The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Under a Yellow Moon

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Surprise! The wait is finally over! Here is the introduction of Under a Yellow Moon!  :DD

----------------------------------------

Introduction: Scary Stories

On a cool, starry, autumn night in the Great Valley, not a creature was stirring, except of course for a certain red flyer and a group of young dinosaurs surrounding a bright crack in the ground, which is what dinosaurs would use for a "camp fire".

"I was lurking through the woods with my broken wing all alone on a cold, moonless night. I was separated from my family and tried my absolute best to find them again. With the rattling in the bushes everywhere I turned, sleep was not possible." Pterano said in his smoothest yet creepiest voice, flapping his wings to emphasize his point.  "All of a sudden, a loud screetch could be heard for miles and I jumped into the bush to hide. More rattling of the bushes took place and out jumped," he paused for affect. "The Hidden Runner!" Instead of gasping in horror like most children would do, these children only bursted out laughing; Littlefoot, Cera Ducky, Petrie, Spike, Ruby, Chomper and Devon. The only one who didn't laugh was a blue glider named Guido, who hid behind a log in fear.

"The Hidden Runner?" Cera said, giggling. "I hate to break it to ya, Pterano, but we've already seen the Hidden Runner. And he wasn't scary at all!"

"He wasn't?" Pterano questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"No! He was more scared of us than we were of him."

"Really? That's not how I remember it. He was fierce and he tried to kill me!"

"What did he look like?" Littlefoot asked, stepping up to the red flyer.

"Well, I couldn't really tell. It was pitch black you know. I couldn't see anything except a dark shadow."

"Wait! Hold on a second there, guys." Guido said, standing up on his feet and holding his arms up. "Just what the tail is the Hidden Runner!"

"The Hidden Runner is a fast runner that lurks in the woods at night." Ruby replied as Guido nodded in responce, getting the picture.

"So what did this "Hidden Runner" of yours do anyway?" Pterano asked, rolling his eyes.

"He screetched loudly and ran away." Ducky replied, chuckling in amusement.

"Huh. Sounds more like a nervous fast runner to me. Even Devon has seen something scarier than that. Right Devon?" Pterano checked the surroundings. Ruby, Guido, Ducky, Petrie, Cera, Littlefoot, Chomper and Spike was all surrounding him, staring at him with confused looks. But no sign of Devon. "Where's Devon?"

"I dunno. Maybe he was eaten by the Hidden Runner." Cera said sarcastically, rolling her eyes.

"This is serious! My Devon wouldn't run off like that!" the red flyer exclaimed, not enjoying Cera's humor at all and giving her a serious look.

"Relax, Pterano! I'm sure he went to bed or something."

"Well I know he would tell us before he would do so." The red flyer sighed, trying not to get scared and yet, he was smirking, though unnoticed by the gang. "Okay, Devon. Very funny! You can come out now!"

They searched the bushes, the trees, boulders, anything that surrounded them and still no sign of the blue flyer. "Well looks like he's gone to bed, Pterano." Cera said. "Nothing to worry about." Just then...crack. The gang snapped their heads up, trying to figure out what had made that crack. There wasn't a stick around them and no one was standing near one. They shrugged, letting go of the subject.

Crack.

They all snapped their heads up again. "Okay, very funny Pterano." Cera rolled her eyes again.

"What?" Pterano asked, putting his claws up in confusion, having no idea what the threehorn was talking about.

Crack.

"You can cut the act now. Jokes over." the threehorn spoke again, obviously not falling for the "trick".

"Cera, I hate to break it to you, but how can that be me when the cracking is coming from right behind you!?!" He stopped there, eyes going wide. He didn't like the sound of that. As if things couldn't get creepier.

Crack!

That one didn't come from behind Cera, but behind Pterano himself. The gang's eyes grew wide, fear going through their veins. "What? What is it?" Pterano asked, as he noticed that they were either looking right at him...or behind him.

"Pterano! Behind you!" Cera warned as she noticed that the shadow behind Pterano began to grow larger and larder until...

"BAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!"

-----------------------------------------

Cliffhanger much? :lol

Enjoy, and don't forget to leave feedback. Ya'll know what to do.  :lol
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Nice job on the prologue, it even had me on edge.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, it's pretty suspenseful to start out, which is good. :)

I'm looking forward to how this one turns out, since I don't really know (Remember) what it's supposed to be about.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Long wait much? Well first of all, I was waiting for some reviews and now that I got some, I can do my thing. And second, this was a monster of a chapter to finish! Took me like a week or two! And also, I'm having an even tougher time with chapter two. I know how it goes, but I don't know how to put it and that sucks! Stupid mother friggin writers block! YOU MUST DIE!!!!!  :lol

Oh! And thanks Vonbob and John for your kind reviews. Love you guys! :DD
--------------------------------------------

"BAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!"

"HOLY SEA BUISCUT!!!!" Pterano boomed, jumping in fright and whirling around to see this creature. Devon laughed, falling on his back to the ground.

"HAHAHA!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GUYS FELL FOR THAT!!!!" Devon thundered, rolling on his stomach. "Oh God! Oh God! Pterano you should've seen the look on your face when I scared you! Haaha haaaaaa!!!!" He laughed harder, his face turning red. "And to think that you're the one who came up with the plan!"

Pterano chuckled, and the gang behind him too laughed they're heads off. "That was very nice, Devon." he said, helping his son off the ground.

"I know, right?" Devon let out a few final laughs as the laughter finally died down. Yet another crack was heard.

"Okay, Devon. Jokes over." Cera said, stepping up to the blue flyer. "You can cut the act now."

Crack.

"Yeah. It was funny at first now it's just plain annoying." Littlefoot agreed, also stepping up to Devon.

"That's ain't me." Devon defended, wondering what the heck was going on.

"Well it has to be one of us." Cera said, before...

Crack!

By now, Devon was breathing heavily. If it wasn't him, and it wasn't any of the gang, nor Pterano...then who was it? Fear gripped his heart as it began to pound in his chest. He jumped directly into Pterano's arms, clinging to him as if he was clinging fo dear life.

