The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Racing the Storm

Pterano · 1020 · 76208

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Vergil was practically smothered as Triste was all over him like butter on bread. She was clearly proving her part, and he struggled to reciprocate, kissing her just as deeply as he could, if making it a bit of a delayed reaction in the end. She was exploring his chest as well, rubbing her hand down his shirt and causing him to shiver a bit before in tingles she pulled back, the gecko gasping for breath as he hadn't been prepared for the kiss.

"Whew! Well... that uh... that answers that question!" Vergil responded energetically. "As for these people I have faith in... better to show than tell..." Digging out his phone, he first dialed Tony...

Tony noticed the incoming call from Vergil, and quickly broke off the conversation. "Oh, sorry! Getting Vergil's call now! I'll talk to you shortly!" Putting the call on hold, the ferret answered the gecko. "Hey Vergil! How'd your trip go! Find out anything new?" Tony asked.

"Tony... you driving from the sounds of it? Pull over... we need to talk..."

A few hours later, Vergil was sitting with Triste at a cafe in Corona's heart, but he'd managed to secure a private table usually reserved for VIPs that was well removed from the other patrons of the cafe. A TV was replaying the afternoon's events with some degree of urgency. It turned out that a firefight had developed between police and the terrorists, which both Vergil and Triste knew were part of Kalis's force. But they had been good... almost too good. They'd been on the verge of escaping when the authorities had blocked off the exits. It was then bombs were detonated under the floors of the archives, showing the level of planning and training these guys had. No trace of them was found after that, and 65 people were left dead or seriously injured. It was the first major terrorist attack in Corona's recent history, and was the biggest news event of the day. Already measures were being taken to prevent something like this from recurring...

Vergil had called everyone, and had told them the bare minimum of details, but had impressed upon them that it was extremely urgent, and that he needed their help to curb the coming disaster, explaining the security of the world was at stake. They were all familiar with Kalis by now, and this latest news item was a refresher, if anything. He'd asked them to meet him in the Cafe Verona, and so here he was, ready to introduce those who showed up to Triste and let her get a read on them for herself.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Marita, Rose and Marie entered the cafe as Broadstreet appeared on TV, making clear that the  police were examining the video of the incident and were hunting down leads.. Rose noticed Vergil and led the girs over to him ' Hi Vergil, you sounded pretty urgent on the phone ' Marita said as she took a seat at the table. " so what is this all about?' she asked, as Rose and Marie took seats as well.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
By this time, Lily had made the trip out to Carriage Hills, to the typical two-floor suburban house whose address was given on the 'Search for Ejlert' website. Gulping softly, she glanced at the warm-colored brass door-knocker and tried to work up the courage to knock it.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
When Lily had emerged from the computer room, Axel was in the kitchen, using the phone to try and find someone who could look after Rio while they were gone, despite Rio's protests that he could stay and watch the house. Unfortunately, the only neighbors who answered were a family across the street who were recovering from an incident involving someone using their dinner table as a springboard. Vergil's phonecall had come just after Axel had hung up. It sounded serious, to put it lightly. With no other options, they'd decided that Axel would go to meet Vergil, while Rio accompanied Lily to the address she'd found, on the condition that he stayed quiet and didn't get in her way. He'd agreed.

"Come on, what are you waiting for?" Rio demanded now, as he stood beside Lily and waited for her to knock. He still didn't quite understand what was going on between her, the rat and the person who's house they were standing outside, but he knew nothing was going to get solved by standing around. "You haven't seen this guy for a long time, right? So he's probably gonna be really happy to see you!" Rio tried.

------------------------------------------------

Axel stepped out of the taxi and made his way across the street to Cafe Verona. Spotting the gecko seated on the far side in the VIP section he crossed the cafe, suddenly feeling a little self conscious in his slightly rumpled T-Shirt and jeans amongst the more well-dressed clients. Raising a hand in a wave, he approached the table and gave the group a nervous smile. "Hey guys! It's, ah... it's been a while..." He nudged Marita's shoulder and nodded at the other two girls. "Good to see you three are still sticking together."

