The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Alternative Character interpretation Gang - December 2020

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Well... sometimes who is the antagonist and who is the protagonist is a matter of perspective.  :bestsharptooth

----------------

In this topic please feel free to discuss the gang as characters, but from the alternative perspective of how they must appear to their adversaries, to share your own creations (fanfics or fanart), or to mention some of your favorite fanworks of others involving them in this context.  For a full set of rules please see the 2020 Monthly Character Showcase topic but keep in mind that this is meant to be fun as opposed to any sort of contest.

I will go ahead and get the discussion started with the following questions:

1.  Considering the gang's exploits in defeating or outsmarting sharpteeth, including the original film sharptooth, what kind of reputation do you think they have in the Mysterious Beyond?

2.  Are there any instances in the films where you think the gang's actions could be seen in a more sinister light?

Special thanks for ImpracticalDino for helping me find a good version of the image in the Wanted Poster. :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 01:48:38 AM by rhombus »

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
oh lol
 :lol :lol :lol :lol

The TRUE anrtagonists and the vilest villains of series!

We always knew it!!!  :ozzysmug :OzzyAngry :thudstonk :RedclawTerrified :whatdidyousay  :sharptoothgrrr :taunttroll

1) well, Mysterious Beyond is not like Great Valley, and gang don't live there constantly, so sharpteeth don't even know about the gang. Even if they knew about them - I think they would consider defeated sharpteeth as weak and stupid (ironic) rather than considering gang as smart and dangerous.

2) I still considering Littlefoot's intention to kill original Sharptotoh as pure "vile" act of revenge. ESPECIALLY in movie version, where Great Valey wasn't found, gang was far away and undetected by Sharptooth, but Littlefoot just decided to get rid of him. BUT, I stil think that even in original version, Littlefoot speaked about protecting Valley reidents in case if Sharptooth will find entrance to the valley, but thought about revenge, putting his friends' lives at the risk. It was something beyond the nature.

And, well, I believe, ripping the tooth off the dreaming sharptooth because of some stupid believes in supernatural powers of some soulless rock is an act of pure vileness too!!!   :bestsharptooth
Bad bad flathead! You are villain!!!!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 07:03:28 AM by Sneak »
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
And let's not forget when Littlefoot dropped a rock on :bestsharptooth while it made a very sad face.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Littlefoot himself, or gang, following Littlefoot's commands, dropped rocks on many sharpteeth. :P
Good reason to put them behind the bars.
6/14
0/26

Nanotyrannus

• Junior synonym
  • Chomper
  • i'll put something here eventually
    • View Profile
This is a bit of a hard topic for me to really put into words, so I'll be succinct; looking at a few select instances of the kids' interactions with sharpteeth (specifically XIII, which has been mentioned here already; poor  :bestsharptooth), I think it's pretty easy (and fun) to paint the darned little ornithodirans in a less-than-flattering light.

1.) I adore the idea that all of the incidents of the kids leading sharpteeth into harm's way/to their deaths have culminated in them being seen by the Mysterious Beyond's resident carnivores as indomitable, grim reaper-like figures that only the bravest, stupidest and most unwitting sharpteeth are unfortunate enough to try and hunt.

2.) Aside from the obvious example of Littlefoot's rage over his mother's death leading him and his friends to assassinate Sharptooth, I think the easiest non-XIII example to bring up is less an example of them doing something and more an example of how they respond to the actions of others: after the sharpteeth in VI are dispatched; right off of the heels of V, their immediate reaction to witnessing the slaughter of creatures they just learned are apparently intellectually equal to themselves is to cheer uproariously.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Good example about VI.

They're just maniacs!!! :O Me, honest sharptooth, will never say a lie! *roar*

But what happened in XIII? O_o They over-celebrated too? Because all encounters and fights with sharpteeth there were act of gang's self-defense, or to defend stupid trio stupid herd, weren't?
6/14
0/26

ChocoDrake

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I have to agree with @Nanotyrannus here. I think word has gotten around and they would much see them as a myth or a scary story much like the hidden runner.