CRACK!!

That was the last crack they heard before a familiar green spiketail emerged from the trees. "Sorry about that kids." he said in a low, booming voice. "My herd and I are looking for a place to stay and-Wait." The old spiketail stopped right there, as he began to recognize the young longneck. "Littlefoot? Is that you?"

Littlefoot raised his eyebrows as if the spiketail was crazy. Devon too was dumbfounded, wondering who this spiketail was. And yet, he looked familiar. Very familiar. It was then that realization had hit the blue flyer, as he now recognized the spiketail. He hopped out of Pterano's arms, slowly approaching him. "I remember you. You're Joe, right?" he asked, smiling.

"That would be me, young one." Joe replied, standing tall. "How ya doin, blue flyer?"

"Oh the same old. Just scared the living wits outta my dad over there." Devon chuckled, pointing at Pterano.

"Joe?" Littlefoot said, blinking in surprise. He let out a big smile. "Joe! It's been a while! What brings you here?"

"Well an earthshake hit our valley and now we need a place to stay." Joe explained, then he noticed the blue glider hiding behind a boulder. "So I see you kids got a new friend."

"Oh you mean Guido?" Littlefoot asked, also noticing the frightened glider. "Eh not really. He joined Petrie's family a quite a few years ago. He's been roaming around in the Great Valley, even though we never really knew about it. But he joins us from time to time. You can come out now, Guido!"

"But what if he eats me?" Came the repsonse from that high, frightened male voice of Guido's, causing Joe to burst out laughing.

"Spiketails don't eat meat, Guido." Littlefoot pointed out.

"And I think your friends would be running if I did eat meat." Joe helped, chuckling.

"Okay, if you say so." With that, the little glider took a few small steps from the boulder. "Hi." he said, nervousness hinting in his voice.

"Guido, this is Joe. He helped us get through the Mysterious Beyond a few years ago."  the longneck introduced.

"Hi." the glider repeated.

"Well hello there, little fella." Joe turned back to Littlefoot. "So can we stay?"  

"Of course! There's always room in the Great Valley for more!" Littlefoot humbly replied, letting out a hearty chuckle. "Just follow me." But then yet another dinosaur emerged from the trees, not a spiketail, but a threehorn. A very grumpy threehorn.

"CERA!!! " the fueled threehorn thundered grumpily.

"Yes, Daddy?" Cera asked in a tiny, nervous voice.

"WHAT is all this racket? You're supposed to be in bed!"

"Let me explain, Mr. Threehorn." Littlefoot said, stepping up to the old triceratops. "This is Joe. His home was destroyed by a great earthshake and-" he gulped, trying to find the words to say. "I was wondering if he and her herd could stay here for a while."

To Littlefoot's, Cera's and as well as everyone else's surprise, Mr. Threehorn let out a friendly, hearty chuckle. "Of course!" he said in a cheerful voice.

"Really?" Littlefoot asked, letting out a hopeful smile.

"No." And just like that Littlefoot's hopeful smile disappeared and so did that hearty chuckle.

"Please? His valley just suffered an earthshake! Come on, Mr. Threehorn! How would you feel if-" Littlefoot stopped right there, as he was interrupted by a female voice.

"Topsy!"

A female pink triceratops also approached the old threehorn, and she wasn't very happy. "What are you doing?" Tria scolded, glaring at her husband. "He's just looking for a place to stay! Lighten up!"

"But we have enough in the Great Valley already!"

"I don't care! We can make room! The Great Valley is always open to anyone!"

"Well we don't have enough food!" The old triceratops argued.

"Topsy, you are so full of it!"

"Well we don't!"

"Do to!

"Do not!"

"Do to!"

As the two threehorn's bickered, the gang just shared a look. Pterano rolled his eyes, slapping his forehead before turning to Devon. "You. Meet me at the cave." he ordered before turning to the gang. "You. Get your skinny little tails in bed! It's late!" And to the spiketail. "You. Follow me." And so, everyone went there seperate ways, except Tria and Topsy of course, who just continued to bicker, not noticing that they were the only two around.

"Do  not!"

"Do to!"

"Do not! Do not! DO NOT!!"

Do to! Do to! DO TO!!"

Finally the two stopped bickering, noticing the utter silence. They searched their surroundings and discovered that they were now the only two around. A silence fell upon them, and Mr. Threehorn just looked around awkwardly. "Where'd everyone go?"

----------------------------------------

Devon sat at the enterance of the cavern, staring up at the moon. He's been doing this alot lately, for at least two weeks now. No one, except Pterano of course, knew this but he once had a girlfriend, his first girlfriend in fact.  Lavender was her name, and she was his everyday inspiration. She, like him, was a blue cearadactylus, but with brighter colors. Instead of the black outside coating Devon had, she had a violet blue outside coloring. Instead of a night sky blue inside coloring, she had an aquatic blue that was brighter than the sun. Her neckring was as pink as he would blush. Her eyes matched the greenest of grasses and her smile always brought a smile to his face.

It was ten years ago today that she was killed. Killed, by one of Devon's own relatives; Sierra. All because he ran away from home after all the beatings he had recieved. He just couldn't take it anymore, and he knew he deserved better than that. So he ran off to his girlfriend's cave, and stayed there for about two weeks til he recovered. Then, he and Lavender decided to go for a midday flight, just racing innocently like hatchlings would do. Laughter would fill the daylight blue skies, not a cloud in sight.

Then, something extraordinary happened. Devon realized he was ready to take the "next step" in his relationship with Lavender, and to his surprise, so was Lavender. So they decided to meet in a cave about ten minutes from that moment on. Lavender had to check in with her parents and Devon had to get her a few daisies, which were her favorite flower, and a few roses, his favorite flower. When he returned to the cave, however, let's just say he saw the most horrifying sight he would ever expect to see...