Axel took a seat next to Marita and turned to face the two geckos on the other side of the table. The one he didn't recognise, a light green spider gecko, stared at him unblinkingly, her yellow eyes seeming to evaluate him. The red stripe across her face gave the gecko the appearance of someone who didn't have a lot of fun in life. Axel blinked uncomfortably. "Ah... hello," he said eventually.

Triste nodded at him but didn't say anything for the moment.

"Alright then." Axel looked at Vergil and smiled. "Hey, I came as soon as I could. Lily couldn't be here right now, she's, ah... she has something to take care of for the moment. Hopefully she'll meet up with us later." He swallowed, his fingers tapping on the table nervously. "So, ah... this didn't exactly sound like good news..."

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Tony pulled up a bit later, still in the Delahaye. Vergil had sounded serious... much more serious than he'd been in the months following Lanthae. Parking on the street outside the cafe, the ferret jogged across the street, making sure to check traffic in both directions before he threaded his way into the cafe, trying his best to move swiftly but not bowl anyone over either.

"Hey Vergil!" he waved, noting the trio was here, as was Axel. Soren was the only one missing so far. He hadn't had a chance to check in on Anne yet, but depending on what this news was, he might get to see her later tonight.

"Hi everyone... it's good to see you again." Vergil cracked a small smile, and looked around at the gathered group. "It's not good news I'm afraid. First off, this is Agent Triste Acyle, with the Ivitz Federation. She found me after my return here earlier today... and that attack you saw at the archives... that was us... more specifically... Kalis's men hunting us. She knows who I am... and about my past. I got answers today, and it turns out, we used to work together as part of an elite squad several years ago. But rather than go into my past... we instead need to talk about Kalis..." the white gecko said gravely here.

"You know the basic history about Rex Sardolemuel's rebellion, but it turns out, while Rex was launching his attacks against the Federation, he was looking for something else. I'll fill Soren in when he gets here, but time is kind of of the essence. I was a spy in Rex's fleet, reporting back to Ivitz on his search for a location called Torment's Cataract. This place has been lost to history... except the civilization that once had a city there created a series of waypoints to find it. They hid themselves well... perhaps rightly so, for they had constructed a warship so massive, just picture the entire sky being blotted out by this thing, OK? 4,000 square miles... making it a virtual small country in size. Its power would be beyond imagination, and needless to say, it could lead whoever possessed it to dominate this planet and everyone on it."

Tony stared wide-eyed at the description of the ship, and nervously ordered a scotch from a passing waiter that he managed to just barely flag down. Vergil waited for it to sink in, then continued. "So anyway, the civilization was wiped out before they could use it, and Rex died before he could find its location, but Kalis is still seeking it. In my mind is the location of about half of these waypoints, since I witnessed them being found. I can't remember everything, but I know where the first one is. I've decided to help the Federation stop Kalis before he finds Torment's Cataract first, but I can't do it alone. I need a team... and since I don't fully trust the Federation at present... who else could I turn to but you guys? You guys were pretty phenomenal in getting Lily her body back, and also helping to attack the Purifier base... twice. I'm gonna need backup... not just because I trust you guys, but because I need people who I know will have my back. This mission isn't about my past or who I am... it's about stopping Kalis from finding this ship. If he gets it... it won't matter what we're doing with our lives. It'll all end. Not just our lives and livelihood, but everyone else on this planet too. I'm sorry to have to ask... you all have lives now... families even... and I'd be taking you away from that. But I wouldn't ask if this wasn't serious, guys."

Vergil looked at each of them now. "Our lives mean nothing if Kalis beats us. None if it will matter. He'll wipe out the Federation, and with it, every person on this planet who doesn't openly submit to him. I understand if you want to say no... I won't blame you, nor hold it against you." Vergil stated sincerely, looking from one to the other. "You have lives... I get it, I understand. If you want out... I'll go with a team from the Federation instead... but I'd rather have people I know and trust with me as opposed to total strangers. You might say it's not your problem, and you're right... it's not. But once Kalis finds Torment's Cataract, it'll be everyone's problem. For the sake of all life... we gotta try, right?" he pleaded.

