, but I notice that it appears again in Task Manager. I check the services again, and guess what...Windows Update went from Disabled to Manual (Trigger Start). I found out that this service actually re-enables itself after a certain amount of time. I don't bother reverting the setting anymore since Windows Update doesn't use a lot of CPU anymore or interrupt my current session with updates.

So yeah, weird that the service is running despite showing itself as disabled in the services window.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
This thread is pretty old, but I assume your problem has been solved at this point?

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...