His girlfriend...impaled by a javelin spear. A javelin spear that Sierra was holding. Devon freaked out, screaming her name. He pushed Sierra out of the way and he took her into his arms, just in time to say goodbye. Tears were already spilling in his eyes when she stuttered her final words:

"I-I love you, D-Devon."

Afterwords, Devon almost grew bitter, and cold. Or at least he would have if Pterano wasn't there. What he did after Lavender had passed away in his arms, he flew off to Pterano's cave, tears flooding his eyes, and told him everything. Pterano embraced him, holding him until tears were no longer to shed. He cupped his wet cheeks, looking into his melancholic eyes. "Everything will be alright," he would say. "I'm here."

It has been ten years since then, and it still hurts today just as much as it hurt way back when. The blue cearadactylus couldn't help but shed a few tears, due to the pressure and memories. Such harse memories, that Devon wished had never happened. Just then, he felt a hand on his shoulder. He gazed upward to see...Lavender? Seriously! For a flash of a second there, he could've swarn he saw Lavender herself gazing down at him with concern his eyes, looking as if she was checking in on him. But it turned out to be his father, staring down at him with the same look. "Devon? What are you doing out here so late?" Pterano asked, taking a seat next to the younger flyer. "What's wrong?" Right there, Pterano wiped the tears off Devon's face with his claws.

Devon could only stare at him, as it was all he could do with the pressure and harsh memories  that flooded his mind. As if he could read minds, Pterano got the message. Devon only gave him that look once a year, and it has always been on this very day. He knew this time of year was harsh on him, as it has always been in the last ten years. Pterano scooped him up in his strong arms, rubbing his back reassuringly.

Devon didn't fight the embrace. He allowed himself to be sunk in, burying his face into Pterano's chest so he could listen to that powerful heartbeat of his. "Everything will be alright," the red flyer reassured, tightening his grip. "I'm here."

"You always say that." Devon returned, his voice a little muffled from his face being smashed up against his father's chest.

"Well, everything does turn out alright in the end doesn't it?" Pterano shot back, then he smirked, coming up with just the perfect thing that would most definitely cheer Devon up, or at least put a smile on his face. "Oh Devon...I'm thinking of a song." he whispered, loosening his grip on Devon.

"Heh, not now, Dad." Devon shrugged it off but Pterano wasn't backing down just yet.

"Oh it's a wonderful song! I'm sure you're familiar with it." He broke his embrace, standing up. "Yes I'm a very important creature!" he sang, stepping around. "Tremendously brave and strong. I find that I am frequently right, when others are often wrong. Instead of  arguing blindly, they should open their eyes and see that the one that'll bring them paradise, is the-" he stopped right there, noticing Devon wasn't budging. "Oh come on! I know you know the words! Just three little words..."

Devon rolled his eyes, but he smiled at the same time. That Pterano. He always knew how to put a smile on others no matter what mood they're in. "Very important me." he spat out, giving a small chuckle.

"That's the spirit! Now sing along with me!" Pterano flapped his wings. "I'm a fabolous fearsome flyer-" he stopped again, noticing Devon wasn't singing. "Oh come now! Don't make an old flyer sing by himself!"

Devon let out another low chuckle, giving Pterano a small smile. He might as well. He too stood up, stepping up next to his father. "I'm a fabolous fearsome flyer! I handle life with finess! When others say no it can't be so! My answer is always yes! I was BORN to be their savior! That is my DESTINY!!" There, Pterano and Devon side embraced, singing that to the skies loudly. "Why do they despise, not recognize, THE TRULY FANTASTIC ME!" they faced eachother, taking eachother's hands, before bursting out laughing.

"Hey could you two keep it down?!?" A low booming voice was heard from below. At the base of the cave, Joe stood there, staring up at them. Apparently, he has been awakened by their loud singing. "I'm trying to sleep!"

"Oh! Sorry Joe!" Devon returned, winking at him.

"Just don't let it happen again. I'm not nocturnal, you know." Joe said, laying back down at that same spot.

"Yes, we know." Pterano replied, wrapping an arm around his son again. Joe nodded, and curled himself up for warmth, closing his eyes. He fell asleep in a matter of minutes.

Pterano smirked, playfully elbowing his son in the arm. "Yeah Devon. Keep it down!"

"Hey! You're the one who was singing!"

"So were you!"

"Only because you forced me to!" Devon shot back, smirking, as he knew Pterano was only playing with him.

"No, I did not force you. You did that all on your own! I just pulled the trigger."

"Yeah, whatever, Dad. Whatever you say."

Pterano ruffled his head playfully, chuckling as he pulled him in for another hug. "You know I love you, right?" he asked.

"Yes yes. You told me that, like a million times."

The red flyer chuckled again, nuzzling his boy gently. "But I always mean it." They gazed into eachother's eyes, that seemed to be glowing due to the brightness of the night circle. They kissed, and Devon sunk into his father, nuzzling his chest before drifting off into a nice, peaceful slumber.

Pterano noticed this, as he lifted to boy off the ground. He carried him into the cavern, and gently placed him on the floor. He was about to head out for a breath of air, but Devon's tight grip on his neck proved that he wanted him to stay. The red flyer chuckled again, laying down next to his boy, keeping him nestled warmly, and safely against him. A smile formed on the boy's lips, and he cuddled up to his father. "Hmm...I love you, Dad." he muttered, though he did not know it.

"I love you too." Pterano whispered, kissing his forehead and tightened his arms around him. "Sleep well, my son." With that, he too ended slipping into a peaceful slumber.

---------------------------------------------

Now...LEAVE FEEDBACK!!! I JUST SPENT A WEEK OR TWO WRITING THIS FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT SO LEAVE FEEDBACK OR I WILL KICK YOUR TAILS!!!!!  :anger

:lol  :lol  :lol  :lol Just kidding! But seriously though. Leave feedback. I wanna know how I did. Not getting feedback is like not knowing how you did on a test.
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
I'm enjoying your story so far...can't wait for part 3.