By now, Tony's drink had come, and he gulped, taking a silent sip as he waited for someone else to speak first to break the tension, which was so thick the ferret felt like a chainsaw would be needed to cut it.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i'll help you' Marita said, breaking the silence as a waiter brought the table some drinks.' i will as well Rose said a few seconds later "i've come too far now to let some warlord take over the world! this is my home, and i'm not going  to let it be destroyed." well count me in too' marie said' just out of curiosity.. how long do we have to find all these relics? Are we talking days? weeks?"
- we have to find the locations first' Marita replied "given that this ship is 4000 miles in area, and given its power, it will have to be hidden somewhere big enough to contain it  and remote enough to make it hard to find. there aren't that many locations on earth big enough to hide something that big. one of the 5 major oceans or the Sahara desert, come to mind." she turned to Triste' Hello, i'm Marita Jones, these are my girlfriends Rose and Marie. we';ll be happy to assist you in finding the locations you are after.this kalis guy  well he sounds like a real nasty piece of work. we'll help in anyway we can."
-

Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Lily swallowed. "You're right...." Slowly, she grasped the brass knocker and rapped the door.

After a few tense minutes, she made to knock again when the sallow man from the television opened. "Yes? How can...?" He trailed off. "Lily???"

Lily fidgeted nervously. "Hi Denny..."

Denny was gaping like a fish. He stumbled backwards and almost slammed the door shut on her "How are you...how could you be...?"

"It's a long story..." Lily said shyly. "I lost my memory, so I didn't--and don't-- remember anything about you, our kids, or this house. I came because I heard about Ejlert."

Denny was still dumbfounded. "You're alive! Did you tell anyone? We could make headlines!"

"Don't tell anyone!" Lily interjected. "Please Denny. Its more complicated than you think. I came to help find Ejlert. May I come in?"

Denny blinked. "Of course, of course." He held the door open all the way, and Lily walked into her old house.

She marveled at the otherwise unremarkable simplicity of everything. How long had she lived here? How often must she have cleaned every item in this house, items that sparked no sense of familiarity whatsoever?

"Who's the, uh, the boy?" Asked Denny, who had not extended the open door to Rio.

"Rio is a friend of mine," Lily called from the kitchen.

Since Lily was gone, Denny coldly grabbed Rio by the collar and pulled him off his feet with a strength unintuitive from his thin frame. "You touch anything in this house and I will make you regret it..." he snarled, his face twisting into a ferocious grimace void of warmth or restraint. Dismissively he tossed the urchin back to the ground and followed his wife.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Axel swallowed as he leaned forwards, staring at his fingers as they flexed nervously against the table. Lost civilizations... a gigantic warship.... being intrusted with a mission like this... It was a lot to take in. He'd barely managed to get out of the last situation alive, and all he'd wanted to do was settle down with Lily and live a quiet life. But Axel had seen first hand what Kalis was capable of... and if Vergil was right, if Kalis was trying to find this warship, then there wouldn't be any life to settle down to.

He nodded slowly at what Marita and her girlfriends said, then looked across at Vergil. "So... no pressure then." He sighed. Given what was at stake... it wasn't like it was something he could refuse. "Alright then," Axel said eventually. "I, ah... I guess I'm in. I've got your back, Vergil." He paused. "But, ah, you know. Maybe try to keep it out of danger as much as you can?"

Her hands folded on the table in front of her, Triste looked between the lanky rat, the three women and the well-dressed ferret. Her expression remained blank for the time being. Turning her gaze to Tony, she waited to hear what he would say.

--------------------------------------------

Rio landed with a thump as Denny dropped him to the floor, his knee crying out in pain as he landed awkwardly. A shocked expression was plastered on his face as the adult walked away. He'd met his fair share of violent adults, of course... but the change in Denny's personality had been so sudden that for the moment, Rio was speechless. And the expression on his face...

