The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A New Land Before Time Screen Saver

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I've created a new land before time screensaver.  This one is much more practical than the other one's I've created.  It is rather simple in design, however I like this one the best out of all the other one's I've created.  You may view a video of it in action before downloading it if you wish:

http://www.vidilife.com/index.cfm?f=media....405-C&action=12

If you liked what you saw, you may download it here:

http://www.driveway.com/q6d9e4e1s5

Cheers! :D

NOTE:  I do not think this screensaver is compatible with mac computers.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Cool! Well done! What program did you use?

NOTE:
I couldn't get to open the whole page though... A virus varning!?
I'm not blaming anyone, not at all, but I thougt you should now.

/Lillefot
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
NOTE:
I'm not blaming you, not at all, but I thougt you should now.

I advice anyone without a proper firewall and ANTi Virus programs to go carefull ahead!

I suspect your computer is reacting to download.com's server.  They do things that's not exactly normal for a download site like accessing things that your computer finds to be risky, however any computer that's not totally security obsessed shouldn't get any warnings.  

Also, I understand that some users have problems with driveway.com.  It mainly has to do with what kind of browser you're using and if you have file extensions turned on or off.  If you have file extensions turned on (meaning a file says something like "cool.jpg" instead of just "cool"), your computer will save the file download by driveway without any extension and will not know how to handle the downloaded file.  To solve this, you must put the download extension at the end of the file name when you click "save" on the download dialog box.  In this case, the extension is ".exe".  Most people don't have to do this, but some do.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
This screensaver looks like some kind of self-playing, hypnotic arcanoid game.  Well done. :)

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Apr 5 2008 on  12:55 PM
NOTE:
I'm not blaming you, not at all, but I thougt you should now.

I advice anyone without a proper firewall and ANTi Virus programs to go carefull ahead!

I suspect your computer is reacting to download.com's server.  They do things that's not exactly normal for a download site like accessing things that your computer finds to be risky, however any computer that's not totally security obsessed shouldn't get any warnings.  

Also, I understand that some users have problems with driveway.com.  It mainly has to do with what kind of browser you're using and if you have file extensions turned on or off.  If you have file extensions turned on (meaning a file says something like "cool.jpg" instead of just "cool"), your computer will save the file download by driveway without any extension and will not know how to handle the downloaded file.  To solve this, you must put the download extension at the end of the file name when you click "save" on the download dialog box.  In this case, the extension is ".exe".  Most people don't have to do this, but some do.

Sorry, me and computers don't mix on that matter.
I'm just upset cause I've lost important work... My teacher's gonna kill me! lol
By posting that note, I just did what I thought was right. I'm very sorry if any trouble, bad feelings or missjudgement came out of this, not my intention...

Have a continued great day, all of you.

/Lillefot

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Most likely explorer.exe crashed.  This can be caused by the user attempting to display a page that is incompatible with their browser.  In severe cases, when explorer.exe crashes, you lose all of your unsaved work and all of your windows close.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Apr 5 2008 on  04:02 PM
Most likely explorer.exe crashed.  This can be caused by the user attempting to display a page that is incompatible with their browser.  In severe cases, when explorer.exe crashes, you lose all of your unsaved work and all of your windows close.
I don't know, ZONE Alarm and AvasT just went crazy...

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
When did this happen?  When you visited the website or when you tried to download the file?  Try using mozilla firefox, which can be downloaded here.

I know from experience that Zone alarm is way too sensitive to everything.  It gives you security messages all the time when you don't need them.  As for Avast, it is also very sensitive (although not as sensitive as zone alarm).  I personally use AVG and Spybot.  The combination of those two programs will keep any computer 100% safe.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Apr 5 2008 on  04:07 PM
When did this happen?  When you visited the website or when you tried to download the file?  Try using mozilla firefox, which can be downloaded here.

I know from experience that Zone alarm is way too sensitive to everything.  It gives you security messages all the time when you don't need them.  As for Avast, it is also very sensitive (although not as sensitive as zone alarm).  I personally use AVG and Spybot.  The combination of those two programs will keep any computer 100% safe.
1. when I opened the link to the page, not the download file.
2. I will, when I'll buy my own laptop in some months.
3. About the anti-programs, I think I'll have a chat with my dumb"..." old man on that matter! Yes, both of the programs are pains!

/Lillefot

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I am now 100% certain that it is a browser issue with the website, not an issue with the file.  You were most likely trying to view a page with a type of javascript your browser doesn't support.  When did you last download updates?

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Apr 5 2008 on  04:17 PM
I am now 100% certain that it is a browser issue with the website, not an issue with the file.  You were most likely trying to view a page with a type of javascript your browser doesn't support.  When did you last download updates?
Woa, I don't know! Your asking the wrong person here!

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
"Not CPU intensive" sound good to me!  Nothing worse than a computer doing nothing, generating tons of noise (on most computers anyway.  I built my computer to be virtually silent) trying to keep itself cool because the screensaver is using CPU and graphics cards to their maximum. :p

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
When the screensaver is active, I noticed less than a 1% increase in processor usage on a computer with 700mhz.  It certainly doesn't use much and it takes only seconds to install. :yes

I love my computer.  My computer generates A LOT of heat, which increases the temperature of my room.  When the house temperature is set to 65 degrees F, my room is actually 72 degrees F.  It is very surprising that it generates so much heat.  I've got several meters on it but it's normal for the type of processor and PSU I have.

The only screensaver that uses less resources than mine is the standard screensaver that just displays the "windows xp" logo.  Quite natural, seeing as it's just one image and the image isn't moving across the screen.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
I have an own computer out in my cottage, but there's no internet connection there, so I get to use the family one.
But my own computer in my cottage is so crappy it laggs on MS Miner!
Will start working in one month from now, three days at work n' I'll have my laptop. Plus, I'm getting myself a router for it  :lol:

/Lillefot

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Good news then.  Feel free to ask about any computer type stuff in a thread.  There's some here who are computer experts and I"m sure they can help you, perhaps even brands that are best for laptops, and / or ones to avoid.