I am horrible at feedback, but here it goes...

I am confused at what your story's genre is.
Also, the story is fairly suspenseful at the first part, but lingers back in a joyous mood (joyous is a little strong for what I am trying to say.)

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTLover1,Dec 20 2011 on  09:03 PM
Also, the story is fairly suspenseful at the first part, but lingers back in a joyous mood (joyous is a little strong for what I am trying to say.)
Is the word your looking for lighthearted? Because that's how the first half seemed to me. It's weird, because the end of the intro had me thinking of the ending of Always the Same Son, where there's some...creature in the shadows that's never explained.

And that flashback was just over the top, Hannah. :p
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Wow! That was fast! Thanks for the awesome reviews, guys!  :DD

Keep it coming! Oh! And just a heads up for you all, it might be quite a while until I get chapter two going. Because I'm having major writer's block on that.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
You know what? I really enjoyed this chapter. In my opinion, one of the best one's I've seen you spit out there, Hannah. :)

I really thought it was well-thought out, and not rushed at all. It had a good steady flow, and barely any grammer or spelling mistakes in here. So, kudos to you, my friend. I'm glad to see this got updated, and I'm sorry that I haven't been posting a lot lately. School and being lazy kind of caught up to me, heh heh...

Hey, Joe's back! I missed that guy! I also missed which author he came from. I knew it was either you or Mama's Girl. Guess I found my answer, eh? It's also nice to see a bit more backside on Devon's lovelife. I mean, we know his backstory, where he came from, who his parents were, what his childhood was like, etc, but we never really knew what his relationship status was. I'm glad you brought this topic up. It was incredibly refreshing, to be quite honest with you. What I also loved was that argument between Tria and Topsy. It was very cute indeed, that little game of "did not, did too, did not, did too!". Always funny to watch someone get into it.

There was one thing that has me confused though.

"HOLY SEA BUISCUT!!!!"

How would they know what a buiscut is? I never knew they had Buiscuts back in Prehistory.

"Oh God! Oh God!

Also, how would they know who God is?

Other than those two little concerning spots, I liked it, and I'm really looking forward to more! Hope your writers block goes away soon. Nasty little bugger, in't it?

Either way, keep it up with those updates! I have a feeling things are going to get interesting...

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Right, I haven't left any reviews for you for a while now, so I thought I'd start again. I like the way you have lighthearted moments, and then you put some very dark moments in there (especially the part midway through chapter 2, that suprised me  :! Poor Devon). I always think it's a good thing when stories can mix up their content.

The part where Topsy and Tria argue was pretty funny as well.

Looking forward to the next part, and I hope your writer's block goes away soon!

PanickyPetrie14

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/dozyslumbers
I gotta say this one was pretty good, it didn't turn out as a dark moment at all, instead it turned out to be a comedic one. The argument between Tria and Topsy was very funny, so as that "Very Important Creature" song part, quite funny. Looking forward to the next chapter, and I hope your writer's block will go away. (just like what the others say :p )

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Very nice job writing this first chapter. I really enjoy it it a lot.

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Ugh! Long wait, long wait, long wait!  :bang Terribly sorry about that. Had a lot going on in my life. My friend passed away last month, and I had tons of school work to do. February is one of the toughest months of my life.  My father died this month, thirteen years ago. :/ :cry But at least I was able to write that oneshot a few days ago in his memory.

-----------------------------------------

Chapter Two: Shock

He didn't know how long he's been asleep, but the stars were still up in the night sky. His heart was pounding, and he felt like he lived through a terrifying nightmare, although he couldn't really remember it. Pterano took a deep breath, and tried to get back to sleep, but the warmth of Devon by his side made it almost impossible.

He tried to move away, but Devon clung to him too tightly. "Hmm...my snuggling stick," the sleepy blue flyer murmered, nuzzling his head deep into Pterano's chest. Pterano gasped due to the tight squeeze. Sometimes I wonder about this boy, he thought to himself. He moved the younger flyer's arm and headed towards the cave enterance, taking off immediately afterwards.

He landed on a tree branch, immediately sitting back on the trunk. He observed his surroundings as he soon realized this was the exact spot Pterano met up with Petrie and his friends. He closed his eyes as a flashback took over him.

Pterano hovered over the tree, listening to Littlefoot's conversation about this so called "Stone of Cold Fire". He couldn't help but smirk, as it was exactly what he was looking for. He couldn't exactly make up Cera's last line, but he knew it was something about the "smoking mountains are off limits." That was when he knew he had to jump in.

"NONSCENSE!!!" He boomed, landing on a tree brance behind his nephew, the momentum and force shaking the branch, causing poor Petrie to fall to the ground. He perched for a second, taking a look at the longneck, threehorn, swimmer, spiketail and flyer before landing next to his nephew, picking him up in his talons. "Did I startle you, Petrie?"

But Petrie, of course, was scared senseless, as he at first couldn't recognize this stranger. "Yes! No!" he stuttered, trying to find the right words to say. "How you know my name?"

"Petrie, I'm heartbroken," he said, placing his hand over his heart. "Don't you recognize your DEAR OLD UNCLE??"

And just like that, all Petrie's fears have been transformed into joy, as he suddenly realized who this stranger was. Turns out, he wasn't a stranger at all. "Pterano!" he squealed joyfully, shooting himself towards Pterano's beak. "Pterano!" he shouted again.

"Hello, Petrie." Pterano replied, not sure if this was how it went.

"Pterano!"

"Yes, Petrie. It's me." What in the Great Valley was going on here? "Petrie."

"Pterano!"

"Petrie."

"Pterano!"

Okay, this is getting way out of hand. This is not how Pterano remembered it. "Petrie?" Was it just him, or was Petrie's voice...fading?

"Pterano!"

"Petrie?"

"PTERANO!!!!"

Whoa! Where in the heck did that come from? That wasn't Petrie, that was...an extremely ticked off female. That voice caused him to snap his eyes open, his whole body leaped into the air for a fraction of a second, and then crashed back on the branch again with a heavy "Ooof!" He felt his head, as he could have swarn he was seeing stars, although there were barely any stars in the bright blue sky by now.