After a moment of lying on the floor where he'd been dropped, the boy got to his feet and started to make his way along the corridor down which Lily had disappeared, and where Denny had followed. The man's voice kept replaying in Rio's mind. Of course he'd be wary about a stranger inside his house. Even Rio could understand that. But there was something else... something in Denny's voice... Rio's stomach tightened. Something was wrong in this house. He just didn't know what. Following behind Denny, Rio kept his arms close to his body, frightened of touching anything, of turning Denny's attention back on him. His eyes darted around, taking in the corridors they were walking down, the furniture, the doors that branched off from their path. They approached a large bookcase set into the left side of the corridor, and he looked it up and down as they passed. The bookcase was thick and heavy, the shelved filled with rows upon rows of old books. Rio's eyes flicked down, and he felt a small jolt run up his body.  He slowed his pace, his already quiet footsteps fading to silence as he eventually stopped dead. Ahead of him, Denny continued on in Lily's direction, oblivious to the fact that he was no longer leading Rio.

By the bookcase, scratches had been gouged into the wooden floor, lining up with the legs of the heavy furniture. From the marks, Rio could tell that the bookcase had been pulled forwards, multiple times, the legs of the bookshelf betraying their constant use. Is... is something behind?

Biting his lip, Rio held back as Denny continued onwards, rounding the corner and moving out of sight. He waited a few seconds, then retraced his steps, shifting back silently to the bookcase. Rio turned, standing directly in front of it, and looked it up and down. From here, there was nothing immediately wrong with it. It just looked like a normal piece of furniture set back against the wall. So why did he have a sick feeling in his stomach? Glancing back to make sure he was still alone, Rio edged to the side of the bookcase and ran his hands along the back of it. It wasn't set flush against the wall. There was a gap. He pressed his face against the gap between the rear of the shelf and the wall. It was too dark, he couldn't see... Yes! Something... something was there... He squinted, but couldn't quite make out what was behind.

Gritting his teeth, Rio hesitantly pressed his fingers against the back shelf of the case and pulled it outwards, slowly, trying to make sure that it didn't make any noise. There was a small, tiny screech and Rio flinched... but luckily, it seemed Denny hadn't heard anything. Breathing a silent sigh of relief, the boy kept pulling, and eventually the bookcase had slid out far enough for Rio to get a good look at what lay behind. A metal, heavy-looking sliding door. Rio paused, trying to understand what was going on. What possible use could there be for this door? Why was it hidden? Hesitantly, Rio slowly pressed himself into the small gap he'd created and pushed the sliding door open, inch by inch, trying not to make a sound. The door was well oiled, and it slid open silently, revealing an inky blackness behind it. Rio could just about make out a set of wooden steps leading down, and a musty, damp smell wafted up. He wrinkled his nose. His mind was screaming at him to just leave this alone, to just close the door, push the case back and leave it alone. Biting his lip, Rio slowly stepped down into the darkness, feeling his way down, the steps creaking below him ever so slightly.

After about 15 steps, his trainers crunched on a stone floor. The air was cold, frigid. In the darkness, Rio strained his ears, but there was nothing. Even the sounds of Lily and Denny talking upstairs had faded to absolutely nothing. Taking another nervous step forwards, something tapped his face, and Rio almost cried out in shock, stopping himself just in time. After a second, he realised it was a light switch, attached to a string. Swallowing, his throat dry as sand, he reached up and pulled it. The light flicked on, bathing the room in a sickly yellow glow.

Rio felt his blood freeze at what he saw.

He was standing at the entrance to a decent sized basement, rectangular shaped. From the ceiling dangled a bare light bulb. Along the left side of the basement was placed a row of cramped wire cages, the doors firmly shut with padlocks holding them closed. At first, desperate thoughts that perhaps Denny North kept animals in these tiny cages flitted through his mind. Then he looked across the rest of the room. At the far end of the room was some sort of wooden table, metal manacles connected to the four corners by chains. A thick-looking bag had been left on the table's surface, and coiled on the floor next to it was a dirty garden hose, hooked up to a tap in the wall. Water was pooled on the table's surface, and the bag looked damp, as if it had recently been soaked.

Closer to Rio was a wooden chair, bolted to the floor. Leather straps were set into the arms of the chair. Placed neatly on the floor next to the chair was a set of industrial looking clamps, and draped across the back of the chair was a plastic bag, softly rustling from the breeze drifting down from the staircase, worn as if someone had been struggling inside it. Rio felt his stomach churn as he looked closer at the ends of the chair's armrests and noticed faint scratches in the wood.

