The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Anyone here ever read Tolkien?

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I love Tolkien (not personally), I just enjoy his works.

I've read:

The Hobbit
The Simlarion
The Lord of the Rings
 and the unfinished tales.

As to the movies, there are some parts were I did not like.  For example, the elves at Helms Deep?  How did they get there quick enough (when it took Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli days to reach Rohan) to aid the Rohirrim?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yeah, that does beg the question how they got there so fast. it wasn't in the book, it was just added to up the "action" I guess...Who was your favorite character in the movie.. Mine's Gandalf..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Unless the elves had a teleport device?

Favourite characters in both book and movie verse are:

Sam (For being a true hero and a loyal friend) and Faramir.
Although I do like Sir Ian Mckellen's portrayal as Gandalf.  

Favourite characters in Book verse are:

Eomer and Imrahil.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Saruman was also played well, by the great Christopher Lee, who's been in tons of movies over the years, everything from Dracula to Star Wars. But I digress
 Gollum has always had a special place in my heart, and Andy Serkis played him very well in the film, and will reprise his role in the Hobbit which is coming out neither next year or 2011.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It could be a mistake, or it could be they could do some sort of fastravel thing that Gandalf used in the hobbit to leave the hobbits since he was busy elsewhere too and reappear among or near the dwarves.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I believe in the Hobbit, Gandalf used a horse which he borrowed from Elrond to return to the troll's campsite, and just in the nick of time too..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I recall he also had a tendency to just vanish at times, or something like that in the texts to only reappear.  & he mentions, I think, about knowing he was needed at the time of the trolls.  I'm not sure since I've not read the hobbit in over a decade.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
well he is a wizard after all, and most likely , judging from the timeline, he was probably attending the White Council.. that is what he was late for when he left Bilbo and the dwarves outside of Mirkwood.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That could be a whole book, or movie, in itself,  The White Council.  It was also the name of what was going to be an rpg that ea canceled, or so I read.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It was the temporary name for a RPg that EA later changed to something else.. although It would be cool playing as Saruman  back when he was good..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
What I found on the Council game is that it is on hiatus...they may restart work on it, or they may not..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The Hobbit will do well, very well, that much is guaranteed. Mackellan will most likely play Gandalf again, aand Andy Serkis will play Gollum again. the question who will play the 13 dwarves...and Smuag..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I vote Clancy Brown for the voice of Smaug.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
that is a pretty large cast, though most of the dwarfs are not main characters, but hopefully, they'll still get skilled actors to do them and especially the main characters.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What about who is playing Bilbo for 'The Hobbit' movie?  

Or has someone already been choosen?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
James Earl Jones could be another Great cast for Smaug, he's done evil guys before.. as for who's playing Bilbo, we don't know yet. it won't be Ian Holm, though, he's too old..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wonder if they'll use the actor who did Bilbo in the Lord of the Rings movies or if they'll choose a different one, I guess a different one, though Bilbo not supposed to have aged since he found the one ring.  A thing that I think set Gandalf into thinking that what Bilbo had was one of the greater rings of power then one of the lesser rings.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh yes, James Earl Jones would be wonderful to play Smaug.  

I remember browsing the internet once and saw a thread that was titled 'Who do you want to play as....'

Over the roles for the characters in the Hobbit.

Some one mentioned Tim Curry.  

Personally, I don't find Tim Curry that evil to begin with nor is he someone who I actually find a decent actor.  James Earl Jones however, oh yes. In my opinion dragons should have deep voices.

What about the trolls: William, Bert and Tom?