The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A Modern, Furry, Fantasy RP

Serris · 18 · 1750

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Info on Darkstone

The Plot:

The land of Uma is being threatened by Drakk. Drakk used to be known as Drakil Tanin, a monk serving under the Goddess of Life, Kaliba. However, his thirst for power lead him into the black arts of necromancy. When his fellow monks discovered the experiments he had done, he was banished from the order. Unfortunately, that was not enough; with the help of his minions, he wreaked havoc in Uma for decades. But some brave adventurers defeated and imprisoned him with the help of an artifact known as the Time Orb. Drakk's reign of terror was at last over. The Time Orb was then shattered into 21 separate crystals, each entrusted to a guardian who would give it only to one pure of heart. Peace quickly returned to Uma upon his defeat and soon after centuries, Drakk's reign of terror was soon forgotten.

But the Time Orb's power weakened throughout the centuries and Drakk has escaped his crystalline prison and his reign of terror began anew. Aided by a mysterious artifact known as the Astral Hand, he has gained the ability to morph into a massive Dragon at will. But the Astral Hand holds even more power and if he were to unlock that power, he could challenge the Goddess of Life, Kaliba, herself. The burden to stop him now rests on a new group of adventurers.

But Uma has changed with the times; Ardyl has become a verdant park that is home to those who wish to preserve elements of Uma's past; Marghor has morphed into a gritty industrial area; Omar has morphed into a vast subterranean network of mines and refineries. And Serkesh was once a bustling residential and commercial area but with Drakk's arrival, it has become a mass of abandoned buildings and assorted monsters.

Character classes

Cleric (Priest/Priestess)
Mage (Wizard/Sorceress)
Rogue (Assassin/Thief)
Warrior (Knight/Amazon)

Left is the male variant, right is the female. There are no specific differences between the genders.

Anthros (even legendary creatures) as well as Humans are permitted as characters.

1 "true" (full profile) character per player.

"True" characters are allied with each other.

Rules

Shopkeepers are controlled publicly (anyone can do as they see fit with them, as long as it makes sense in continuity and they do not kill them.)

Quest NPCs are publicly controlled. If they are intended to betray you, please let the GM know.

Spells need to be learned from spell books.

Any class can use weapons and wear armor of any other class (Wizard can use a bow, Thief can use a war hammer, etc).

However each class specializes in certain type of weapon (they can attack faster, hit more often with the appropriate type of weapons but they will get better at using weapons outside of their type if they keep using them):

Warrior: swords, axes, machetes, etc.

Mage: staves, scepters, etc.

Rogue: bows, throwing knives, throwing axes, slings, shuriken, etc.

Priests: maces, war hammers, pole arms (halberds, pole-axes, lances, tridents, etc), clubs, etc.

Modern firearms and weapons are present but somewhat rare. Improvised weapons are also usable.

Quests are generated here. Obtaining a crystal ends the quest (group either returns to town or opts to continue). Then someone else generates a quest.

There are 4 lands:

Ardyl
Marghor
Omar
Serkesh

Ardyl is the first (and least dangerous land) and Serkesh is the last (and most dangerous land).

Profile:

Name:
Species:
Class:
Appearance:
Starting Equipment: (be reasonable, your characters are new adventurers)
Short Bio:

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Very Interesting seris. Would you allow races from games such as OBlivion?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
... I would have to say no, sadly.

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Understood i was curious, which is why I asked.. So I;ll have to see what i can come up with..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe you can do a character based on one from oblivion, but with some changes.

I may try to make a character.  I'll wait to see what some others are making first.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
All right here's my profile:

Name: Samuel "Sam" Jarvis
Species: Gila Monster
Class: Wizard
Appearance: A medium height (5'6") anthro Gila Monster. He has pebbled orange and black skin. He has no hair (being a reptile) and he has dark amber eyes. Of note is that he wears glasses.
Starting Equipment: Light padded cloth armor, small folding pocket knife (~ 4 inches) and the base spell magic missile.
Short Bio: Samuel comes from a line of fairly well known mages in Uma. While mages were revered in Uma's past, as the years passed and technology became prevalent their status dropped. But with Drakk's return, their status returned. While his day job is as a worker in one of Serkesh's electronics factories is what pays the bills; it was hobby as a mage reenactor in Ardyl's parks that attracted Drakk's attention. Can this reenactor morph into a true adventurer?

