The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My Server is Coming Down for a Few Days

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Honestly, I've really slacked when making my LBT server.  I didn't think it would get this popular and with only 72GB of space left on it, I must explore ways to expand it.  It has been stored on my computer with 2 1TB(1000GB) hard drives in it, but I've realized that I shouldn't be using a server like this without a server OS on it.  I'm switching to windows server 2003 (or perhaps windows 2000 if I can find the drivers for 1TB SATA hard drives for it) and I need to get it off my system of everyday use.  I did originally just make a small portion of my main server available to GOF, however for security reasons I moved it to my master machine in my office.  My master machine's nothing fancy (too lazy to switch with one of my better computers) so I've decided to upgrade to a newer model and just have my server in one corner.  The problem is that I need to switch my master machine in my office before I can bring the server back online and I've been using it for YEARS so there's a lot of stuff to back up.  I'll probably bring down the server in less than 24 hours so if there's an LBT TV ep or something that you can't live without for a few days, you'd better download it now. :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
What have you been putting on there that takes 2 TB of space?  :wacko:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Jun 14 2008 on  05:07 AM
What have you been putting on there that takes 2 TB of space?  :wacko:
That's what I'd like to know too.

And sorry to hear that, LBTlover.  Hope you have it back up soon. :)

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Make that three of us.  :o
Okay matey, I hope you get it back up and running again soon.  :)
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What have you been putting on there that takes 2 TB of space?

Well, remember that this IS the master computer in my office.  I've been using it for years, storing videos and downloads on it and not really bothering to clean it up. -_- I'm paying the price for that now.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I created a backup server.  It is in place of the original, however it is NOT pretty.  All the files that were on the old server are on the backup server as well, but it's nothing but a backup.  The folders are not named the same and it's missing a lot of features (such as the ability to upload).  I would have mentioned it earlier, but I forgot that I had made it.  When you do go to lbtserver.2myip.net from now to a day or so, this will NOT be the permanent server so please don't go complaining to me that uploads aren't working.  I will not allow uploads on this temporary server.  It's only purpose is to download everything that's uploaded from the main server to create an identical copy, nothing more.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
You must've downloaded all the anime on the world wide web. :o

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Or at least the good anime and personal favorites, movies, various programs.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You must've downloaded all the anime on the world wide web.

Naw.  I like high quality copies.  Heck, just all of the Inuyasha TV episodes were 200GB and I want them in English AND Japanese.  That's 400GB right there.  Do you even have a 500GB external hard drive?  If not, go get one and you'll be surprised how quickly it fills up.  

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I'm only halfway through a 250gb drive thank you very much. :)  DVD+R backups of course.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Most of my stuff is on cd-r's, and some dvd's, though my external hard drive is small, around 60 or 70 gig it's not to full and I've been using it for a few years. Though I do plan on getting a 250-500 gig external hard drive within a year or so, it should last quite a few years before it gets full.  I guess  some prefer having things on a hdd as apposed to on discs.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Honestly, backup on CDs and DVDs is risky.  I used to do that, but after losing lots of valuable files because they got corrupted, I've switched to HD/Flash backup only.  I still backup some things on CDs and DVDs, but only the CDs and DVDs I get from the store because I can't play a file that's on my hard drive on my DVD player. :p Take for example my LBT DVDs.  I've made an exact duplicate of every one of them and put them in the DVD case instead of the original.  That way, the copy can get corrupted after a few years of playing it, NOT the original.