Mama Flyer was hovering above him, rolling her eyes. "Pterano." She said, giving him a stern look, causing him to flinch a little.

"Hmm?" he gazed up at her, feeling his head.

"Mr. Longneck called a meeting at the Stone Arch." She told him.

"Okay."

"He is retiring as leader of the herd."

"Okay."

"And he wants you to lead in his place." Mama Flyer finished, awaiting his reaction.

"Okay..." then his eyes went wide, and he no longer cared about his headache. Shock began to take over him as his whole body once again leaped off the branch. "He wants me WHAT?!?" But the poor old flyer was so tired and shocked, that he couldn't get a good grasp of the branch to save him from that ten feet plummet to the ground. Luckily there was a bush there to catch him. "Ohhh...my head." As if on cue, a tree sweet fell off a branch and hit his head. "And I spoke too soon." he muttered, laying down flat on his belly.

As the sun continued to rise, the residents of the Great Valley had arrived at the Stone Arch. Grandpa Longneck rose above everyone else, the newly risen sun refecting off his head. "I'd like to thank you all for your attendance and attention as of my upcoming retirement." He started, his voice raspy, but still going strong all the same. "But before I begin, I'd like to welcome Mr. Joe and his herd. A dreadful earthshake had hit their valley, and they will be staying until they can find another place to live."

"Thank you, Mr. Longneck." The elderly spiketail replied, nodding with a small smile. "My herd has come a long way. Countless spiketail's have died in that earthshake...my son included," he continued, sorrow filling his features. He tried to hide it, but you could easily tell in his eyes that he was depressed...if you were fast enough. He snapped out of it, gazing up at the apatosaurus beside him. "Anyways, thank you so much for your hospitality. Words cannot explain just how grateful we are."

"It is my pleasure. You have saved my grandson after all." The two shared a small, friendly smile, before Grandpa Longneck cleared his throat. "As a group, the Great Valley Council and I have come to a great decision for who shall be the next leader. He joined us long ago, as a changed flyer, and not long afterwards, so did his adopted son. " As the apatosaurus was announcing this, Pterano felt his heart skip a beat. He covered his head, as his head was starting to ache. It was happening. It was happening, and Pterano had never been so nausious in his life. And don't even mention anxiety. "...announce that the new leader of this beautiful, fertile land is..." Here it comes! "Pterano!"

The valley gasped in shock, but most approved the Council's decision almost immediately. They applaused in the best way they could. Bipedals woud clap their hands, claws, talons or whatever, just like a human would do. Quadrepedals would just stomp their two front feet. Other's didn't seem to like this decision very well, and they just stood there, either slapping or shaking their heads in shame. Mr. Threehorn was one of them, although he just let out a huffy "Humpht!" and walked away from the scene. Just because he apologized for his actions towards Pterano, doens't mean he fully trusted him yet.

Pterano almost fainted. Seriously! Just give him a few more seconds of anxiety and that would have pulled the trigger! Shock didn't matter anymore. He remembered what happened last time he led a herd. He remembered it like it was yesterday. A trio of fastbiters attacked his herd for Pete's sake! And that was only HALF the herd. This time, it was the ENTIRE herd! He never realized it, but his heart was thundering so hard in his chest as if it wanted to burst out of his chest. He began sweating, and his heavy breathing increased. Grandpa Longneck was still speaking, explaining why Pterano was chosen. But the poor old flyer was so overblown in terror, that his own eardrums were failing him. This was the sharptooth attack all over again.

"Pterano?"

He almost screamed right there. Literally. He would have let out one loud mighty screetch if it wasn't for Grandpa Longneck calling out his name. Instead he froze in place, snapping out of his thoughts. He gulped, gazing up at the old longneck above him. "Umm yes?" he asked, trying not to sound too anxious.

"How do you feel about becoming leader?" Grandpa Longneck asked him, lowering his head a little so he could get a closer look at the red flyer.

"I'm very honored, Mr. Longneck. Honestly, I am!" Pterano said, stepping up to his friend. "But, why me? Out of all the residents in the Great Valley, why me?"

"I had Littlefoot do a few observations for me. Out of most of the valley, you seemed to be best." The elder longneck explained and then his grandson jumped in.

"And you seem to take action faster than any of us. Like, whenever there's a problem, you always know what to do. Think of last night for example. Tops and Tria were debating over if Joe should stay or not and you were the first to take action."

Petrie jumped in next, coming up from behind Pterano. He was taller now, alot taller, though still not full grown. He was at Devon's height now, and he placed a hand on his uncle's shoulders. "Yeah, think about how you saved me and my siblings from Red Claw. Oh you sure showed him!" He nudged him playfully with his elbow.

"And Devon told me how you sacrificed yourself to save the children from that swimming sharptooth." Joe jumped in as well, giving the old flyer a reassuring smile. "I know I wasn't there to see it, but I think it's the bravest thing I've seen anyone do in my day. I even told my whole herd about it."

"Yeah, I really thought you were dead." Devon said, scratching his head.

"See what I mean?" Grandpa Longneck chuckled. "You've come a long way."

"Yeah I guess that's true." Pterano agreed, calm now, although he did feel a tad uneasy.

"Then it's settled," Grandpa Longneck concluded, turning away from the flyer. "You start next week."

As the whole valley departed, no one seemed to notice a muscular, crested, brown pteranodon and a tall, dark green therinzinosaurus blending in with the trees and bushes around them, watching as the Great Valley residents departed into their seperate ways. Pterano and Devon were the last to depart, and the brown flyer narrowed his eyes. "That's the one," he snarled, in a raspy voice. The therizinosaurus nodded, narrowing his dark red eyes. With his forty inch nails, he scratched his head, growling. Then the two left that lurking spot, their colors making it almost possible to disappear into the forest.