As for The LBT1 Sharptooth, I firmly believe that he was guilty as well. No one can convince me he was not trying to get revenge on the gang, most likely for Littlefoot ruining his eye but I can totally see this as petty as he didn't want to let a bunch of nambi pambi children outsmart him. Honestly, I don't think the gang would have curbed his hunger very much either. Both are in the wrong here, but I can't see Sharptooth getting into the valley as a good thing either. The grown-ups would've just killed him as well, though it would be less risky than the kids doing it themselves.

You must excuse me as I have not seen 13 before, I will watch it at some point but not at the moment.

Though I'm very certain now that this topic will come up in Vale Guardian, I don't know how or when but it's happening.

Also I might write a thing about this topic soon or not whos to say.
"I would not mess with Littlefoot's Mother, man. She'll Suplex you."

Do you want a retelling of LBT from Littlefoot's mother's point of view? Then I have the story for you.

Vale Guardian

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
First of all, I love that poster. Great work! :DD

1.  Considering the gang's exploits in defeating or outsmarting sharpteeth, including the original film sharptooth, what kind of reputation do you think they have in the Mysterious Beyond?

Hmmm... is this actually a case of the gang being that clever? Or is it more a case of the sharpteeth being less than clever? :P

But in all seriousness, I don't think the gang would have a big reputation in the Mysterious Beyond, if they would have any reputation at all. They're definitely competent enough against predators to have earned such a reputation. But their lush society in the Great Valley versus the harsh wilderness of the Mysterious Beyond are separate enough that anyone within the Great Valley likely wouldn't have much of a reputation outside of it.

That, and the various predators they've encountered mostly seem like isolated incidents. As in, the different sharpteeth (the ones who managed to survive, anyway) probably wouldn't all meet up with each other and swap stories and be like, "Oh, did you hear about those kids? Yeah, they're a nasty bunch. They look like they're harmless and easy prey, but they're scarier and more dangerous than any of us! Watch out for them!" It's definitely a funny scenario to imagine. :p But I don't think it would actually happen.

But I do find it a fascinating idea; of the Gang – being the cute, cuddly dinosaurs we know them as – having a reputation as dark and deadly monsters amongst their enemies. Possible future fanfic idea? :)

2.  Are there any instances in the films where you think the gang's actions could be seen in a more sinister light?

There are a few noteworthy instances of the character acting more anti-heroically; namely Littlefoot in LBT 11, and Ducky in "Search for the Sky Color Stones". It stands out all the more because Littlefoot and Ducky are otherwise two of the nicest and most easygoing of the cast. But even there, I think "sinister" may be too harsh of a word. Even with Cera throughout most of LBT 1 – which is the meanest we've ever seen any of the main characters behave – she still reforms by the end of it. And the "reformed bully" being the whole point of her character arc in the first place. So no, I don't think there's any instances where the characters could be seen in a more sinister light, per se, or at least no more sinister than what's already portrayed.

Again, I like the idea of putting a darker spin on the characters. But I think it would largely be a fanon thing, as canon simply doesn't give us much to work with there.

Update: After reading the other posts in here, Sneak brings up a very good point in regards to Littlefoot wanting to kill the original Sharptooth. It's mitigated somewhat when you consider how dangerous of a predator Sharptooth was; not only to the kids, but also if he'd discovered the Great Valley. There's a strong "self-defence" argument to be made for killing Sharptooth, and thus in itself it doesn't make the kids come off sinister.

However, it seems to go a step further for Littlefoot than mere self-defence. It's not outright stated, but certainly implied that taking out Sharptooth is personal for him. Which I really can't blame him for. But it does indeed paint Littlefoot in a darker light, and shows a very uncharacteristically vengeful side to his psyche.