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Would something like an anthro rabbit be allowed?

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Campion1,Jun 8 2011 on  12:58 AM
Would something like an anthro rabbit be allowed?
Yeah.

The rules state that ANY anthro or Human is allowed.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Guess I'll get in on this, then.  Sounds like fun.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Is there anyway you could simplify the explanation of the story?

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Name:  Kye
Species:  Human
Class:  Thief
Appearance:  Caucasian, black hair, gray eyes, 5'6", agile build, left arm gone, scars across left shoulder & left side of neck, dark gray ninja-style outfit & jacket

Starting Equipment:  Set of 5 throwing daggers, boot knives

Short Bio:  The last survivor of a destroyed gang of thieves & spies in Marghor, Kye had lost her arm at the hands of Drakk's monsters.  Since then, she's worked as a mercenary to anyone with a higher offer, at least for now...

How's that, Serris?

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Campion, I'll do my best for you.

The land of Uma has four distinct regions:
1. Ardyl - smiling happy people feeling glad. Probably our starting land.
2. Marghor - gritty industrial environment
3. Omar - underground mines and refineries
4. Serkesh - "Ravenholm" style craphole. Surely the adventurers won't have to pass through here...

Anyway, an evil cleric named Drakk tried to destroy the world long ago, but some dudes used a Time Orb and trapped him in a magic prison. The Time Orb then spontaneously combusted and its 21 pieces are now kept hidden.

Drakk recently escaped and is using an Astral Hand to cause a bunch of problems since he can morph into a dragon now. Some new adventurers need to stop him.

Lemme think about it; I need to come up with a good character first. The classes are kinda limiting, what if I want to be a Rogue that isn't an assassin?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Is it best for the rp to have one of each class type?

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
MK, that will do it. Accepted.

-------------------

Quote from: Kor on  
Is it best for the rp to have one of each class type?

Doesn't really matter. Knowing myself, I can probably get this RP to work with almost any combo of class types. But it would probably make the RP more fun.

-------------------

Quote from: LB&T on  
The classes are kinda limiting, what if I want to be a Rogue that isn't an assassin?

You need to keep in mind that my RP rules are pretty damn flexible. I will see what you come up with.

As for why Rogue = assassin. I use the term from Darkstone, where Rogue is the overall character class and assassin/thief are the gendered classes. But I may make some changes.

-------------------

Also, this is RP is in its REALLY early stages so I may have to do some tweaking of the rules and stuff.

For instance, I played with the idea that the genders DO have differences. Hell, I may even totally abolish the gender classes.

Cleric (Priest/Priestess)

Priests are more offensively oriented
Priestesses are more of a healer/support character

Mage (Wizard/Sorceress)

Wizards are focus on spells dealing with healing, detecting, summoning, etc.
Sorceresses focus on spells that do direct damage (fireballs, magic missiles, lightning bolts, etc.)

Rogue (Assassin/Thief)

Assassins are more combat oriented.
Thieves focus more on "indirect combat", manipulating people and of course, theft.

Warrior (Knight/Amazon)

Knights tend to focus on brute strength in combat, overpowering their foes through sheer might. In addition, they tend to be averse to dishonorable fighting and use of projectiles.
Amazons tend to be more strategic in combat, aiming for an enemy's weak point. However, they show no qualms about fighting dirty or using projectiles.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I"m not sure.  I'm thinking maybe either a cleric, mage or warrior.  I'll decide later when we see if there is more of a hole, a need in certain area or areas.  

I guess the classes are separate, so no warriors learning some magic during the rp?

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Jun 9 2011 on  01:34 AM
I guess the classes are separate, so no warriors learning some magic during the rp?
Nope. Warriors can learn some magic like in the actual Darkstone game.

They will be horrible at it but they can learn it.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess that would be after the rp starts?  

& can spells be cast in armor?

Just was wondering in case I decide to take a warrior type.  The majority of the magic I may try to get may be minor stuff.  Some cantrips, maybe something like the d & d mage armor in case they are camping somewhere and the camp is attacked at night and he/she was asleep at night.  Something like low light vision so he/she can see better in low light conditions, ect.  Maybe a level 1 magic missile sorta of thing.  a ranged spell that does puny damage.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Your clothing has no bearing on spells... unless it was cursed to remove your spellcasting abilities.