--------------------------------------

Man, that's a long PINGAS!  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol Oh Hannah, out of the mouths of hatchlings as they say.  :lol

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I really liked this chapter, and not just because I had fun reading it with you last night. :DD

This chapter could be really foreshadowing, as Pterano now has a herd of his own to lead again. I might sounds mean for this, but I'm hoping he makes the same mistake again, or at least almost makes it. I don't know exactly what those two new flyers are up to, but I'm betting it's something along the lines of making sure Pterano fails as a leader a second time.

Should be exciting! ;)
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Thanks for your review, Vonbob, but you're just gonna have to wait and see.  :DD And yes, that was the raspiest I've heard you do. XD

Here's the next chapter.

Chapter 3: Contemplation

By nightfall, Pterano was sitting criss cross on a high mountain, one of the many that separated the Great Valley from the Mysterious Beyond, also a part of the Hidden Mountain Range. He was meditating, or at least trying to, as the shock of becoming leader was taking over his head. The moon was high in the sky, and countless stars twinkled through the night. As the moments pass, Pterano's eyelids began to feel heavy, like they were carrying a thousand pounds and he couldn't help but let out an exhausted yawn.

He nearly jumped out of his skin as two small, but muscular black arms wrap themselves around his middle. But he relaxed when he realized it was only Devon. He couldn't help but smile at this gesture. "Devon, shouldn't you be in bed?" he asked, chuckling.

"Well yeah, but I just thought I'd check on ya first," the younger flyer replied, nuzzling his father's shoulders gently. "Becoming leader is a big thing for you. Must be a dream come true."

"Of course, don't get me wrong." Pterano said, breaking out of Devon's grip. "It's just...this is so sudden. So unexpected. I mean, what if I make the same mistake?"

"Aw, come on, Dad. You've lead countless dinosaurs before, you can do it again."

"Yes but, those countless dinosaurs were small groups. Small groups that were easier to lead. This is the whole herd I'm talking about. I'm not ready for this, Devon."

"Dad, seriously. Yer the bravest flyer I've ever laid my eyes on! You outsmarted sharpteeth for cryin out loud. And that ain't easy to do." Devon blasted, gazing right into his father's eyes. "Not to mention you took down Sierra for good."

"Well...yeah. But I've had help."

"Dad, you've got to give yerself credit! Ya know what Mrs. Longneck said! A real leader must be willing to take credit for when things are good, and the blame when they go bad. Remember?"

"I know what she said." Pterano said, taking a deep sigh. "It's just that, I have friends and family that I love so deeply here; you, Petrie, my sister, Haylie. If history repeated itself and the herd couldn't defend themselves because I'm such a weak and powerless failure-" He was cut off when Devon slapped him in the head.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! What kind of talk is that?! Weak and powerless failure? Dude! Where in tarnation did that come from?" Devon snapped, gripping Pterano's beak tightly. "You are NOT a failure! And you certainly ain't weak and powerless! You are an incredibly awesome leader, and an even better dad! Don't let yourself believe such a thing. Just believe in yerself, just like ya taught me to do!"

"How'd I do that?" Pterano asked, beaming proudly at his son now.

"You'd never let me speak one negative thing about myself. You'd always kick my tail for that. And now, I ain't letting you do the same or else I'd be doin the same thing!" Devon hugged his father around the middle now, nuzzling deep into his chest. "I love ya too much for that." Pterano couldn't help but smile at his boy, and he wrapped his arms around him, protecting him for a second. "You don't even have to do this alone, Dad." Devon continued. "I'll help you through this. We can lead the herd together."

"That's too much to ask. I wouldn't want to be a burden to you."

"Ah burden smurden! I didn't ask, I INSISTED. And I'm going to help you!" The blue flyer told him firmly, giving him a dead serious look. "And I don't care what ya say either! I'm stickin to ya like glue. You know how much it pains me to see you all stressed out." He sunk back into him, nuzzling him gently. "I ain't gonna leave yer side. Ever. I ain't goin anywhere."

Pterano gasped silently, and he remembered those words. He remembered them like it was only yesterday. The night he and Devon officially and spiritually became father and son, it was as clear as a crystal. A big, proud, fatherly grin formed on his face and he just couldn't resist. "You promise?" he said, smirking, sending his "crystal clear" message to Devon.

The blue flyer chuckled, and he couldn't help but grin too. He remembered that night too, very well in fact. It was as "crystal clear" as those baby blue eyeballs of Pterano's. He's never felt so close to Pterano, ever! They were inseperable, like apple pie. You can't have apple pie without the crust. Devon's grin grew wider, and he pulled back, gazing deeply into Pterano's eyes. "With all my heart." He kissed him lovingly, wrapping his arms around his strong neck.

"That's my boy!" Pterano said, kissing him back. "Words could never describe how much you mean to me." He pulled him close, nuzzling the boy gently. "Let's go home, shall we?"

"Of course." Devon replied, and the two of them broke the hug, and spreaded their wings. Devon gazed up at the old flyer, and his heart swelled. No words could describe how glorious Pterano looked in those night colors. Suddenly he reached out, and pulled him into yet another hug, earning an "Ooof!" from the old flyer.

"Okay, what's this for?" Pterano asked, beaming, hugging the younger flyer back.

"For being the best father I could ever ask for." Devon replied, giving him a tight squeeze.

The red flyer smiled, proud tears forming in his eyes, but he wiped them away. He held him tightly, giving him yet another fatherly kiss to the forehead. They stayed like that for a long time, longer than who knows when. It just seemed like an eternity too short. There was never enough love between the two. They broke the hug now, spreading their wings once again. "Last one there a rotten egg?" Devon challenged, smirking at the elderly flyer.

"You're on!" Pterano accepted, as usual as he would accept Devon's challenges. The two took off into the skies, their laughter echoing through the night.

Awww! It is moments like this that I enjoy writing the most.  :DD

Enjoy.