Other objects in the basement lay hidden in the gloom, but Rio didn't stop to look at them. Feeling his heart starting to rise into his throat, his stomach roiling, he wheeled around and stumbled back up the wooden steps.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Tony realized Triste was looking right at him, and he gulped again. "Uh... yeah! Of course! I mean I'm not about to let Kalis fuck up my life, after all! Not after things finally seem to be getting back on track! I'm in!" he nodded here.

"Great! Thanks, guys! I knew I could count on you... and well yes... we'll watch each others' backs to keep each other out of trouble. But uh... given that it's a cataract, I'd say it's in the ocean somewhere, or a large body of water. It's surrounded by electromagnetic interference though, making any scans on it impossible, so its location is pretty much unknown. But we'll find it... we have to find it. So I know the location of the first waypoint at least... it's the ruins of an ancient civilization... which existed at the same time as the civilization that built the ship. It'll take a bit of trekking so to speak... but we'll find it. Oh and uh... what about Lily, Axel?" Vergil asked the rat here, turning his gaze to him.

Tony downed the scotch, not caring if it would hit him pretty fast. Wow... the final showdown to save the world, huh? Wouldn't be the first time he'd done something like this... still, better order another scotch, just to be safe.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Soren sighed as he rubbed his cheek. His body ached all over. He was very thankful he was still wearing his protective gear from when he worked with the augments or he'd probably be nursing several busted ribs.

"CafÈ Verona." The driver parked in front of the very upscale Italian resturaunt.

Soren paid his fare and stepped out. He looked at the suits and fancy gowns everyone wore. A Lexus LF-A passed him.

He sighed. "Let's get this over with."

The man walked through the front entrance without so much as a peep from the waiter. Instead, he was escorted to the table where Marita and the others were. "Sorry I'm late. I just got back from dropping Anne off at the rehab center."

He winced as he sat down.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Hello, Soren." Vergil gave the human a smile, and nodded at him. "Glad you could make it." Vergil began relaying the info that'd been discussed to Soren. Tony was rather eager to hear about Anne, but that would have to wait for the moment. Instead, he struck up a conversation with the others, beginning to talk about life in Corona and some things he previously had on the agenda in the days ahead before his plans were put on hold. However, as he talked, conversation swung round to the Zaloga Corporation, one of the four main weapons' manufacturers in the city. Tony had an appointment with them tomorrow, as his father was trying to secure shipping rights to their goods. So far talks hadn't gone anywhere, but that's why his father was sending him in to try and get a better response.

As Zaloga came up however, Vergil couldn't help but overhear it as he wound down his briefing with Soren. "Zaloga... Zaloga..." he said softly, staring off into the distance. "Why does that...?" Suddenly, the gecko was hit by another memory, this one becoming as fresh in his mind as pine needles on a winter day.

Rex and Kalis were seated in a waiting room somewhere... but as the memory became clearer, Vergil could see the Zaloga Corporation's red and black logo emblazoned on some tapestries. Kalis, who was in his natural gargoyle gecko form, fidgeted uneasily in the chair.

"Rex..." he started to say. "Are you sure about this? Do we really need such power? Something just feels... off about this... it's not right. We could face court martial and death if they find out we're pursuing this..." he stated nervously.

"You sense it too, huh?" Rex responded with a smile. "Don't worry... it'll be fine. And we're already risking it all to end this war anyway, my friend. Chances are pretty good we're gonna face a court martial regardless. May as well take that first step, right? Would you rather another ten years of war?" the red gecko asked with some concern.

"No... I-I guess not." Kalis stammered, shaking his head. "But still... this is... I dunno..." he trailed off as an impeccably dressed blue gecko entered the room now.

"Brother! It's good to see you again!" The blue gecko Vergil recognized as Mace, Rex's brother, and CEO of Zaloga Corporation. "You said you needed my help with something?"

"Yes, brother, and it's a matter of some urgency." Rex rose to standing now and shook his brother's hand. "You told me once about the strange ruins under this building... and what you had found down there. The map... I need access to it..."