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Ch. 3 is up. ^

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Awwwh!! :) "Contemplation" moved me to tears almost. Awwwh, and yes words can't ever describe how much Devon means to Pterano!  :D  

And ohh yeah!! NO words can describe how glorious Pterano's night colors are.   AWWWH! What a tender chapter trulyfantasticme, and I loved the ending and how they went and took off as their laughter echoed through the night.

I can totally picture that, trulyfantasticme! :) I loved Chapter 3, Pterano and Devon's very tender moment, Devon offering to help Pterano lead, and Devon's "flying race" challenge at the very end. :) awwwh!! SO TENDER! :D :D I LOVED it!

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
What I meant by "I want Pterano to fail" is that I really want some real conflict in this. I Want Pterano to go through some internal strife and fight with himself. I don't want him to be praised 24/7.

JUst taking your latest chapter for example. Yeah, it's very nice and touching, but I'm just starting to think you praise Pterano TOO much.

You get me now?
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Meh, so tired. And my hands hurt like heck! But that's only because I just finished typing Chappie Four. So here it is, everybody! XD

------------------------------------------------

Chapter 4: Living a Nightmare

The night transformed to morning like winter transforms to spring. It was quite cloudy, and you could barely see any signs of blue sky. In other words, it looked like the Great Valley was in for one monster of a storm.

BOOM!! There goes the thunder already. Pterano snapped his eyes open as if the thunder was some sort of alarm. He blinked a few times, letting out a sleepy yawn before pushing himself to sit up. He turned his head around, taking a look at the cave and he realized that he was the only one in the cave. He just assumed Haylie and Devon just went to get breakfast. He figured he might as well do the same, before the storm grows worse.

So he took off into the air, allowing himself to absorb that fresh oxygen. It didn't last long though. For some reason, he couldn't fly correctly, although his wings were perfectly fine. It was as though he had suddenly crashed, or had been hit by a force from above. Gravity pulled on him as if it was a whirlpool, ready to catch all it's victims. So he plummeted to the earth, three hundred feet below. He tried flapping to get back to altitude, but he made no prevail. It was as if his wings had completely froze on him, even though it wasn't that cold out.

Falling; he watched as the sky grew farther and farther away. Falling; he watched as the ground grew closer and closer. Falling, ten feet from the ground; Pterano gave another titanic effort to flap his wings to at least stay afloat. But alas, he made no prevail. Five feet; he felt like the Stone of Cold Fire, landing on an alien planet. Two feet; he closed his eyes, preparing for impact. If he tried flapping, his wings would hit the ground and possibly end up breaking due to the force and momentum. Nothing could stop him now.

BOOM!! He hit the ground with hard impact, and lightning flashed at the same exact moment he did so. Black transformed into white in a fraction of a second and a crack was heard. Blood spilled all over the cold stone ground.

A raindrop fell on Pterano's beak, the slight pressure causing the old flyer to open his eyes. He was laying on his back, head turned towards the dark and cloudy skies. A bolt of lightning flashed the sky, and he felt yet another raindrop. And another and another. The rain increased it's speed until it felt like being smothered in freezing hail. Pterano didn't know how he did it, but it seemed as though he had miraculously survived that fall. So he sat up-wait. Sitting up? After a three hundred feet fall? How in the Great Valley was that possible?? Unless he was dead.

The very thought caused his heart to skip a beat. And he rapidly ran his hands thoughout his body, checking for injuries. He checked his heart and his pulse. They were still running, so he definitely wasn't dead. He ran his hands through his back, and felt a slippery, slimy substance that was spread on his back like peanut butter on bread. He caught a small fragment of the substance onto his talon and observed it. It was a deep red, a velvet deep red. Blood red even. Redder than him. It only meant one thing. What do you call a red, slipper substance that comes out of a wound on a living thing? Blood; pure blood. Nothing could explain it better.

Pterano jumped back a few feet in fright, his hands rapidly searching his back again. Surprisingly enough, his back felt completely unharmed. No scratches, no scraps, nothing but his own skin. And that meant...Pterano was lying in another dinosaur's blood. This blood could come from anywhere. It could come from a dead longneck or threehorn that was killed by a sharptooth. And he wouldn't want to stay to find out if the sharptooth was still around.

Pterano crawled away from the blood, and tried to find a place to wash himself free of the blood, perhaps a puddle of water would do him good. But instead he came across a puddle of mud. It was dirty, of course and definitely not what Pterano had in mind. But it was still water, provided it would take away the scent of blood. He threw himself into the mud puddle, sinking himself into the mud. He smothered himself with the mud, bathing until the scent of blood was gone. By the time he was done, he was completely covered in mud, and he looked more like the modern legendary sasquatch with wings.

He felt the ground for a leaf to wash his eyes but instead he felt an icy bump. At first, he thought it was just a frozen igneous rock in the ground. But what he saw nearly made him scream...or did he really scream? It was a hand. It was a hand of a corpse; a bloody cearadactylus corpse, lying on his back. A wooden spear pierced directly through his chest, leaving a bloody hole. His eyes were wide open, as if he saw a ghost. Scratches and bruises scattered about his body. His right foot was missing, as if it was either cut off forcefully, or wildly bitten off.

Fear, shock and melancholy had struck him as he almost immediatly recognized this flyer. He stumbled backwards, holding his chest as if his heart was ripped out. He knew this flyer, very well actually. This flyer, this stone cold dead flyer was Devon.

Desolated and grief-stricken, he took the lifeless boy into his arms, weeping uncontrollably as the reality sunk in. Devon's body was stiff, like a rock, indicating no signs of life. Pterano just continued to hold the boy he loved so dearly, burrying his face deep into his forehead, boisterous tears falling from his eyes. He kissed him, pounded on his chest as if to give him CPR, prayed to the heavens, as if begging to swap their places. He shut his eyes tightly, clutching to the corpse as if he would never let go.

A few seconds seemed like hours of pure lachrymosa pass by. The sky was darker, pitch black almost save for, of course, the lightning flashing in the sky every five seconds. Rage filled Pterano's features like a flood. He opened his eyes, the emotional fire causing his eyes to turn blood red. He wanted vengence. He was going to rip out the heart of the one who had killed his beloved son. He placed the corpse gently on the ground and clenched his fists, causing his muscles to flex. He took hold of the spear, and pulled it out of Devon's chest, causing blood to spill and scatter out like an explosion. Pterano didn't care; his red eyes were filled with determination. He was going to find Devon's murderer, if it was the last thing he did.

He checked for keeness in the spear, and felt the tip. Still as sharp as fast biter's teeth. He smirked at this result and he began his hunt in the forest. The vague shades of the trees made it almost possible to blend in with the forest, holding the spear in a firm grip. He moved about the area, blending in with the area. If you were standing there, Pterano would seem like a lurking shadow, waiting for the right moment to strike.

"Hello Pterano. Did you miss me?" A shallow, hoarse tone nearly caused the red flyer to jolt out of his skin and drop his spear. But he caught it in time to use it for defense. He whirled around and took a few frightened steps back.

Standing before him was a tall, brown pteranodon, smirking at him with the creepiest look. He was muscular, indicating that you wouldn't want to mess with him. He had a topaz shade of orange belly, with a light shade of cream. A scar stretched from his eyebrow to the bottom of his beak, which would explain why his eye was blood red. A lightning bolt flashed the sky, causing that red eye to glow for a fraction of a second.

Pterano could almost immediately tell that this was the one. This was the one he had been hunting for. This is the one who had murdered Devon. He could tell. He gritted his teeth, and pointed the spear at the flyer. "YOU!" he thundered, glaring at him now. "What have you done to my son?"

The strange flyer chuckled mischievously, approaching the red flyer. "Whatcha pointing fingers for, sonny? I never even had the chance to speak." he said, in that evil tone of his.

Pterano growled, and slapped him away. "Don't call me that! Now, I'll ask again. What have you done to my son?"

"Why are you blaming me? You're the one with the spear." The brown flyer laughed as another bolt of lightning flashed in the skies, thunder echoing througout the valley.

Pterano's eyes softened for a minute, realizing that the flyer was right. But that didn't give him the right to pass the blame. He slammed him against a tree, holding the spear directly at his throat. "Don't you DARE start with me, you lousy son of a tarpit! You killed my boy!" Right there, his voice began to crack.

"It wasn't me. It was you who did it, remember?" the strange flyer grinned now, removing the spear from his throat. "Don't you remember the sharptooth attack? Don't you remember the smell of blood? Don't you remember how you failed as a leader once again?"

Pterano gasped, dropping his spear in great shock. His heart ached as it skipped a beat. The older flyer approached him again, placing an arm around him and continued his story. "It was a glorious spring day in the so-called Great Valley. Children were playing while the adults either conversed or grazed on trees. Then, n earthquake struck the land, causing rockslides almost everywhere. Sharpteeth would block the exits as they lunged for the flesh. The leafeaters would throw treesweets, boulders, anything for survival. But there were too many sharpteeth. I was impressed when I witnessed you trying to fight off the sharpteeth as well but even that wasn't enough. Nevertheless you found a spear, and picked it up. At that very moment, you could see in the distance that your son was struggling to fight off a trio of fastbiters. You aimed for the fastbiters, and took your shot. But a loud roar caused by one of the megabiters threw off your aim...and the spear ended up hitting Devon instead of the fast biter." Pterano gasped yet again, eyes going wide, nausea filling his features. "Consumed by grief and guilt, you hung yourself, right there on that dead oak tree." The brown flyer pointed beyond as a couple of drops of blood dropped on Pterano's shoulder.

Pterano gazed up, his heart thundering in his chest as he could clearly see his own corpse hanging by a vine. His eyes were closed, and a frown of shame was on his face. Blood dripped from his neck, due to the pressure of the vine. His jaw dropped, and he couldn't take it anymore. This was his corpse. This was his corpse! HIS FREAKING CORPSE!!! Now it made sense why he didn't die when he fell three hundred feet. You can't kill the dead. He started quivering violently and he let out a loud shriek...

That actually seemed to echo out into the real world.

Pterano snapped his eyes open, panting heavily and his heart thundered as if it wanted to burst out of his chest. Devon was hovering over him, totally unharmed. There was no spear, no blood and his foot was still attatched to his ankle. There was no storm, no lightning, no thunder. Instead, it was a bright and sunny morning, not a cloud in the sky. Seeing this, his breathing slowed down in relief. "Finally! Yer awake!" Devon exclaimed, his voice so full of life. "I didn't know ya sucked yer talon!"

Right there, Pterano rolled his eyes to look at his talons. His first one was in his beak, and he immediatly spit it out, chuckling nervously. Devon couldn't help but chuckle at this. "Had a nightmare, Dad?"

"You have no idea..." Pterano drifted off, chuckling in joyous relief. He laid on his back, sighing, closing his eyes to calm down. He couldn't help but smile. It was all just a nightmare. No thunderstorm, no spears, no creepy old flyer, and best of all, his son was unharmed. All was good...for now.

-----------------------------------------------------

Dang that was a long one. Imma go to bed now. Gnight everyone!

Enjoy.

And don't forget to tell me whatcha think! XD

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
WOW! Hannah, you really had me going there. At first I thought. OMG! Devon really died! but then.. WHOA! Pterano's corpse!  :blink:

Whew! Thank goodness it was just a dream. I loved the ending where Devon said "I didn't know ya sucked yer talon." Heh heh! LOL!  :smile  that was funny. GREAT SUSPENSE AND ACTION there Hannah! A lot of scary suspense...but with a happy ending in the end :) Awwwh! ^_^ GREAT Job on chapter 4. I actually thought Pterano died from the fall! What suspense! :)

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I just have two word's for you Hannah. HOLY SHIT!!!!

This is what I was wanting. Pterano dealing with himself. :DD

I'm just looking forward to what this is forshadowing.
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)