Mace's pleasant demeanor melted into one of uncertainty now, his confident look gone. "Brother it's dangerous down there... I already told you..."

"I know... but it's a risk I'm willing to take. Please, Mace... I need to see what's down there for myself..."

The vision faded and Vergil gasped. "Wait!" he exclaimed to the group now, holding his head. "Wait, wait, wait! I just... I remembered something!" His hand shot out. "Zaloga! I know how Rex found out about the waypoints in the first place! Guys... there's a waypoint right here... in Corona!" he breathed, looking intensely at them. "Rex's brother Mace is CEO of Zaloga... and I just saw him talking to Mace about a map that's hidden under Zaloga's headquarters... Mace must've found it and told his brother about it! That's how Rex found out about Torment's Cataract... and the warship! Guys we can start our search right here... in this city!"

Tony bit his lower lip. "Zaloga? Damn... I was supposed to meet with them tomorrow on business..."

"Perfect cover!" Vergil cut in, not giving Tony a chance to finish. "We could go as your you know... attaches, bodyguards, whatever, and while you're meeting with them... or something, we could find a way down there and locate the waypoint!"

"That's... well... I'm sure security..." Tony stumbled.

"But it's our only chance, and a damn good excuse to gain access to that building, if you ask me! What do you guys say?" Vergil asked, looking eagerly around at the group as a smile began playing about his lips.

(runner up)
(runner up)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Denny walked into the kitchen to see Lily examining silverware. "Could I get you something to drink?" he asked politely.

"Um, sure," Lily answered, putting the silverware back quickly. "How about...my favorite?" She was curious to see if her favorite drink, whatever it was, affected her memory.

Denny took some blueberry-pomegranate juice out of the refrigerator, and surreptitiously grabbed a small vial from a hidden drawer under the counter. "So...you don't remember anything of living here?" he asked, keeping his tone neutral.

"Oh no, nothing at all," Lily admitted. "I'm hoping that my visit could jog my memory."

"Your visit?" Denny brought her the glass of juice. "You don't plan on staying? What about your children?"

"The children!" Lily was about to take a drink, but stopped when they were mentioned. "Can I see them? Where are they?"

"They're up in their rooms. Aside from Ejlert of course..." Denny pushed her juice towards her. "Drink up, and then we can go see them..."

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Soren shuddered. He then took a gulp of ice water. "Let me guess, you want me to come along?"

He then looked at Tony. "Don't get me wrong but I just want to have a normal life."

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Axel glanced over at the human. "But Soren, if Kalis manages to get to this... Cataract... then none of us are going to be able to have a normal life." He shook his head. "Now that we know about all this, there's... I wouldn't be able to sit out and hope someone else fixes it. Not when the lives of the people I care about... Lily, you guys... Not when they could all be at stake."

He looked back at Vergil and nodded, though his expression wasn't quite as eager as the one plastered over the gecko's face. "Yeah, that... that sounds like it's a lead, at least. But Tony's right. Even if we pretend we're meant to be there with him, it's not like they'll just let us look around. I mean, ah... there's bound to be some sort of security systems in place. How are we gonna get around those?"

-----------------------------------

Rio reached the top of the basement stairs and quickly wriggled out from behind the bookcase, his chest heaving as he took deep breaths. Down there, the air had seemed dead, lifeless. After a moment, he went to head down the direction Lily had taken, but then considered and pushed the bookcase back first, gritting his teeth as he heaved against its weight. If Denny came back and discovered he'd been down there...

When it was close to its original position, Rio took a step back and pushed his hair out of his eyes. He swallowed, trying to calm himself and adopt a neutral expression, then set off down the corridor. He eventually arrived at the kitchen, where Denny and Lily were stood talking. He could feel his heart thumping at the sight of the man, but he fought to think straight. She said she lost her memory... I have to tell her about it... With Denny around though, there was no way he could say anything. He bit his lip as he stood in the kitchen doorway, trying to think what to do.

"Lily..." Rio started to whine as Lily was about to take a drink from the juice. His voice shook slightly but he tried to play off against it, putting on a show of fidgeting uncomfortably. "I... I really need the toilet. I didn't go before we left... could... could you come with me? I'm scared of going alone," he said plaintively. Rio locked eyes with Lily, trying to get his message across. "Please?"

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Soren swirled his glass of water around. Axel had a point. Not to mention, he recalled what happened to Lanthae just a few months ago.

He templed his hands and let out a sigh. "How bad is this gonna be? Can we just escape from this impending clusterfuck? I'm kinda not interesting in playing action hero again."

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i can n handle security if it becomes a problem' Marita chimed in ' the trick is to get enough info so know where to start looking. As it turns out Zaloga is one of the groups my employer is very interested in. so hopefully i can get us some info from them.. we're in this for the long haul Soren so i suggest we get packed up for a lengthy trip we're going to be going places..'look i rather not be doing this either i'd rather be living a quiet life with my two girlfriends, have a place to live, raise a family down the line, all that normal stuff. ' but this kalis guy threatens literally everything, we cant ignore that, just because we want to stay out of it,. that die is cast i'm afraid,
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Soren sighed. "Well, when you put it that way..."

He took another sip of his water. Great, he thought. My life's gonna go to shit, again!

"Anyways, how long is this gonna take? I don't want Anne coming out of rehab and into an empty apartment or worse, coming after me because she thinks I tried to get rid of her."

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"We'll have to figure that out of course but actually... before that..." Vergil turned to Soren here. "No one's gonna make you come along of course, but we can't run from this. Ivitz is the only nation powerful enough to stop Kalis, and if he gets his hands on that warship, it's over." he explained. "Won't matter where you run to... he'll take that thing to every continent until he has achieved total domination." the gecko said acidly.

"Hey... as for Anne... I don't want her thinking that either... in fact... I was gonna go visit her if it was OK with you... let her know there are people who care about her and want to see her stop destroying her life." Tony put in sincerely. "I want to visit frequently too... no matter how long this takes."

"Could take awhile, depending on how much traveling we'll need to do." Vergil mused aloud. "Anyway, the first waypoint is right here, which leads me to you..." he turned to look at Triste. "Surely the Federation has schematics for Zaloga's HQ... as well as ways of bypassing its no doubt extensive security?" he inquired hopefully, raising his brows here.

(runner up)
(runner up)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Lily was about to take a sip of the juice, but stopped because Rio entered, clearly needing assistance. "Oh! Of course." She turned to Denny. "Where is the restroom?"

"Head into the dining room, it's the door on the right," Denny replied. His eyes narrowed as he watched Lily put the cup down and cross to the dining room.

"Right over there--" Lily started to say to Rio, when Denny grabbed her hand. "--Come on," he said pleasantly. "Let's go see your children. They're upstairs in their room..."

Lily was a bit startled, but acquiesced. "It's been far too long since they've seen their mother..." she admitted, starting up the stairs with Denny.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Triste nodded. "Of course. By tomorrow we'll be able to provide a plan for the building, as well as some form of clearance for each of you. Including the North woman if she decides to accompany us."

Axel blinked. "Just like that?"

"Just like that, Mr. Whent." She leaned forwards and raised her voice. "You're all here because Vergil's vouched for each of you. Personally, I would have preferred to bring qualified Ivitz agents on this assignment, but we have enough faith in his judgement that if trusts in your abilities, it's worth a shot." Triste looked at each member of the group sitting across the table from her. "But, since I'm sure by now you understand the gravity of the situation, I'll be watching each of you. If I feel that any of you will be a liability to the mission, you'll be out."

----------------------------------

Crap... Rio chewed the inside of his cheek. "But... I..." His palms sweating, he followed them to the foot of the stairs. To the left of the bottom step, set against the wall, was a small cabinet on which was placed a vase containing a bunch of flowers. Rio paused by it it, then looked up as Lily and Denny headed upstairs. Both of their backs were to him. So far, Denny had seemed calmer around Lily...

Rio pushed the vase off the cabinet then quickly took a few steps up the stairs, pressing a hand to his mouth as if in shock as it smashed on the floor. The flowers scattered, water pooling around them. "Oh! I'm... I'm so sorry! It was an accident!" he stuttered, turning big eyes to the two adults. Come on... come clean it up...